PDA

View Full Version : Memorial ideas...

Alysser
12-27-2005, 11:24 PM
As some of you know, I recently lost a beloved member of my family. Sunny, my sweet parakeet. I can't think of any memorial ideas at all. The garden statue isn't going to cut it for me. Please don't suggest anything with picture becuase Sunny was scared of the camera so I never got a good shot of him. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Alyssa

Miss Z
12-28-2005, 05:30 AM
I write poems. It really helps if you get your feelings down on paper. You don't have to be a good writer, and the poem doesn't have to rhyme. You'll find that if you let your feelings out rather than bottling them up then you feel a lot better. It's much easier than talking to someone about it, which is what my parents usually want to do, and i usually end up snapping back at them something like , "DO I LOOK LIKE I'M OK??? DID YOU THINK THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD JUST WASH OVER MY HEAD AND I'D JUST GET ON WITH LIFE??? WELL THEN YOU MUST BE EXTREMELY DIM IN THE HEAD!!!!" and then i get all upset and feel worse. When i write my feelings down, i can show my parents the poem when i'm ready, and i don't have to keep all of mf feelings inside. The pain takes a while to heal, but i just find this helps. And it's a good way to remember what your pet was like and what he liked to do.

Alysser
12-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll think about it but I wanted something that would mark his grave.

Glacier
12-28-2005, 10:35 AM
What about a memorial stone you make yourself? I make one for each of my critters. I don't use them as grave markers as I have them cremated, but they would work as that.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/stuff/1ca75875.jpg
My hubby makes me the molds and I do the decorating ect. We use plywood molds, but any sturdy thing would work. The concrete is plain ol' readi-mix from the hardware store and I use pieces of glass, stones, ect to decorate. Each color has a meaning.

If you happen to live near a big craft store, you can buy stepping stone kits that include everything you need.

Miss Z
12-28-2005, 10:45 AM
OK, well for my pets we plant nice flowers that make their graves look beautiful

CathyBogart
12-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Perhaps you could make a donation to a bird rescue in his name?

crazy_caique
12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
I like the make a stepping stone idea!and the poem idea and the donation idea!
if you want combind them all.Like make a stepping stone with a poem about sunny and then take a pic of the stone and the best pic you can find of Sunny and make a copy of both and send it in to a bird resuce

Alysser
12-29-2005, 10:55 AM
That's a very good idea, Crazy. Glacier those a beautiful and I think I'll do what crazy suggested. I'm going to try that:) Thanks EVERYONE! I'll take pictures of how it turns out:D

IRescue452
12-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Maybe put a bird toy into the stone, or marbles with his colors. If he had a mirror toy or another flat toy that could be layed in the stone it would be cute. Have any of his feathers, maybe just a few little ones from the bottom of the cage? For a cute memorial for in the house you could get a clear glass ornament at the craft store and put a few of his feathers in it or make a design.

Alysser
12-30-2005, 09:13 PM
That's a wonderful idea. I love it. I'll do that to.