PDA

View Full Version : The Bad Gifts of 2005

catnapper
12-26-2005, 08:52 AM
LOL, I was laughing my butt off at some of the bad gifts people were mentioning in a previous thread. I thought we'd see what truly awful gifts were given this year.

For my family, I told my SIL that I was getting my older daughter a digital camera, and that she needed accessories. I mentioned that a tripod would be AWESOME. On Christmas Eve, and she opened up a pack of (50) 4x6 STAPLES brand photo paper. :eek: That was all she got from my brother and his wife! And Ash is just walking around mumbling, "paper, I got a pack of paper for Christmas!" :D :p

I know its the thought that counts, but what were they thinking?

Alysser
12-26-2005, 09:06 AM
PAPER????HAHA! Sorry, but that is to funny. My brother got an applebees gift card and he hates applebees. My friend gave me soap! Which, I thought was the worst present in the world!

Anita Cholaine
12-26-2005, 09:10 AM
lol... Paper, that's a nice christmas gift... :rolleyes:

I think someone gave me soap on another Christmas, that's very funny too!

Alysser
12-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Sassy gave me a book:) It was so sweet. But my best friend gave me soap. I gave her a bear with lotion lol. She said she has something else though :p

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-26-2005, 10:07 AM
A friend gave me a huge green garden bag. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
What was she thinking :confused: :confused: I NEVER do garden work :eek: :p

WolvesRawk
12-26-2005, 10:14 AM
My mom gave me deoderent. :rolleyes: I also got a punching robot toy from my brother. My uncle gave me only 2$. At least it's better than the hello kitty bracelet he got me for my birthday.

RedHedd
12-26-2005, 10:48 AM
I received a candle in the shape of a turkey :rolleyes: and a makeup bag in the most gawdawful colored floral-something print. They're getting donated to the local AIDS charity.

catnapper
12-26-2005, 11:25 AM
LOL... in defense of mothers around the world, my kids also got deoderant, shampoo, razors, etc. as stocking stuffers... but at least I took the girls and they picked out which razors and such they wanted. At least I promised not to do this year what I did last year (as a gag of course) I got a super-sized box of tampons from Sams Club and wrapped them and put them under the tree. LOLOLOLOL.... their reactions were priceless, especially since I'm the LAST person in the world who'd have done that :p

But its the people who give deoderant, soaps, etc as the main or only gift that make me wonder!

As for my daughter's paper, I just checked out my Staples (had to return a different gift) and the pack of paper was $5.99.

Corinna
12-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Ok this is bad but not Bad. My daughter gave me a nestles crunch bar(one of those small santa shaped ones) Ok except I'm diabetic and she knows it (shes 24 not like she didn't understand ) then she says make sure you eat it in several sittings PLEASEIt's chocolate !!!!!
At least my son (22) got sugarless M&M's , a big bag.

MariaM
12-26-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't think photo paper is a bad gift. I also don't think antiperspirant is a bad gift, I've received that too.
The slippers I received this year I do not like it all, and it kind of makes me sad because you can tell they aren't my style. I think my mom would know I wouldn't like them - they look more for people in their 60's. Of course I know its the thought that counts, and appreciate that, I just thought my mom knew me a bit more.
Probably one of the worst gifts I've received was a couple years ago. I opened it up, and there was a kleenex bos. Well, that wasn't a big deal because my mom usually disguises things in kleenex boxes, but I was quite surprised to see this was filled with actual kleenexes. They weren't even the soft kind. :p

Catsnclay
12-26-2005, 12:43 PM
My neighbor just asked me over to show me her gift from her 24 year old nephew who now lives in CA (we live in AZ)

First, my neighbors are in their early 60's and George (the husband) has a LOT of health issues (just got out of the hospital after ER surgery :eek: ) They don't travel at all..................so:

She opened the gift and it was a plastic Barbie purse (did I mention that they were in their 60's ?? :rolleyes: ) a seashell, and two $1.00 gift certificates to Disneyland.

What the :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

WolvesRawk
12-26-2005, 01:10 PM
LOL... in defense of mothers around the world, my kids also got deoderant, shampoo, razors, etc. as stocking stuffersShe even had it wrapped and it was one of my only gifts from my mom.

Karen
12-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Well, my "secret Santa" at work this year was my boss. He means well, I know he does, but he just doesn;t "get" my food allergies. EVERYONE else in the office knows at least that I am allergic to "tree nuts" - and they asked that I post the list of my allergies in the office kitchen, just in case. My boss? He got me a big box of the Ferrero-Rocher chocolates - that say "Fine HazelNUT chocolates" on the front of the package. Sigh.

