PDA

View Full Version : Collars?????? :(

shais_mom
04-06-2002, 01:38 AM
I cannot find a collar that will work on Kylie.
When I first got her in June from my friend I noticed she had a sore on her neck, Jodi said "All my mom's cats have that every once in a while, its like in their blood or something". Well than right before Christmas another friend noticed Kylie had a sore on her neck and when I checked it out she had 2 open sores on her neck that were infected, bleeding where her collar was too tight (dumb kitty mom I am) and had grown into her neck.
I take full responsiblity for it. It wasn't anyone else's fault that I was stupid. I was devasted. I cried for poor Kylie. I was so upset. I felt I didn't even deserve a cat. I would never do anything to hurt her. She is my precious one.
I doctored her little neck and after about 2 mos if finally healed. So FINALLY....... I bought her a collar that I have on the last hole and can get about 3 fingers underneath, if not 4, and tonight when I was brushing her I noticed she has 2 rub marks on the top of her neck again. Now this collar is so loose I thought at first when she would bend her head the collar would fall off.
I think its important for her to have a collar with her name tag on it, just in case she accidently gets outside, altho I don't plan on purposely letting her get out again. She is banned from the outside. This collar has 2 stretchy circles on it so they can break away. And I stress again, it wasn't tight by anymeans.
I don't know what to use. Other friends have short and long haired cats with collars and no trouble, why am I having such bad luck?

sasvermont
04-06-2002, 05:59 AM
I have collars that I bought via the Vet....breakaway, which is important. I keep them almost to the point of falling off, and seem to have no problems. Maybe you should chip the cat rather than use a collar. I think it is a tad expensive to have the chip inserted, but well worth it if you have no other alternative. Maybe you could remove the collar at night? Or times when you think the cat would be more likely to escape! Let us know how it turns out for you! And Good Luck.

Gotta love those cats and their special needs!