PDA

View Full Version : Food suggestions?

slleipnir
12-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Ok...I'm thinking Zeke has a food allergy..I was pretty sure it was chicken, but now I don't know. He is always licking the fronts of his paws. I've tried numerous foods such as Walthams (vet food), Nutro, and now Maxim (lamb and rice or fish)

He gets "the runs" when he goes running at my cottage..I assume this is from the food too. From what I gather, the foods I've been feeding is good quality food, so it should be sticking with him? Unless he is allergic? Anyway, I want a food that he is good on...any suggestions?

Also, Josie has started to eat poo...I assume this is from something lacking in her diet? What do I need to add to stop this? (it's only Zeke's she likes...so poor Zeke has to wait for her to do her business before he can go out...)

Husky_mom
12-22-2005, 12:50 PM
maybe is something all those brands have in common, or maybe just something he eats while he´s out running, or maybe the changing of food brands, i´s say stick to one for a few weeks or months and if no change get him checked for a more accurate diagnosis

lv4dogs
12-22-2005, 01:16 PM
I agree with huskymom, it could of been something else that he eats while he's at the cottage, or maybe its the water (or from puddles or ponds too).

He could have an allergy that is in all of those brands.

I'd say try a diet made for allergies (lamb & rice, or the IVD brands like duck or venison) and keep him on it for 2 months. Some allergies, especially food allergies take up to 2 months to clear up.

Just because a food is good quality doesn't mean that your dog will do good on it. Each dogs system is different.

Eating poop may not be due to a lack of something in their diet. She may do it for many reason, she may like the taste, she may have motherly instincts and wants to keep the place clean, or keep predators away.
The best bet it to teach her a leave it command & to pick up the poop after they go.
They do make things that you add to the dogs diet that makes the feces taste bad (one brand name is forbid) but with that you have to make sure the dog eats the feces that contain the product. Once you stop adding it to their diet the dog may start to eat the feces again. And some dogs like the taste of it, just like some dogs like the taste of bitter apple.
Or you can pour hot sauce or something on the poop after they go in hopes that that will deter them but I think it's be better to just clean it up. Leave a pooper scooper by the door with a small garbage pail just for poop so it's not much of a hassle.

slleipnir
12-22-2005, 01:50 PM
These foods I have had him on for more than a few months..each time he keeps doing it, only now he is limping and keeps licking.

As for the poop, it is something she just started to do...she has done it before, then stopped, and now she does it again. I do pick it up, but it's harder to do when you gotta get ready for work/it's freezing outside/icey snow covering poo

lv4dogs
12-22-2005, 02:05 PM
These foods I have had him on for more than a few months..each time he keeps doing it, only now he is limping and keeps licking.

As for the poop, it is something she just started to do...she has done it before, then stopped, and now she does it again. I do pick it up, but it's harder to do when you gotta get ready for work/it's freezing outside/icey snow covering poo

Then I'd try a different kind of food. And maybe a trip to the vets?

The poop thing, they can stop eating it then start back up for no known reason. I know what you mean about picking up poop in the winter, I hate it. At least it hardens right up & is easier. lol :p

.sarah
12-22-2005, 02:09 PM
The only allergy food I've had luck with is Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish. For one, it works. And Mandy and Nova are both picky eaters and haven't turned down their food once since they've been on it, unless if they were sick.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-22-2005, 04:44 PM
The only allergy food I've had luck with is Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish. For one, it works. And Mandy and Nova are both picky eaters and haven't turned down their food once since they've been on it, unless if they were sick.

That's the same food I have Bitsy on for her allergies.

When a dog is licking his paws it's more likely to be an inhalant allergy than a food allergy. The diarrhea could be something at the cottage rather than his food. To my knowledge diarrhea isn't a symptom of allergies.

AllAmericanPUP
12-22-2005, 04:52 PM
i'd take him to the vet and have an allergy test done.

Karen
12-22-2005, 05:30 PM
That's the same food I have Bitsy on for her allergies.

When a dog is licking his paws it's more likely to be an inhalant allergy than a food allergy. The diarrhea could be something at the cottage rather than his food. To my knowledge diarrhea isn't a symptom of allergies.

Yes, diarrhea can be a symptom of allergies, trust me, I know this well from a human viewpoint.

LuvGold00
12-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Wellness has some really good Allergy foods, I've heard good things about them. Here's a link:
http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/simple_food_overview.html

I would also think about doing an allergy panel at the vet, I did one on one of my girls, they are kinda expensive ($150-$250) but so worth it!