He does mean well.

slleipnir
12-26-2005, 01:27 PM
All my gifts at my dads house were from my pets...how could they be bad?? :p

christa
12-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Someone gave me the ugliest ornament that I've ever seen before. I wish I'd have kept it & took a pic but I actually threw it away when I brought it home. It was supposed to be a tree decorated like a cookie but it looked like it had poop on it . . . I guess it was supposed to be decorated with cholocate but the "chocolate" looked like poop! . . . I promise . . . . even my husband thought so! :eek:

king2005
12-26-2005, 01:48 PM
All my gifts at my dads house were from my pets...how could they be bad?? :p

ahhh so you got dug up bones for xmas, not bad I guess :) hehe

I got a poo brown jump suit with sparkly PINKstripes :rolleyes:

For anyone who knows me, I DON"T wear pink anything, I'm not a girly girl, I like t-shirts & jeans, or collectibles

caseysmom
12-26-2005, 02:04 PM
My daughters friends family always leave the price tags on gifts....and a few times you could tell they had torn off the red clearance tag. Is that tacky or what? So they want us to think they paid more or what...and these folks have money, its just really tacky to me. I always hide the price...how does everyone else feel about leaving the price on gifts?

Husky_mom
12-26-2005, 02:10 PM
ha ha ha
I just thought my mom knew me a bit more.

itīs been 20 years since i told my mom i didnt liked m&mīs and every christmas, easter, etc. she gives me M&Mīs !!! LOL even that i "remind" her every time after she gives them to me..........

this year i got a CD/DVD of Alejandro Fernandez, and i dont even like him!!! iīll see if i can get store credit for it so i can exchange it for something else, fingers crossed.

i got a couple nice gifts though, some clothes, slippers, boots, NY baseball, a pen with a wolf my sis brought from canada, and my new Digi!!!! so iīll be posting soon my kids!!!

gemini9961
12-26-2005, 02:14 PM
I always hide the price...how does everyone else feel about leaving the price on gifts?

I take off the tags too. I hate when I get something with the price on it. I don't want anyone to know how much I spent on them. I'm not cheap either, to me it's the right thing to do and take off the price.

I didn't get any "bad" gifts. I liked everything I got. :)

Uabassoon
12-26-2005, 03:32 PM
I got many pairs of socks this year. I can understand my mom getting me socks, she has this idea that socks keep colds away. However why my aunt gave me socks.. I'll never know. I also got this horrible leather braided bracelet from another aunt. I've never once worn jewlery other, it was from one of those mail order jewlery companies. I think she just ordered a bunch of stuff, wrapped them then attached peoples names to the boxes.

king2005
12-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I always hide the price...how does everyone else feel about leaving the price on gifts?

I never look at the tags cause I don't really care. Put when it comes between my sister & I, we always tell eachother how much we spend so we get equal gifts (so the other doesn't feel like crap if they buy the other something far cheaper.)

For about 5yrs I never spent a dime on my sister, as she was a HORRIBLE human being at the time & I wanted nothing to do with her until she cleaned up. Well she was clean & well behaved for a whole year & there was a HUGE sale at my store. The manager knew I was excited about getting stuff for my sister cause she had worked SO hard to clean up.. so my manager put the managers sale ontop of all the sale stuff. I spent $20.00 & have 4 boxes full of bath stuff (my sister LOVES that stuff) :) On the receipt it said I saved $100.00 on the origional sale price!!! I also wasn't charged any tax!!! My sister has always looked up to me & all the stuff ment so much to her, shes been clean for several years & calls me all the time now, esp. when shes upset.

Kfamr
12-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I don't think any of the gifts I got were horrible. I got a thing of construction paper, markers, 36 pack of batteries, and a few of my relatives even gave me dog toys/treats because they weren't sure what to get me. I'm sure those are gifts people would consider "bad" but they're probably some of my favorite gifts!

carole
12-26-2005, 04:55 PM
my late mother n law was known for her weird and wonderful gifts at birthdays and xmas, sometimes she would suprise us with something awesome and next time it was something none of us could use or something very cheap, but somehow it always added to the suprise element, because you never really knew what you would get from her, either a dud pressie or a really great one, bless her.

I have always been fortunate and get mostly everything I love, I know they say it is the thought that counts, but sometimes you can tell very little thought was put into it, that is what I knew with my mother n law no matter how outrageous the gift and totally not what you would want, I knew she had put a lot of thought into regardless, LOL.

LKPike
12-26-2005, 05:01 PM
well last christmas I opened a gift from my husband and to my surprise... kyoto vitamins! yaaaaay..... lol thats what I SAID too! lol but he said "... well? open the box" it was a gold cross necklace, just boxed in an old vitamin box :rolleyes:

we got 75$ in cracker barrel gift cards from my grandmother and uncle and aunt.... my husband and I can't STAND cracker barrel....

