PDA

View Full Version : Ppl who get rid of pets!

sasvermont
04-05-2002, 01:16 PM
I just got back from a trip to the local humane society. How can people give up their pets. I know that sometimes folks just can't keep them, but the messages on the tags that I read, didn't sound as though anyone gave a hoot. One cat was found at the scene of a car accident. A declawed housecat! Go figure! Lots of stray pets and they also had lots of rabbits!

Anyway, I am planning to do vol. work for them if they need me.

I bet I end up adopting a pet from there someday.

04-06-2002, 10:13 AM
some people take a kitty or baby-dog only "because they are so cute " . By the time they grow up , they get tired of it and throw them out as if it were pieces of trash :mad: :mad: :mad:
Sometimes they realise that their cat can not join them on their vacations and becomes a "burden" to them .... . They then just tie the animal to a tree and rush of ...
Disgusting !!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED TO HAVE PETS !!!! makes me so mad ...

mylunalove
04-14-2002, 07:38 PM
I used to work at an animal shelter. I was often appalled at the reasons people would give when abandoning there no longer loved fury family members. Moving was the top reason followed by allergies. My family is mobile, we moved every 3-4 years, and I never left my furry babies behind nor did it even cross my mind to do such a awful thing. Sometimes was hard finding a place to rent that would allow pets, but I made a commitment to them, and well I couldn't abandon them! ! So needless to say when I was given the relocation sob story, and pleaded with to find space in the over crowded shelter for their pet I was not always polite. More then once I felt the inner urge to throttle a few people!! I loved my job, it was rewarding but at the same time see how others displayed little to no respect for animals took it's toll on my compassion for people!:confused: :mad: :(

sooty&splodge
04-15-2002, 05:10 PM
It's true that a lot of people take on pets without thinking through the responsibility that keeping them entails, but it's also true that sometimes people are put in situations where it is difficult for them to keep the pet: eg a bereavement, a divorce, illness or simply being unable to cope with a child's severe allergy or an incontinent pet.

Of course it is upsetting but I think if people feel they will be judged if they leave their pet at a shelter they may be more inclined to keep it but neglect it or even worse simply dump it.

I adore my two cats but I remember last year, following a major problem in our home/family life, a lot of otherwise very caring people advised me to give Sooty and Splodge away as they were "just something else to worry about". :(

I have to say though that I am very glad I ignored those well-meaning but misguided people and kept my two babies!

But just remember, often people who have to give their pets away do so only because they see no alternative.

yorkster
04-21-2002, 09:32 PM
I live just a matter of blocks from a animal rescue shelter called PAWS (Progressive Animal Welfare, I think) :)
Got my dog there and one of my cats. I also go there to 'look around' at the animals. I don't mind it like going to the pound, because it is a no-kill shelter.

One time I was in there looking at the cats, and came across a BEAUTIFUL orange tabby, long hair, green eyes. He was 12 years old, and the reason he was left at the shelter was that his former owners said "he is too old." :mad: :mad: :mad:

My lord, how can you have a pet for 12 years, and dump them because they are too old???????? :(
What kind of people are they?

moosmom
05-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Those kinds of people that dump a "senior" cat at shelters because of their age are heartless bas*#@$!. I have a 13 year old declawed Maine Coon that I rescued from a kill shelter. She was scheduled to die the day before I picked her up. It's taken a while (a month so far) for her to relax and know that she's okay. But if I knew a curses, I'd definitely put one on the family that dumped her there. I hope their children do the same thing to them when THEY get old. :mad: :mad: :mad:

yorkster
05-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Oh bless you Moosmom for rescuing that cat. I have a M. Coon, and he is the most loving, affectionate cat- they are real 'people' cats :)
How could anyone discard one? :mad:
Do you have pics of her?

yorkster
05-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Murphy is very sweet looking :)

sirocco
05-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by yorkster
He was 12 years old, and the reason he was left at the shelter was that his former owners said "he is too old." :mad: :mad: :mad:

My lord, how can you have a pet for 12 years, and dump them because they are too old???????? :(
What kind of people are they?

