PDA

View Full Version : Movign with my cat.................. Please Help Me?

RottieLover
04-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Hey everyone I have a problem!!
I just moved back home from a horse ranch I useto work at, & I brought my barn cat home with me. She is used to being an "inside" cat, she did once use a litter box (I was seeing if she would for when I go to college).

I got her in the car, no problem. :)
I put her in a pet taxi, no problem. :)
I put her in my room, no problem. :)
She won't eat unless I'm there, little problem. :(

I put cat litter in her box....... she hasn't used it.......... she hides from the box.
SO, I put dirt in it (I put dirt in the other one because I didn't have any cat litter when I tried it), I put her in to so she knew it was there, she didn't jump out right away she pawed it once sniffed at it & then jumped out.
:confused:
I live in the Texas Hill Country, I have 2 dogs & 3 other cats...... she hasn't met the dogs yet & only met two of the cats, I put the older cat in my room with her for a little while untill she rolled over & fell asleep. Thinking if she gets useto the older cat she'd stay with him.
I tried putting butter on her paw & letting her out side..... she just started to run off & I couldn't think what would happen if something happend to her & it would be my falt (when I first found her she was very scared of everything).
But when I brought her back in the house she ran back into my room. So she knew where that was..........

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to help my cat settle in her new home?
I brought her yesterday afternoon (thursday).

Please help me............ I'm not very good at the cat thing & she's the only cat thats ever adopted me. I mean look at my name, I haven't been on here in a year, almost. I'm a dog person, with ten thousand cats & one that loves me......... HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP??????????????

Thanks for listening/reading!
[email protected]

aly
04-05-2002, 10:46 PM
I would just give her more time to adjust. I'd recommend leaving her inside 100% if you can. If she's just dying to get outside, I'd still wait a couple weeks at least before letting her out so she can establish that as her home.

I work at a shelter and very often we adopt out cats who go home and won't eat or potty for the first few days because they are still adjusting. They do come around though. Most cats are really frightened in new surroundings and its just a matter of becoming familiar with the territory. I'd leave her in your room only until she's really comfortable, then let her out into the rest of the house.

Good luck!!!!!! :)

RottieLover
04-05-2002, 11:01 PM
Thank you!.............. I'm worried about her. & I dont want anything bad to happen to her...........

sometimes being a mom is a pain in the tail! :mad:

Karen
04-05-2002, 11:04 PM
I would give her a little time to adjust, but as Aly said, keep her inside. She's had a BIG cjange .. she's probably a little freaked out - I wouldn't panic quite yet - when she NEEDS to go, she will! :)

zippy-kat
04-05-2002, 11:45 PM
This is from one of my child psychology classes a few years back--

Humans (babies in particular) will not defecate UNLESS they feel safe. I'm sure this is applies to kitties too! Give her a couple of days to adjust & I'll bet you'll have a litterbox full :D

PS Had to chuckle at the "dog person with 10,000 cats and only one who loves me..." :D Gotta love that feline independence!

PPS Welcome back to PetTalk!!

lbaker
04-06-2002, 06:24 AM
Didn't I hear somewhere that music can sooth (sp?) a savage beast? She may not be savage but soothing music (or you softly singing) may be calming..it will be OK. Your stress over the matter will only hurt things. Caaaalllmmmm down and relax. It will be OK.