PDA

View Full Version : My parents' dog Rocky will soon be at the Bridge

Kirsten
12-22-2005, 07:06 AM
I know, usually I'm not posting in the dog forum (my "PT home" is the cat forum), but now I would like to tell you about Rocky, a beautiful rottie who lives with my mother and her fiancé Reinhold.

He's eleven years old and today, Reinhold took him to the vet because he was declining, stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. The result was devastating: His spleen is very enlarged (fills his entire abdomen), and he wouldn't survive a surgery. So all they can do now is wait if he makes it alone to the bridge, or if he needs our help to pass over.

This is going to be a sad Christmas for us. I know Rocky for 5 years know (since my mother and Reinhold became a couple), and he has been a part of our family ever since. He's very affectionate and sweet, and he loves his family.

This was Rocky earlier this year:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/rocky.jpg

May I ask for some prayers for him?

Kirsten

senorita02
12-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Oh i am so sorry, he is one magnificant looking Rottie, i am saddened to hear this boy is heading to the bridge,, i will definitly be sending prayers his way. :(

lv4dogs
12-22-2005, 07:17 AM
I am so sorry. {{hugs}} It's never an easy thing to do, in fact far from it. :( He sure is loved & I am sure he knows that.
He's a very handsome boy.

We'll be keeping him in our prayers, hoping for a peaceful journey to the bridge.

Kirsten
12-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Thank you very much, it's very appreciated.

I was told that if a Rottie has reached a certain age, it would all go very fast. Is that true? :(

Kirsten

lv4dogs
12-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Thank you very much, it's very appreciated.

I was told that if a Rottie has reached a certain age, it would all go very fast. Is that true? :(

Kirsten
I didn't want to mention anything but between working at the vets, volunteering at shelters & having a lot of family & friends with Rotts, I and a lot of the vets & techs &, trainers etc... I have worked with have noticed that about 80-90% of Rotts take their journey to the bridge when they are 11 years old. :( Most dogs life span varies by a few years but almost all Rotts pass at age 11, there's not a lot of variation for their life span. :(

senorita02
12-22-2005, 07:46 AM
:( :(

I noticed your Moms Rottie does not have any gray on his chin chin, he is 10 in that pic right?? My Rottie boy is 6 and has had gray chin hair since he was about 5, i wonder why, is Raustyk gray in the chin too? How old is she 7?

pitc9
12-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Ohhh... he sure is a Stunning gentlemen!!!
My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family during this sad time.
I pray Rocky's journey is one of peace and comfort.

lv4dogs
12-22-2005, 07:54 AM
:( :(

I noticed your Moms Rottie does not have any gray on his chin chin, he is 10 in that pic right?? My Rottie boy is 6 and has had gray chin hair since he was about 5, i wonder why, is Raustyk gray in the chin too? How old is she 7?

Yup, she'll be 8 in Jan and she's had grey since she was about 5ish.

anna_66
12-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Kristen I'm so very sorry to hear this. Please let them know that they will all be in my prayers, expecially their beautiful Rocky. He's a gorgeous boy.
Rotties are such special dogs and I'm sure they'll be lost without him.

My Angus lived to be almost 13 (he died the month before his 13th bday) and only about 3 months prior to that did he really start to decline. He lived a good long life.

Daisy and Delilah
12-22-2005, 08:51 AM
What a gorgeous boy he is. We'll keep him, you, and your family in our thoughts and prayers :(

Roxyluvsme13
12-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm so sorry :(. Poor Rocky. Sending lots of thoughts and prayers.:(:(

Kirsten
12-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Thank you everyone!

I didn't want to mention anything but between working at the vets, volunteering at shelters & having a lot of family & friends with Rotts, I and a lot of the vets & techs &, trainers etc... I have worked with have noticed that about 80-90% of Rotts take their journey to the bridge when they are 11 years old. Most dogs life span varies by a few years but almost all Rotts pass at age 11, there's not a lot of variation for their life span.

Thanks for this explanation, lv4dogs. I didn't know this, but it's true, all the rotties I knew so far were about that age, some even younger.

senorita02, yes, he was 10 and a half when that picture was taken, and still he has no grey hairs. In fact, his face is still looking very young. He had a good life up there in the forests (this (http://www.tillyschanze.de/index2.html) is his home).

It's so hard to believe that he will no longer be with us. :(

Kirsten

senorita02
12-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Wow that is really beautiful, is that where he lives for real? No wonder he still has his youthful looks, looks like he has had a nice life that boy. :D

Vela
12-22-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. He looks like he lived a wonderful life so that is a great blessing. My thoughts are with you and your family.

poofy
12-22-2005, 10:15 AM
So sorry to hear that, a sad birthday for sure..glad he had a wonderful life..hes still young looking..may he pass in peace

Corinna
12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey Kirsten welcome to the dog side .I 'm sorry it's for this reason. People here pray just as hard for the pups as do the cat folks I am all over the board having so many critters. Know that mMontana is sending prays across the ocean.

k9krazee
12-22-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm so sorry ((((Hugs))))) He is a very very handsome boy, our thoughts will be with you all.

