PDA

View Full Version : Cat MicroChipping

csanchezveloso
12-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Hi Everyone..
First of all, happy holidays to all. :)

I haven't logged on for a while and am anxious to read up on the new babies and hear about the older babies..

Also, I wanted to pick your brain on this one.. My soon to be 3 years old babies are going to the vet this coming month. I'm considering microchipping them while I'm there. What are your thoughs/opinions on this? Worth it? Does it hurt them? etc..

Thanks for all your help!

Shady
12-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Everyone..
First of all, happy holidays to all. :)

I haven't logged on for a while and am anxious to read up on the new babies and hear about the older babies..

Also, I wanted to pick your brain on this one.. My soon to be 3 years old babies are going to the vet this coming month. I'm considering microchipping them while I'm there. What are your thoughs/opinions on this? Worth it? Does it hurt them? etc..

Thanks for all your help!

Mine are all indoor cats. They are Persians and only one came MicroChipped. It Doesnt hurt them in the least.

I suppose if there is a chance they can be lost or escape it might be worth it, or if they are outdoors wandering (not a good idea for many reasons) I would do it.

Mine have no interest in the outdoors.

JenBKR
12-27-2005, 02:42 PM
I think it's a great thing, especially of there's a chance of your kitty escaping, or if he/she is an outdoor cat. Neither of mine are microchipped, but that's just because neither would even consider going outside - they run the other way when the door opens :rolleyes: LOL always a good idea, it's quick and painless.

Miss Z
12-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I think that it's a brilliant idea. The chip is so tiny and can store so much information,. like medical records, address etc. Here's a picture of one next to rice:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/maproomsystems/microchip.jpg
It's so tiny, that to your pet, it's not really different to having any other injection. They help return so many lost pets back to their owners and they don't end up as strays or being rehomed. I'd recommend it.

catmandu
12-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I am debating having JJJ3 done,as he is the Cat most likely to pull off the Great Escape.
If anything ever happened where the bi Gray Tuxedo ever got lost,I would never forgive myself.

QueenScoopalot
12-27-2005, 04:49 PM
It's worth every penny getting it done. Although most of mine aren't microchipped I'm on the list for the poor house and a paupers grave, I have heard of cats (and dogs) being reunited with their people even nine years later due to the chips. :eek: Kuhio (Lisa) has been an advocate for microchipping ever since she lost her beloved kitty Kuhio, and Kuhio ended up in a shelter and was euthanized before they found her. :( Go for it. ;)

Glacier
12-27-2005, 04:52 PM
All my cats are indoor only and they are all chipped. You just never know. Even a cat who never goes near a door could find a way out someday. It's an added measure of safety. My cats never even noticed when they got chipped.

Grace
12-27-2005, 06:22 PM
We have 5 cats - 2 indoor, 3 that are in/out. They are all chipped. As far as the indoor girls - it's insurance, peace-of-mind. I highly recommend it.

boscibo
12-27-2005, 06:27 PM
My three are all indoors (Hanna does go out with VERY close supervision) and they are all chipped. On another message board I read, I read about a person who had an apartment fire, and one of his cats was never found afterwards. There was no body found, so it is believed the cat escaped the fire, but she was not seen again. :(

Peace of mind for me - microchips.

kuhio98
12-27-2005, 07:16 PM
As others have mentioned, I am 100% for microchipping. Even indoor kitties are regular Houdini's if they want outside badly enough. If we had known about microchipping in time, we could have saved Kuhio from being put to sleep all alone and scared at the shelter. All of our babies are chipped. Halo weighs 10 pounds, no problem. Cammie weighs 9 pounds, no problem. Pepper weighs 6 pounds, no problem. The only kitty that seems to have experienced some discomfort when we got him chipped is my sister's cat "Seymour". Seymour is over 20 pounds and the vet explained that all the scars around his neck (from his days on the street) made it a little tougher to get the needle in. But, no one ever experienced any infection or anything. Go for it! If your babies ever get away from you, your chance of being reunited with them is much increased if they are chipped.

AmberLee
12-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Have you seen Richard's thread called "The Long Strange Trip (http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?t=95743) ?"

AmberLee
12-27-2005, 08:12 PM
In theory both my Persoicacity and Olivia are indoor only cats but both have 'door dashing' moments. Both are microchipped and it gives me peace of mind. I had Cassy chipped when he was neutured, and Livvy on her first checkup after she came to live with us.

Cassy needed an x-ray once, and I was absurdly pleased to see the little chip between his shoulder blades, at least after I quite freaking out and the vet explained it! :o I can't feel it on either fur-kids.

Don Juan's mom
12-28-2005, 10:18 AM
I had Don Juan microchipped at my vet, after a sad incident involving a dog that escaped from its yard, was taken to the Humane Society (where I adopted Don Juan) and then rehomed, leading to a public spat between the two families. My vet charged about $40 USA for the procedure. I then paid, ummmmm, $12.50? to register the microchip-- an essential step, to insure that the pet comes back to you if he/she gets lost.

Zerlina was microchipped by her rescue organization, Hopalong Animal Rescue.

Neither kitty had a problem with the procedure.

Liz