OH! and I agree about leaving price tags on gifts, I don't think its very nice and should be removed.

catnapper
12-26-2005, 06:49 PM
LOL... too funny!

My mom is the worst at leaving price tags in.... but its not because she wants to brag about the cost of the item (knowing mom she got anywhere from 25%-75% off it anyway) she leaves the tags on because she forgets to take them off. I too am somewhat guilty of that. I bought my daughters jewelry boxes - small little ones covered in black ultra-suede. I paid a whopping $1.33 for them. One box I remembered to take the tag off before wrapping, the other one still had the $15.00 original tag (thank goodness they knew nothing of my major sales coup, only the original price! :D :D )

That reminds me, their other aunt bought them these HIDEOUS silver baroque style jewelry boxes. They are gaudy to the extreme. Inside she loaded it with cheapo jewelry from the Goodwill and such. She never even cleaned the jewelry... its got that goopey green stuff on it from not being cleaned! :eek:

As for the gifts being bad or not... if the photo paper were given to ME, it would be appropriate since I am forever using photo paper to print out the photos I'm doing portraits of. I actually prefer the cheapo stuff because then I don't feel bad when I run off 10 copies of the same photo only to trash it the next day. but for it to be the ONLY gift given to a 17 year old? Even my mom had a comment about it when she visited me today. She felt bad for Ash and said next year I need to give SIL a printed list of what they want and where to buy it.

k9krazee
12-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I was pleased with the majority of the gifts I got this year...I got a $50 gift certificate to PetsMart, scrapbooking supplies, Sudoku books, my brother got my a couple picture computer programs and a few other little things.

But...My mom bought me a HUGE really soft orange sweatshirt. It wouldn't have been bad except that its 20 sizes too big :eek: I have no idea what she was thinking...how big does she think I really am :(

This year my mom bought my brother a $.75 mystery puzzle from goodwill and half of the pieces are missing...great gift :rolleyes:.

chrissycat21
12-26-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't think I got any bad gifts this year. But, I did give one of my cousins socks (along with some other things) since he doesn't bother to buy his own.

luvofallhorses
12-26-2005, 09:06 PM
None of my gifts were bad, I loved everything!! :D

Queen of Poop
12-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Oh my God, what were they thinking??? My MIL gave me the most awful pair of slippers ever!! They're peach and baby blue colored, with big foamy soles. To try to walk down stairs in them is taking one's life into one's own hands. They are an accident waiting to happen, not to mention highly unfashionable. But then, the capper was my gift from the family gift exchange. My SIL gave me a necklace and matching earrings. Now granted she has been living in the States for a number of years and has recently moved back to Canada and does not know me very well. But please - these are the most awful pieces of jewellery I have ever seen. I don't mean to be ungrateful because it is supposed to be the thought that counts, but was there any thought put into this gift. :rolleyes:

Addie
12-26-2005, 09:33 PM
i don't think pricetags are bad...you may see how much the thing cost...but if you don't like it you can return it to the store and get a refund...my nana always leaves the receipt in the bag too...but that's just me...normally if i return something i tell them...

I got good things this year...but sometimes i feel really bad because my mom got me a really cute horse sweater, but it is sooo itchy inside, i barely have any longlsleve shirts, and it has no pockets...and my nana got me this down vest...and i always wear that, instead of what my mom got me...grrr...

CathyBogart
12-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I actually didn't see any bad gifts get handed around at my place this year....however...

My mom always buys about five extra unmarked gifts so that if anyone unexpected shows up we have a gift for them. They're usually pretty good, unisex gifts, but this year we accidentally gave a very girly candle holder to a male relative. We swapped it for a box of truffles after he opened it. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I didn't really get any bad gifts. Just some things that aren't my taste.
My mother-in-law gave me hair scrunches, I can't remember the last time I wore one of those. I'm going to give them to one of my coworkers that wears scrunches.
Justin's grandma gave me an ugly angel statue thing. It's going in my friends garage sale.

MariaM
12-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Ugh...my mom leaves the price tags on too, but I know its not how much she paid for it. My slippers said "$20.00" or something, and I KNOW she wouldn't pay that much. So it bothers me when she wants it to look like she paid more. Either keep on the original or take it all off please.

Also, it's not so much the gifts, its the thought that went into it. I mean, I don't really see HOW my mother could think I would enjoy opening up a box of Kleenex, or how she EVER thought I could like those slippers. She even told me "I just wanted you to have something to open". It's like she didnt even expect me to like them. We are at my aunt's and uncle's this year so she used that as an excuse for not getting us much. I got slippers and a pair of pj pants. (I love the pants, they have dalmatians and I can tell she put thought into that.)