Just revolting :mad: :mad: :mad:

Another situation that appalles me is that when a couple splits up they abandon their/his/her :confused: pet. It's incredible!!! What goes on there??? My own Neelix was left behind here in Spain when a co-worker went back to Germany (he was born there) He had a girlfriend here (also German) and when they split up, she went back to Germany w/o taking care of the cat - I was told that they rescued little Neelix together, when he was just a motherless tiny kitten wandering around the streets. Now this co-worker was still keeping Neelix, and later on found another girl-friend and a new job back in Germany. Seems that there was no room for Neelix or that he brought painful memories from the former relation... Well I just can't understand this part, but it's lucky for both the cat and me we found each other - Neelix is a love-bug and trusts people a lot, so I wouldn't trust his survivor skills in the city streets, and me, well, it makes happy to provide him with affection and fun.

I wish every abandoned pet had a happy end to their stories.

Nita

sasvermont
05-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Some cats live to be 18 years old and older. So a cat 5 or 10 still has lots of mileage left!

Tomorrow night when I do that volunteer thing, I hope to see all new cats there...and the one old guy, Murphy, adopted. Murphy is just so sweet and beautiful. Oh well. They take such good care of the animals there...... At least there are some comforts rather than being on the damn street!

P. S. My current two cats were kittens when I got them. I wish I had gone to the shelter before hand. Oh well. I love my current kittens SO MUCH!....I don't regret having made the earlier decision.

yorkster
05-13-2002, 04:51 PM
Sirroco, If my hubby and I split up :eek: , there would be a custody-battle over who got to keep the kitties! I can't imagine not keeping a pet just because your 'human' relationship did not work out :(

Sia1
05-13-2002, 07:00 PM
Well I might have mentioned this story before, but we got Callie after someone had thrown her out of a truck on a backroad. :mad: My boyfriend was following behind him and couldn't discern what he saw...he pulled over and found a little 5 wk. old kitten and took her home..We took her to the vet and she was in reasonably good health but I can never understand how anyone can just dump their animal. I thank God everyday that we were able to find and rescue her..I couldn't imagine my life without my little furbabies!!:p

moosmom
05-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Lokie went to the vet on Saturday. It was confirmed that she IS around 13 maybe even older but in good health. She needs to put on a little weight as she only weighs 7.5 pounds. She is scheduled to have teeth cleaned as she has a bad tartar build up and her gums are red, which would account for her not touching dry food. I've been feeding her Max Nutro Kitten canned food to pack on the pounds. She is a real lovebug now. It took almost a month for her to come around. Every once in a while she'll get an attitude with me and growl and swat at me. But I just pet her and she quiets down. She still growls at some of my cats (I have 6 not including her) so I have a feeling she might have been an only cat. She'll get used to them.

MooShoo on the other hand, my Sphynx, is going in for an attitude adjustment in June to see if we can tone down his aggression towards Lokie.

Here's what Lokie looks like.

moosmom
05-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Here's what MooShoo looks like. I named him that because he looks like a little moo cow.

AmberLee
05-13-2002, 07:37 PM
I WONDERed if that was what inspired MooShoo's name! He and Loki are adorable. Welcome to Pet Talk. Hope you enjoy it here.

moosmom
05-14-2002, 12:30 PM
Thanks AmberLee. I love it here!

I_love_cats
06-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Lately there's been a lot of cats at my shelter, they was on cat, overweight, some give him up because she had baby. There are tons of lost pet and no one has clime them. I do volunteer work at my shelter two times a week and I see lots of older cats that need loving homes. If I had lots of money, I will adopt all of them but that's not going to happen.

moosmom
06-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Every once in a while I go to the Humane Society. Although it depresses me because there are so many beautiful "older" furbabies there that are just looking for someone to love them. I read the paperwork to see what ppls excuse is for dumping their pets. So far it's been "Can't take care of", "Moving, can't take", "Moving, won't allow pets". I'm looking to move to Michigan and I can say without a doubt that wherever my cats go, I go!

I just wish people would realize that owning a pet is a lifetime commitment.

