PDA

View Full Version : Kimmy and Kia mourn

ramanth
04-06-2002, 12:37 AM
My grandpa passed away tonight. I can't really believe he's gone. Although I'm relieved he's no longer in pain.

Grandpa was awesome. He joined the Navy when he was only 17, but lied about his age to get in. Shortly after enlisting, WWII broke out. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor with his friends but at the last minute was transferred to one of the few outgoing vessels. Then Hawaii was attacked. Grandpa lost a lot of friends and to this day he couldn't talk about it. But I think I gained much more insight to the War just in his silence than if he had told me all the stories of a life he lived.

After the war, he worked in the Navy as a Salvage diver. Ever seen "Men of Honor" with Cuba Gooding Jr.? That's what Grandpa did. Now THOSE were some stories. I have a pic of him in his gear too.

Grandpa taught me how to fish, boat, swim, and even how to properly "rip" off leeches. ;) :D Because believe me, I'd get a few while up to my knees in muck trying to catch frogs.

Grandpa certainly did help feed my Tom Boy spirit. Maybe that's why I love Sci-Fi and Star Wars so much. I wasn't raised a girly girl.

Kia's been bending over backwards to cheer me up and Andy drove allll the way over to comfort me. :)

I sure am going to miss him...... :( :( :(

I love you Grandpa.

zippy-kat
04-06-2002, 01:02 AM
What a life he had!

I am so sorry for your loss. Please know you are being sent well wishes...give Kia a hug for me!

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-06-2002, 01:06 AM
Sorry for your loss.
Well wishes being sent from our way too. **hugs to all of you** Grandpa's are awesome..... I am sure you will keep him in your memories and he will be smiling from above.:)

sabies
04-06-2002, 01:08 AM
so sorry to hear, sounds like he had a great life and family

shais_mom
04-06-2002, 01:13 AM
You have my heartfelt sympathy.
We are here if you need us.

My grandpa was a "all-star" softball player in WWII, when he died we buried a softball with him.
Before he had his stroke, (the last year of his life) he didn't know who you were most of the time but he NEVER forgot how to throw a ball.

LoudLou
04-06-2002, 02:08 AM
Kimmy- My heart goes out to you during this sad and difficult time. Know that we are all here for you and you have our deepest sympathy. Louie & The Beans send you and Kia warm, slurpy kisses.

Katie, Louie & The Beans

delidog
04-06-2002, 04:40 AM
kimmy,
i want to reiterate...you have our deepest sympathy...and understanding...i also,remember the loss of my dear grandfather...its' not easy...but do remember all the good times that you had(like leech ripping 101!!) these are thing that only a grandfather can teach!!!! he had a full and loving family and long and healthy life....please try and take comfort in that...we are here if you need anything....dogs are great at this time...it is good to sit on the floor next to them,bury your head in their fur,and just cry your eyes out if thats' what you feel...kia understands!!!

i am glad that you have people there to support you
bigs hugs...and lots of prayers from deli,ms.puss and i

Dixieland Dancer
04-06-2002, 05:16 AM
Kimmy, You have my sympathy on the loss of Grandpa.

Your Grandpa is extra special because he was a WWII veteran! My husband is a WWII history buff and through him, I have learned exactly what PRICE WAS PAID for our countries FREEDOM. It cost dearly as your Grandpa knew by the loss of many of his buddies. Through the stories he told you or you know he couldn't tell you, that fact lives on. I only regret that too many people think FREEDOM is their right. It is not a right, it is a PRIVILEDGE that was bought with the highest PRICE!

I personally salute your Grandpa and thank him. And thank you for sharing a little bit of him with us through your post!

sasvermont
04-06-2002, 05:52 AM
Your Grandpa was obviously a wonderful person and a great mentor. You will always have him in your heart. I am so sorry to hear of his passing.

AdoreMyDogs
04-06-2002, 06:35 AM
Now your Grandpa is reunited with all of the friends whom he lost at war. I am so sorry for your loss, Kimmy, but also glad that his suffering is overwith, and imagine how happy he is now together with all of his friends' who's life was cut short fighting for the freedom of this country.

Bless you, Kimmy and peace be with you in this time of mourning.

anna_66
04-06-2002, 07:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. It sounds like he had an amazing life, and you two had some wonderful times together. Just know that we are thinking about you.
{{{Cyber hugs}}} Anna, Angus & Roxey

Logan
04-06-2002, 09:31 AM
What beautiful memories you shared with us, Kimmy. Write them down, so you can always have them to look back on and share with your family in the future.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but what a wonderful life he had. I'm so proud that you could share his life with us.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Logan

Former User
04-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Sorry for your loss Kimmy! At least you have nice memories now, and your grandpa doesn't have any pain anymore. Take care ok?

momoffuzzyfaces
04-06-2002, 10:09 AM
Kimmy, I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. Grandpas are special all right. I lost mine when I was 11 but still remember him and lots of good times we had. My prayers are with you and your family as you go through this difficult time.

Sudilar
04-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Ah, what wonderful memories you have of your Grandfather. Cherish those thoughts and live your life to the fullest, just as your Grandfather had inspired you.

I am so very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a remarkable man. You were lucky to have had him in your life. Remember him always.

Sue

Albea
04-06-2002, 11:39 AM
Kimmy:
Thank you for sharing those wonderful memories with us. Please accept our deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved grandfather. He sounds like a great man whose life will always be part of yours.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-06-2002, 12:00 PM
Oh, Kimmy, I am soooo sorry, to hear about your Grandfather.:( :( I know how you feel.