Jadapit
12-22-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm so, so sorry! He is a beautiful dog. My thoughts will be with your and you family. (((Hugs)))

finn's mom
12-22-2005, 11:03 AM
What a beautiful dog, I'm so sorry to hear that he'll be leaving your family soon. :(

pnance
12-22-2005, 11:08 AM
He's a beautiful boy. Our thoughts are with you and your family. {Hugs}

Ginger's Mom
12-22-2005, 11:16 AM
He is just gorgeous. Thoughts and prayers going out for you and your family. He is obviously very well loved. {{{Hugs}}}.

luvofallhorses
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
He's gorgeous. Prayers on the way for him and his family.
((((hugs))))

caseysmom
12-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear about Rocky Kirsten, he will be in my prayers.

Kirsten
12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Thank you for your prayers everyone!

senorita02, yes, this is where my parents live. They have a restaurant in the forest here in my hometown, and it's very beautiful up there.

So far, Rocky doesn't seem to be suffering, he's acting normal, apart from that he's not eating anymore (at least not his dry food, only canned food; the vet said this is because of the stronger smell of the wet food). My mother says that if he's beginning to suffer and to be in pain, he will be helped to the bridge. :(

BTW, I wonder what it is that caused the enlarged spleen? The vet mentioned that a surgery would only speed up the deadly process, so I figure it might be a tumor?

Kirsten

Kfamr
12-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Kirsten, I'm sure you remember me falling in love with Rocky over on the cat side. He is gorgeous and i'm so sorry that his health is declining. He seems to have touched so many hearts, including mine.

http://www.tillyschanze.de/photo51.jpg Is that Rocky in that photo? What a gorgeous picture.

I'll be thinking of your family and that sweet boy of their's... hugs to you all, and if you get the chance to, please give Rocky a great big hug from me.

Kirsten
12-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Thank you! :)

http://www.tillyschanze.de/photo51.jpg Is that Rocky in that photo? What a gorgeous picture.

Yes, that's him. I took that photo when I took Rocky out for a walk last fall.

BTW, I searched for the bigger version of the photo I've posted above (as I wanted to frame it for my parents), but I cannot find it anymore. Obviously I've accidently deleted it. :( :( :(

Kirsten

Alysser
12-22-2005, 07:31 PM
I am so sorry! He is a very handsome boy! VERY HANDSOME! I hope he lives! Is there anyway he can? Prayers and good thoughts on the way.

dukedogsmom
12-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Rocky sure is a handsome one. I hate it when things like this happen but near the holidays makes it even worse. I pray Rocky doesn't suffer and can go naturally to the bridge. They give us such great love. This is the sadness of being so blessed.

Karen
12-22-2005, 09:02 PM
We will all hold your family and the handsome Rocky in our prayers. He's a sweetie, that's for sure.

And he WILL still be with you, just in spirit, not in phyical presence any more.

shais_mom
12-22-2005, 11:43 PM
what a beautiful boy.
Will keep him in my prayers and you and your mom and Reinhold also

tomkatzid
12-23-2005, 12:43 AM
What a great big beautiful boy he is.....we are praying for you and all the people who love you Rocky......tom and katz

K9karen
12-23-2005, 12:49 AM
I am so sad to read about Rocky. We all know how hard and painful it is to lose a beloved pet who has captured our hearts.
I guess it's a blessing that. like Rocky, my Cody became ill very suddenly. He actually "told" me it was "time to go" and he was gently and lovingly helped to Rainbow Bridge. I think it's our duty as responsible pet owners, to alleviate their suffering when they are no longer able to enjoy the wonderful lives they had. Rocky was lucky to have such a beautiful place to live. I pray he isn't suffering and passes peacefully. My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Kirsten
12-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Thank you everyone for your prayers!

I think it's our duty as responsible pet owners, to alleviate their suffering when they are no longer able to enjoy the wonderful lives they had.

Exactly!

So far, Rocky still seems to enjoy his life. He's still loving and friendly, and he's happy when you take him out for a walk. I saw him today, and actually he doesn't look very sick, but when you pet him, you can feel he has lost a lot of weight.

I hope he can stay with us for a little while, but I'm sure he will let us know when he reached the end of the road...

Kirsten

*LabLoverKEB*
12-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Oh Kristen, I am so so very sorry to hear abour Rocky man. :( :( This is so very sad to read. He lived a good long life, though, and he was very well loved. I am so sorry. Rocky and your parents will be in my prayers over the Christnmas season.

tatsxxx11
12-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Oh...Such a beautiful boy. I'm so sorry to hear this Kirsten:( I hope and pray your family's beloved Rocky will be able to enjoy one final Christmas together:( No matter their age, how long, how happy their life, it's just never long enough:( How very loved you are, dear, handsome, precious Rocky. Big hug to you.

I'm so very sorry, Kirsten:(
Love, Sandra

sabies
12-23-2005, 04:42 PM
So sorry to hear. It sounds like Rocky has had a great life with a loving family and a beautiful home. I hope he has many enjoyable days left.

Sandra you're right - it's never long enough.