Donna

lizbud
06-14-2002, 08:43 PM
After college graduation, my daughter came back to
live with me for a few months till she got a job & was
able to save up a little for her own place.During that
time she adopted a puppy from the Indy Humane Society.
He is a Dobie/Shep mix and a real sweetheart. I got so
attached to this little pooch that when my daughter left
for her own place(with Obie), I was lost.:( She & I later
went back to the Humane Society were I searched for
a "replacement" for this little dog that I had come to love.
Well, after a lot of searching, I found a group of three
pups that had just been put into the "adoptable" area.
That's where I found my Buddy. While looking around I
do remember seeing one fully grown GSD in a cage with
a sign on it that said "Got To Big ". I couldn't believe that
someone could give that as an excuse for giving it up. The
dog looked to be a purebreed. I still think of him/her every
once in awhile. I pray the dog found a loving family .

KittenCloudSprinkles
06-16-2002, 01:09 PM
When I was about 4 I had moved here. I had my orange kitty with me! The best! I was still little but I pushed him down the slide and kept doing that and then he finally did it himself lol. But then he went out one night and never came back. About 3-4 weeks after spring break (this year) my girl scout troop went to the humane society. It was so sad. Seeing a little glimmer of hope inside of them as we walked by and looked at them. After we had done that as we were driving home I relized something. My orange tabby could have gone to a humane society. And a KILL humane society. I was really upset and worried what if no one liked him? What if the humane society 'put him to sleep'? I just hate all those people who dump those poor pets there!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: And I hope those glimmers of hope in all those pets' eyes, will be seen by a kind person. And they WILL get adopted. Because, we can only hope and help for the good of the animals!

sasvermont
06-16-2002, 03:45 PM
KCS,

After having done a couple of months of vol. work at the local shelter here, I suddenly realize that the cats there are safe, being fed, being played with, being taken care of medically including altering or spaying. And you know what, not all shelters destroy their unwanted/unadopted pets. Some animals do get put to sleep for medical reasons, but even the places that do "kill" the unwanted, also take the care to do it humanely. I can't think of any better way to go than to go to sleep. The alternative for some of these animals is gruesome at best. Anyway, I just want you to know that it is much better to take an animal to a shelter than to dump it on the street. Of course, everyone has their opinions about this, and they are entitled of course. I just know that if no one wanted me around, I wish they would give me another chance - and then...well, sleep isn't so bad. We created the problem for the pets. We, humans that is. So chin up, many animals make it out of those shelters and they all make it out of the shelter where I work. All, except the medically sick and incurable. There should be a standard to shelters, but there is not. There is usually not enough funding to keep each and every unwanted/stray pet alive forever. So we either need to pay more to the shelters or find ways to make sure everyone neuters their pets. I can't think of any comforting words for you except not all shelters kill.

:confused:

KittenCloudSprinkles
06-16-2002, 03:53 PM
I know not all humane societies 'let the pets sleep' (I think that sounds better) but it really makes me mad that we have so few. *sigh* You know Sas, You're right.tomato Really your are. The cats ARE safe there...as well as dogs, mice, and....gerbils and hamsters? lol anyway you do have a point. But it made me so MAD. How could people just leave them to die on the streets? For those pets that get picked up, I'm glad. For the ones that don't...God bless you little pets! My hope is with them!crimson

AvaJoy
06-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
How can people give up their pets. I know that sometimes folks just can't keep them, but . . .

. . . yes, people do get especially nervous when a baby is born into the household where a cranky cat already rules . . . hopefully there are more folks like you and me willing to give them a new lease on life.

I_love_cats
09-19-2002, 08:53 AM
I am a volunteer at my shelter and I see lots of people give there cats up for stupid reason. There was one cat name Smokey and he was giving up because she was going to have a baby which I think she should of thought about getting a cat in the first place. Then there was another cat that was giving up because the cat played all night and then there are tons of stray at my shelter.

Desert Arabian
10-14-2002, 04:34 PM
The word "get rid of" sends a chill down my spine, that lasts about 5 minutes. I think that word is the sickest on the planet!!! :mad: