PDA

View Full Version : All hell brakes!

Heather Wallace
04-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Today has been a nightmare and a little sad also as Twinkle got hurt (twinkle one of the young male rabbits).

I am a pet sitter and we had a young pointer dog come to stay for the weekend, she is very excitable but she was ok with the rabbits, she went up to the hutch and they all sniffed through the bars at each other etc. I put the male rabbits into their run in the garden. Pearl, thats the dog went upto the run and all was well until she started to run around the rabbit run, jumping back and forth, she wouldn't have hurt the buns she was just over excitted about meeting her first bunny rabbits. anyway as you can imagine it totally startled the poor buns as started to throw themselves up onto the side of the rabbit run, then they started to jump on each other. I got quite worried but the worst was yet to come as then they started to fight with each other which they have never done before, they are not neutered but they are the best of friends usually. We had to split them up as fur went flying. The thing was Twinkle got hurt, just where his whiskers are, I had to bathe his little cut that he had. I put them back into their hutch and all was forgiven so after - things went back to normal.

zippy-kat
04-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Goodness! I'm so sorry little bunny-boo got hurt! Give him a kiss for me!!

Edwina's Secretary
04-05-2002, 03:25 PM
When I was in school and two girls would get into a fight people would yell..."Cat fight, cat fight!" So I am picturing "Bunny fight, bunny fight!"

So sorry Twinkle got the short end of it. Not knowing bunnies at all it is just so hard to imagine such gentle creature fighting!

Bunnicula05
04-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Awwww, but he'll be okay. Good thing is was only just a stratch. Love the pics by the way! Hehehe...

momoffuzzyfaces
04-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Gosh, I'm glad little Twinkle didn't get hurt bad. Please give him a bunny hug for me too.:)

Daisylover
04-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Well a pointer is a hunting dog so I'm not surprised she got overexcited and tried to get a closer inspection of the bunnies. THe problem is that dogs react so fast we usually can't stop them from doing what comes natural...even if she's seen the bunnies before it's risky to put them too close to each other.
The dog's reaction clearly scared all the bunnies and poor Twinkle got the brunt of it. It doesn't matter if the buns were neutered or not and get along most of the time or not...when rabbits are scared they'll strike out at the closet thing to them and in this case it was Twinkle. I know we all want our animal friends will be friends among themselves but with a hunting dog I don't think that is very realistic. Yes, I know, there are many dogs who get along great with bunnies...they'll sleep with them and wash them, but that is really an exception and not the rule. I don't think I'd try this in the future for the sake (and nerves) of the bunnies.

Heather Wallace
04-09-2002, 03:51 PM
I know Daisy, I won't be don't that again in a hurry, the buns much prefer Tatty and Max the cats. More there own size. Twinkle is ok now, he's milking his sore face.

The dog has gone home now thank goodness and the other two cats go on Thursday.:)

Daisylover
04-09-2002, 04:27 PM
I know....aren't these kinds of lessons painful?
But at least when things like this happen we don't let them happen again. And you are such a good bunny mom. Twinkle will be as good as new in a few days and you can put the whole thing behind you! :)