My dad's mother, died when my dad was only 18 years old! I didn't even get to meet her.:(

I will keep you and your family, in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Sarah & Sadie

lizbud
04-06-2002, 01:48 PM
Kimmy,

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandpa.
His spirit and wisdom will live on in your heart forever.
Please accept my sincere condolences. Kia can be a
big help to you during this sad time. Liz.

RachelJ
04-06-2002, 04:58 PM
Kimmy

I am so sorry for your loss. The more caring and loving a person is, the harder it is when they must leave us. What a beautiful tribute you have written for your grandfather. He must have known how very special he was to you and what a joy it must have been to know how much you cared for him and appreciated him. He was obviously a good grandpa and you a good granddaughter.

Like the others your tribute brings back memories of my own grandpa who died when I was about your age. He is the one deceased relative that I *talk to* sometimes. I really hope he hears me and knows how much he meant to me. So, Kimmy, I'm going to join you.....I love you Grandpa.

mugsy
04-06-2002, 05:17 PM
Kimmy,

You have the Kendall's sympathy. Your grandpa sounded really neat. My dad is a WWII vet...he was a pilot and flew B-17s (the Flying Fortress) over Germany...he doesn't really talk a lot about the fighting, but has great stories to tell also. I wouldn't trade him for anything. He is 83 and is basically an invalid, but he's still my dad. Your grandpa sounds like he had a full life, and I'm really sorry for your loss. Be proud to have a veteran as a grandpa because, because of him, we are able to live as we do...free and with everything we could ever want and also be proud that he was YOUR grandpa!

Molly

tatsxxx11
04-06-2002, 06:26 PM
Dearest Kimmy
I am so sorry to hear of your Grandpa's passing. What an amazing man, dedicated, courageous, compassionate; a true American Hero. You have written so tenderly of your relationship with him. He surely played an important role in your life here on earth, and will forever hold a very special place in your heart. He may be gone from this physical world, buy Kimmy, I think there is a lot of him, his spirit and his love, in you, and that will live on. I have always believed that the greatest thing a person can do in his or her life, is to have made a real difference, a positive one, in the life of another. I think your Grandpa did just that for you. What a wonderful, loving, lasting legacy that is. Thank you for sharing your memories of him with us. How proud you must be so say you are his grandaughter. We love you Grandpa.

Kimmy, my family sends to you and your family all of our love and will keep you in our heart and our prayers. Love, Sandra

jackiesdaisy1935
04-07-2002, 09:59 AM
Kimmy, I am so sorry for your loss. Your Granpa did have a wonderful, exciting life. It sounds like he lived life to the fullest, something we all wish we could do. I can imagine how much you miss him, he was your best friend.
Don went in the Navy at 18 and spent many years in there. He retired in the 60s. He was in heliocopters during Korea and Viet Nam. Once a Navy man always a Navy man.
Your Grandpa was one of our true Heros and I know he will be greatly missed.
Jackie

kobieeli
04-07-2002, 06:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your beloved Grandpa's passing, Kimmy. You wrote a wonderful tribute for such a special man. It made me realize how much I missed not having a grandfather in my life for the past many years (the first died when I was only a year old, the other when I was ten). They are a treasure, each and every one.

AmberLee
04-07-2002, 06:19 PM
{{{Kimmy}}},

So sorry to hear of your grandfather's death. This must be a rough time for you. Your stories of his life and what he meant to you will be very healing. Treasure the memories and work with your family right now. [Also the Pet Talk bunch is good to share memories with. ;) ] Hang in there.

sammi
04-07-2002, 07:23 PM
So sorry you last your grandfather. Sounds like you have wonderful memories of him. Will keep you in my prayers.

Pam
04-07-2002, 07:34 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your grandfather. The tribute that you wrote for him is very touching and special. I never knew either one of my grandfathers. They had passed away when I was a baby, before I was old enough to become acquainted with them. You have wonderful memories to cherish and hopefully they will help get you through this sorrowful time. May each day be a little easier for you..

Stenograsaurus
04-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Kimmy:
I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your grandfather.:( I will say a prayer that you and the rest of your family finds strength and comfort during this most difficult time.
Beth

Gio
04-08-2002, 04:27 AM
Kimmy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather :( My thoughts are with your entire family.

ramanth
04-08-2002, 09:33 AM
Thank you everyone.

It's more of a shock now. Last week was hard but this week will be harder. My parents and grandma will get home today. For now the funeral is scheduled for Friday.

I'm oddly calm now but I know I'll lose it on Thursday. Or tonight when I get home and see my parents.

When I got the call Friday night, I called Andy immediately and he wasted no time in driving out to my house. I cried while waiting for him. Poor Kia didn't know what was wrong but did her best to make me smile. :)

04-08-2002, 09:50 AM
Kimmy, I'm so so sorry about your grandfather. It sounds like he led a great life though. Take care of yourself. I'm glad you had Andy around to help you through this.

My condolences to you and your whole family.

purrley
04-08-2002, 10:29 AM
God Bless you Kimmy - so sorry about your Grand Dad. My prayers and thoughts are with you:(

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Kimmy,

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

It sounds like your Grandpa had an exciting life and a great family. I am sure he will live on in your memories forever.

hobird58
04-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Kimmie,

gosh, how sad. Was your Grandpa from Michigan too? My husband lost his grandma back there last year, it is so hard. My dad is a vet from WWII also, he was a CB on Iwo Jima, they sure do have a lot to be proud of, it is such a tradgedy that we have to lose them all. I am so happy my dad is in great health and he is 81! Cherish all those wonderful memories of your Grandpa, and that will keep him alive for your kids in the future.

all my thoughts are with you this week, help your Mom and Grandma and that will help you too!

Sally (with the Eaton Rapids inlaws)

PS.. thanks for the posting all about the stuff he taught you, that is so wonderful..