Anyway, I hope I don't sound spoiled. It's just I got myself really excited to be in the holiday season. I understand if there's no money, or no time, but when there is no thought, it makes me sad. :(

animal_rescue
12-27-2005, 02:24 AM
ugh ok I don't mind blabbing this out, because for me it's normal, but if anyone has a problem with this PM me and I'll delete it... but this year my worst present was my . yes that's right my . Ain't it great ;) No way can this be returned, exchanged, or donated! Trust me I would do it in a heartbeat if I could... the best I know I can do it lock myself in my bedroom with a heating pad and Maggie and lots o lots of chocolate! *Grumbles off about being miserable and angry at the world*

CathyBogart
12-27-2005, 02:36 AM
LOL! I got that one too. No good.

smokey the elder
12-27-2005, 07:41 AM
I got this sweater with pastel horizontal stripes; ugh. That will be a donation at next year's Penny Social! :D

elizabethann
12-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Funny thread.

A majority of my gifts were awesome. However, my neice gave me a calendar with those dogs & cats with the giant heads & eyeballs. I think those things are butt ugly. I don't think I'll even put it up. Then my other neice gave me day of the week socks? What??!! That's just as bad as day of the week underwear! Then one of my boss's at work got me a cat calendar that looks like it was purchased at the Dollar Store. It's black & white and the photos aren't that great and it's on awfully thin paper. It's not very attractive.

Thank God for regifting!!!

:D

JenBKR
12-27-2005, 10:04 AM
ugh ok I don't mind blabbing this out, because for me it's normal, but if anyone has a problem with this PM me and I'll delete it... but this year my worst present was my . yes that's right my . Ain't it great ;) No way can this be returned, exchanged, or donated! Trust me I would do it in a heartbeat if I could... the best I know I can do it lock myself in my bedroom with a heating pad and Maggie and lots o lots of chocolate! *Grumbles off about being miserable and angry at the world*

I got that too! That was my Thanksgiving gift also, so doesn't that just suck :(

Corinna
12-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Thank Goodness for getting older and Menopause.

RedHedd
12-27-2005, 11:23 AM
:D Yup. It actually took me a few minutes to figure out what they were takling about :D

carole
12-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I was just about to post and ask what on earth are you all talking about , then Corinna's post spelt it out in black and white lol,ah such is life girls at least you are not alone on this one for sure,for me it was my birthday, not to mention a bad head cold and the headache from hell as well. lol :)

pnance
12-27-2005, 03:30 PM
My stepmom sent me a small stuffed santa and a little bobble head dog with a santa hat.

Mind you all this would be cute if I was maybe 8, but I'm 33, a stuffed santa???

Nomilynn
12-27-2005, 03:40 PM
I got fired from my job.

I went in to work today and worked an hour and I was pulled aside and told I had to be let go because people with seniority want more hours.

I've got $1.27 to my name and rent due in 4 days. Merry bleeping Christmas.

:( :( :(

Vio&Juni
12-28-2005, 12:00 PM
I got fired from my job.

I went in to work today and worked an hour and I was pulled aside and told I had to be let go because people with seniority want more hours.

I've got $1.27 to my name and rent due in 4 days. Merry bleeping Christmas.

:( :( :(

Did you have a contract signed with them? What is good about the labour legislation here is that they CANNOT fire you for a thing like that. You can go to court and when you get the job back, and you DO get it back! they would pay you the full salary for the whole period you stayed without a job.

You are a smart girl and you'll get a new job, too bad this happened at this time when you didn't have money put aside. Good luck!

mina'smomma
12-28-2005, 01:24 PM
My Christmas went pretty well.

The bad gift was lotto tickets in envelope from my sister. No card or nothing, but three lotto tickets in an envelope with hubby and my name on it. Everyone else got some rather nice gifts from this sister. Her reason??? I didn't know if they would be here! Hello its the holidays of coarse I would be there.

RobiLee
12-28-2005, 01:29 PM
I can't really say that I got any bad gifts this year. I guess I got lucky. I have gotten a few giggles from you guys;). Sometimes people are just clueless, aren't they?

Nomilynn, I am so sorry about your job. I hope you are alright and I'll be thinking about you. {{HUGS}}

My Peanuts
12-28-2005, 04:20 PM

I got that gift the day after Christmas, but it was planned. Get it the day after Christmas gone by New Years. I love the Pill :p

sandragonfly
12-28-2005, 05:37 PM
{{chuckles}} too funny. all what I got were great! and no . yet.. ;) :p ((hugs))

but worst gifts of 2005 - on my birthday! (a day before halloween)...so I get orange/black gift wrappings, gifts often are related to black cat or jack-o-laterns, (bags, jewerlies, books, bookmarks, etc.) ...not that I mind if I don't get it every year!!

Cataholic
12-29-2005, 06:58 PM

And for extended nursing! :D