PDA

View Full Version : Luna to the vet again! :(

Kirsten
12-22-2005, 07:21 AM
I already posted about her latest bladder infection here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=95308), and she's still on antibiotics, so I was devastated to see today that her bladder infection came back.

She went back to the vet this morning for another shot, and right now, she's doing better, but how long will it last this time?

My vet mentioned the possibility of new struvite crystals, so I have to get a urine sample from her (but it's bad timing because of the holidays), and when it's positive, she'll need meds and a special diet for the rest of her life.

My poor poor girl! :( She's been through such a lot with her bladder infections!

A friend has suggested to try to improve her immune system; she's using K1-vitamines and propolis for her dog. Does anyone know if this would work for cats as well?

Kirsten

slick
12-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry that little Luna is having trouble again. I don't know anything about vitamins but I just wanted to chime in and offer up my support.

Right after I first got Max 8 years ago, he was so stressed that he got a bad case of crystals. My then vet told me to give him Hill's C/D for 6 weeks, then Hill's S/D for 6 months, then Preventative for the rest of his life. That worked well until Speckles needed a low protein diet then he got the same as she did.

Since then he will strain to pee every now and then, and as soon as this happens, he's right back on C/D. Now, with Speckles gone, he will remain on C/D for awhile then I'll move him back to Preventative.

Good luck Kirsten and please give those precious babies a kiss from me.
xoxoxo

AlleyCat
12-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I think a change in diet could be something you could try, if you haven't already. I was skeptical that food really could make a difference, but with Onyx's ever-so-frequent bladder infections this year I finally thought I'd give it a shot. We added more litterboxes in more available places for her at the same time, so it's hard to know for sure whether that or the change in food was what made the difference, but there has been a huge, huge improvement in Onyx so I'm hopeful the food might be part of it. At any rate, I'm sorry to hear Luna is sick again, that's hard, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that things get better soon !!!

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear that Luna has another UTI. :( I also think that you should change her diet and this will hopefully help her. I'm sure that it would also be safe for Lily to eat the same food too. Good luck and please keep us updated. :)

Kirsten
12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Thank you, Slick, I gave Luna the kissie from you! :)

Right now, she's on Hill's c/d, and she likes it (Lily likes it, too). But boy, feeding both my girls Hill's only is probably more than my financials will allow. Hill's is VERY expensive here in Germany. Please don't think I'm a bad catmom, I will do everything possible to make my girl feeling better.

Kirsten

kimlovescats
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear that poor Luna is still struggling with bladder infections. I hope you and your vet will be able to find the right combination of foods, meds, and vitamins to help her.

(hugs)
Kim

AlleyCat
12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
We don't think you're a bad catmom! If that food is that expensive in Germany, is there something else you can try? Like I said in my previous post I really was skeptical of whether a diet change could make a difference, but something really is working so perhaps it does. There are cat foods here in the U.S. that are good for urinary tract issues that are not vet-prescription, so the cost is very reasonable for Onyx. Millie is on a vet prescription diet food for her weight issues and boy it that one expensive! So I do see the cost difference.

Kirsten
12-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Well, if it really turns out that Luna has struvite crystals again, I will discuss her treatment with my vet and I'm sure she will help me to find a good - and hopefully affordable - solution. But the way things are looking right now, I'm pretty sure my poor girl has crystals again. :(

Kirsten

catnapper
12-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Oh Kirsten, how scary for you! I know what ytou're going through because I am going through the same thing with Pouncer right now. The diet isn't that much more, and considering all the expenses you incurr with her chronic bladder infections, this might actually end up saving you money if it means she will have fewer infections. Follow that logic?