PDA

View Full Version : Teens: would you like this ring?

catnapper
12-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Ok, I am a moron when it comes to what a teen would like! My daughter turns 16 the first week of January, and I'd like to get her a nice ring. I came across this ring/pendant set and though I love it, will she? soooooo..... I need to know if this is something a teen would wear? I want it to also be something she'll wear once she's older too.... not something to wear this year and then toss in a jewelry box to never be worn again once she's "mature"

http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/loadimage.aspx?btype=.jpg&cgid=1893689&w=400&h=300&ppid=

Its London Blue Topaz in 10k yellow gold with diamond accents. I worry because I DID already buy her TWO London Blue Topaz silver rings from the free silver jewelry site long before I even thought of getting her a ring for her birthday. Of course the ring I like for her is only available in London Blue topaz :o

I did try to find Garnet for her... but NOTHING looked like "her" -- Its too dark for her. She's very light skinned and tomboyish - the light blues are just "her"

Here's a few pictures of her
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/bluecastboy.jpg

She is in the white shirt in this one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/Girls.jpg

As you can see, she's a very low key, not at all fussy girl... in fact she hardly ever wears jewelry now, but she says its because she doesn't HAVE any she would want to wear -- its all cheapo imitation stuff.

Sooooo.... should I order it, despite already ordering silver topazes for Christmas? Or NOT give her the silver rings I bought, and save them for someone else? Find another colored stone? ACK!

slleipnir
12-21-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't know about her, but I know I would like it...I don't really know her style or anything...I'm not big on jewlery myself, but I would wear it. It's very pretty!

buckner
12-21-2005, 10:34 PM
If/when she does wear jewelry, does she wear silver or gold?

For me, I think it's VERY pretty and I love it, but I wouldn't wear it. Why? Because I'm a silver person. I think silver looks better on me, I think it looks prettier on me, etc etc. I'm allergic to most anything in my ears, but on a rare occasion, I can wear silver that's lead and nickel free. So I try to match that to my other jewelry. But I've always liked silver more than gold.

So, if she's a gold person, yes, definitely get it! But if she's not, she'll think it's pretty but it'll just be a dust collector, and that's it.

I think it would look pretty on her, she has a nice skin tone that would go good with gold. But.... find out if she prefers one metal over the other, and which it is if she does.

BTW - nice choice of rings! You have good taste! :)

CagneyDog
12-21-2005, 10:34 PM
I love it! I would wear it.

CathyBogart
12-21-2005, 10:41 PM
I lvoe it, I think it's beautiful...but I'm another person who doesn't wear yellow gold...I'm SUPER pale and it makes me look even more pale! >.<

catnapper
12-21-2005, 10:43 PM
So, if she's a gold person, yes, definitely get it! But if she's not, she'll think it's pretty but it'll just be a dust collector, and that's it.

She CLAIMS to like silver more than gold, but when going through my jewelry box and telling me which pieces she loves... they are all my yellow gold rings, and NONE of my white gold. In fact one of my yellow gold rings has been found in her jewelry box a few times in the past :rolleyes:

I wasn't even thinking about white gold vs. yellow gold! oh jeepers,... the plot thickens!

I know EXACTLY the ring we're getting my oldest daughter for her 18th birhday in March -- that one was easy, I even showed ti to her under the guise of picking it out for her sister's birthday and her eyes bugged out and she said "I want that one!!!" I knew she would! LOL
Here's the ring for her sister, in March's birthstone
http://zales.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pZALE1-2299907t240.jpg

manda_moo87
12-21-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm sure she'd love it, it's beautiful.

My Mom gave me a beautiful emerald (my birthstone) ring for my 13th birthday and I treasure it. Can't wear it at the moment though... need to get it sized. :p

BitsyNaceyDog
12-21-2005, 11:15 PM
I love it! I'm no longer a teenager, I'm 23, but I had to chime in. I'm not one to wear yellow gold either, but I do think the ring is stunning. Did you ask your other daughter if she thinks her sister would like it?

Nomilynn
12-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the second ring. I would wear the first one if it was white gold. I'm 25 :p

ramanth
12-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Personally, I am not a fan of yellow gold, but I do love the setting and style!! It's a gorgeous set! :) Now the second ring, it takes my breath away! :D

chrissycat21
12-22-2005, 08:59 AM
That ring is very pretty!

lv4dogs
12-22-2005, 09:02 AM
I like the second ring better, ONLY because I love silver & can't stand gold. BUT I like the layout of the first ring better (the stones & the way they are set). :p

I'm a little bit on the tomboyish side too, low key & low mantience & I would wear either one.

Garnet is my birthstone too & let me tell you what, I have the hardest time finding anything that I like that is silver or white gold with a garnet in it. I hate that. I'd love to get a nice silver/white gold garnet ring.

ramanth
12-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Garnet is my birthstone too & let me tell you what, I have the hardest time finding anything that I like that is silver or white gold with a garnet in it. I hate that. I'd love to get a nice silver/white gold garnet ring.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but some jewelery stores will let you buy loose stones and you can pick the settings for them. Kinda like a create your own ring type thing.

