PDA

View Full Version : Old cat!

racing_gurl07
12-21-2005, 08:09 AM
I usually post in Pet General, about my bird, but i thought i would post in here about my cat, Kitty, she is 20 years old, and is somewhat blind and deaf, but is still running around. How long do cats usually live until? Everyone tells me to put her to sleep :( but she seems to be doing fine. The only thing that worries me is that, a couple of weeks ago mymom told me that she had two seizers, so i hope she can live another few years. here is a picture of her...

smokey the elder
12-21-2005, 08:53 AM
If she can eat, use her box and get along fine, there's no reason to have her put to sleep.

catmandu
12-21-2005, 08:57 AM
If your Kitty is not in pain there no reason to have her put down.
My smokey was Blind,Deaf and Toothless but he enjoyed life until he passed on at almost 23.
You would be amazed at how well Kitty adapts to the infirmities that Old Age has given her.I love OLD CATS! :) ;) ;) ;)

kimlovescats
12-21-2005, 10:44 AM
First of all, your kitty is BEAUTIFUL!!! Secondly, there is no reason whatsoever to have her put down!!! If she gets to the point where her body is too tired and ready to go, she will let you know. If she stops eating, or acts like she is in pain, then that will be a sign. Until then, enjoy every moment you have with her! You both have been BLESSED to have had so many years together!

Kim :)

racing_gurl07
12-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Ive been with her for 18 years, will be 19 in march, its going to be so hard to put her down. but when we do, if we do, i want to hold her when she goes to sleep. My aunt told me that when old cats want to pass awayon their own they want ot go outside so you wont find them, and kitty always wants to go outside now, but we dont let her.

Randy_K
12-21-2005, 11:37 PM
We had a cat who lived to five weeks short of her 21st birthday. She trusted us so that whenever she was ill she got closer to us for the comfort and safety rather than hiding. She let us know when it was time for her to go. After all those years with her it was hard to let her go.

catlady1945
12-22-2005, 05:35 AM
There's no reason to put her down unless she is suffering. Our old girl, Patty, lived almost 20 years. She was extremely lively, mentally and physically, although she had a thyroid condition. Your kitty is very pretty.

jenluckenbach
12-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Your kitty is lovely. Hopefully you will still have a good amount of time with her. And even young cats have siezures, so as long as she is not in pain, I would not consider putting her to sleep.