PDA

View Full Version : How many rawhide bones

JenBKR
12-21-2005, 09:34 AM
does your dog typically get in a week? Roscoe just loves his rawhides, so we usually give him 3-4 a week. How about you?

lv4dogs
12-21-2005, 09:41 AM
It depends, sometimes they go weeks without them (but have other chewies instead). Personally I don't like to give them any more often than one every 2-3 days. They get at least one RMB (raw meat bones) a day so that helps a lot with keeping the teeth clean & their chewing urges.

k9krazee
12-21-2005, 09:42 AM
None :o We haven't had much luck with rawhides, Micki fights over them, Shadow inhales them, Jack loses them, Mini won't touch them, and Kyra hides them...nope, it is a huge hassle when you bring rawhides into the picture...we'll stick to our Kongs, stuffies and nylabones ;)

JenBKR
12-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Roscoe doesn't care much for his kong. I've never given him a nylabone though, maybe I'll get him one for Christmas ;)

lvpets2002
12-21-2005, 01:05 PM
:confused: For some reason my dogs wont eat rawhides & just buries them.. However they do love the big pig ears.. :)

JenBKR
12-21-2005, 01:08 PM
:confused: For some reason my dogs wont eat rawhides & just buries them.. However they do love the big pig ears.. :)

Yeah, Roscoe does bury his rawhides around the house sometimes :rolleyes: I just LOVE sitting on the couch and getting stuck with a bone :p

lvpets2002
12-21-2005, 01:11 PM
:o Ouch Jen & how so funny..

pitc9
12-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Pig ears are my dogs top favorite treat, they get then about 4 times a week.
I buy big huge rawhide bones a few times a year and between the two of them they only eat one of them! One will chew on it while the other watches, then the second they turn their head the other sneaks in and snatches it! It's such a fun game and no one ever gets snippy, they just wait their turn! They still have one I gave them 2 years ago in their toy box that they dig out once in a while and all they do with it is walk around the house with it in their mouth and Sierra will burry it in the couch once in a while also. :rolleyes:

JenBKR
12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah it's lots of fun :rolleyes: Then he comes running up like "oh, that's where I put that" and gets all excited. I have found them in bed sometimes too, but usually I know if that's where he put it because there will be a big lump under the covers, and the covers are all messed up. Hmm, I wonder who was in here? :rolleyes:

Vela
12-21-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't give rawhide or pigs ears. Things like formaldehyde are used to remove the hair and they are large impaction and choking hazards, not to mention undigestible if they do ingest and can can breed bacteria in the gut since it can sometimes take a long time to pass or not pass at all if it's too large. I only give raw meaty bones or bully sticks.

Suki Wingy
12-21-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't know :confused: occasionally we buy lots and he takes them around the house and yard. They get so nasty and soggy and creamy and then harded and dry and he starts to play with them again the next day.

JenBKR
12-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't know :confused: occasionally we buy lots and he takes them around the house and yard. They get so nasty and soggy and creamy and then harded and dry and he starts to play with them again the next day.

We only gave Roscoe a rawhide outside once, he started digging a hole to China to bury it in. Now, only rawhides inside ;) The only treats I actually give him outside are frosty paws in the summer - I don't even give him food outside because he picks the bowl up with his mouth and flings the food everywhere and tries to bury the bowl :rolleyes: Goofy dog!

luvofallhorses
12-21-2005, 03:10 PM
They get them occasionally.

Daisy Jo's Mom
12-21-2005, 03:35 PM
i just gave daisy her first bone to chew on and she did nothing else but chew on that thing until it was gone...it was so cute....after she got that one chewed up which took a couple of days i gave her another one just because she is so adorable when she is so focused....she won't let anyone touch it or come close to it...

wolfie
12-21-2005, 07:21 PM
None.

But they get biscuits every day, and a bone every week or two.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-21-2005, 07:27 PM
My dogs get rawhides maybe once a month or once every two months, not often though. I prefer to give them raw bones a few times weekly.

Flatcoatluver
12-21-2005, 07:51 PM
every day before they go to sleep!