My parents went to a gem auction and bought quite a few loose gems and then mom later had them set. Wasn't too expensive either, if I recall correctly. :)

Most wedding band wraps only have diamonds in them, but I want some sapphires in the setting too, so the jeweler can take diamonds out and put sapphires in their place. Most places can taylor their jewlery to your needs. :)

lv4dogs
12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure what your budget is, but some jewelery stores will let you buy loose stones and you can pick the settings for them. Kinda like a create your own ring type thing.

My parents went to a gem auction and bought quite a few loose gems and then mom later had them set. Wasn't too expensive either, if I recall correctly. :)

Most wedding band wraps only have diamonds in them, but I want some sapphires in the setting too, so the jeweler can take diamonds out and put sapphires in their place. Most places can taylor their jewlery to your needs. :)

My budget is pretty tight at the moment. Thanky ou but I already knew that. I'm waiting for the day for me to have some extra money for that as I have a few raw garnet stones that I dug up in New Mexico & Arizona that I want set into a nice ring sometime. They aren't as pretty as the finished & polished stones but their natural beauty overpowers that.

Roxyluvsme13
12-22-2005, 10:00 AM
I think it's REALLY pretty! I would wear it.

kimboe
12-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I think the ring is pretty, but i think most teens like rings that are simple...meaning there is not a bunch of little diamonds all together. I've noticed that the trend for jewelery is very simple and basic. No more than 3 or 4 stones on most pieces.
Even i like the simple jewelery.
But, that's just an opinion....Don't go by what i say, ask your daughter more questions with out her noticing! :p
Good luck :D

Suki Wingy
12-22-2005, 10:51 AM
I think it would look REALLY pretty on her but I wouldn't know if she would like it because I don't know anything about jewlery as I don't really like wearing any.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-22-2005, 11:03 AM
This is the best possible test: I showed this pic to my own 16 year old Indra.
Know what she said??

WOW !!! It is GORGEOUS!!!

He he, that answers your question pretty well, doesn't it!! :)

Anita Cholaine
12-22-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm 15, and I really love it! I don't wear gold or silver things usually, but I would use that one. I think the colour is perfect for a 16 years old girl...

Flatcoatluver
12-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I like the second ring the best!! but I love both of them!

Husky_mom
12-22-2005, 12:43 PM
where did you found them???!!! thay are soooo pretty, i´m not a teen anymore but i would´ve loved any of those

carole
12-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Kim I think she will love it, just my opinion, but it is really beautiful. :)

Daisy Jo's Mom
12-23-2005, 05:28 PM
i am 21 and i liked the second ring better.......i didn't like the first one.....white gold or silver is the in thing now....for me ( i am also not a real girly girl) i would like something like a band that i could wear on my thumb or my index finger.....from my mom......i would rather my boyfriend get me a ring for my ring finger......

just my opinion.........sorry if i am too late

no matter what you decide she is gonna like it because it is from her mom

Buddy Blaze Lover
12-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Well, let's see...I'm going to be 16 in a few months, and I'm a tom-boy for the most part...yeah, I like it a lot, and I would wear it!:D;)

Chica
12-23-2005, 07:30 PM
I LOVE IT. I THINK YOUR DAUGHTER WILL LOVE IT AND WEAR IT TO!!! ;)

christa
12-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Um . . . LOVE IT! Of course I love blue topaz! I have both white & yellow gold stuff and wear it together on occasion. :) I liked the aquamarine ring that you posted too . . . I've actually been looking for an aquamarine ring for myself in yellow gold (that's my birthstone too) and I just love that one!

Good luck deciding!

G.P.girl
12-23-2005, 08:59 PM
I think it's beautiful! personally, i like the second one better, but the firt one is great too. i'm 16, and i'm a little bit tomboyish

Toby's my baby
12-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I love both of them!! I think though, if she is more low key, and doesnt want to really look out of place, I would give her a silver ring. I love both rings, but IMO, gold looks a lot more, i dont know how to put it, but like "bling blingy" and stands out more than I like. The ring I wear 24/7 is silver, and I love it. I think she would like it anyway though. I know I would ;)

catnapper
12-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Well the second ring is off limits for my younger daughter -- thats the ring my older daughter is getting ;)

I decided against the ring.... but not for any reasons listed! :D The silver ones I ordered came in today, and OMG, I am bowled over with how beauriful they are!!! I will see how often she wears the silver rings before I decide to invest in gold jewelry for her.

I'll look into buying her something else. Any ideas?

Toby's my baby
12-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm glad the other rings are pretty! :D I'm not sure what you could give your daughter though. Maybe money, or a gift certificate to her favorite mall, not just one store, but to the whole mall, if you have that there. Think about stuff that she doesnt necisarily need, but that she would love. I hate getting things I NEED ;) :p