PDA

View Full Version : Dog that battled gator to save woman is cited

Roofus
04-04-2002, 08:07 PM
Thought I'd share an amazing article that reaffirms just how wonderful and loyal dogs really are. I feel trully blessed to be living with one of these wonderful beings! :D

Dog that battled gator to save woman is cited

April 4, 2002

REUTERS

MIAMI -- A Florida dog that fought an alligator to protect an elderly woman was honored for his loyalty Wednesday with a Dog Hero of the Year award.

Two-year-old Blue, an Australian blue heeler, saved Ruth Gay from the gator and survived numerous injuries, said the organizers of the annual Heinz Pet Products award, which was announced in Pittsburgh.

Gay, 85, was taking the dog for an evening walk along a canal behind her house in July when she slipped on wet grass and fell, breaking her nose and dislocating a shoulder. Blue lay at her side while she called for help.

Suddenly the dog growled and ran off into the darkness -- sensing an alligator that had climbed out of the canal about 50 feet away, apparently attracted by Gay's calls.

Blue fended off the reptile despite suffering numerous puncture wounds to his stomach. When Gay's daughter and son-in-law arrived home about an hour later, Blue led them to her.

Blue beat out about 100 contestants whose acts of bravery during last year were submitted.

Dog that battled gator to save woman is cited

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-04-2002, 08:30 PM
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
WAY TO GO BLUE!!!!!
Thats what i'm talkin about!!! :D Thats why i don't understand how anyone could ever hurt an animal!!!:confused:
Like i've said before a guy could own a dog keep him tied in the yard beat, kick and yell at him all day long, and if an intruder ever came around and tried to hurt his owner the dog would protect the owner......... no matter how nasty the owner had been!!!!!!
LOYALTY!!!!!
I LOVE DEM DOGGIES!!!!!!! :D :D :)

aly
04-04-2002, 08:36 PM
What an amazing story, yet so easy to believe because we all understand the true compassion behind our four legged friends. Congrats to Blue, a hero and devoted companion.

delidog
04-04-2002, 09:21 PM
yes i remember when that happened...blue is sooo special!!!!! love theose aussie dogs!!!

*LabLoverKEB*
04-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Good Dog, Blue!!! Way to go! :) ;)

I remember reading that, in Dog Fancy! What a wonderful story! Dogs are soooo wonderful!

Gio
04-05-2002, 02:46 AM
It's amazing. I think quite a lot of two legged creatures could learn a lot from dogs like Blue!

ramanth
04-05-2002, 08:15 AM
Gotta Love them Aussie Cattle Dogs! ;) :D

Congrats Blue, you deserve it.

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-05-2002, 08:31 AM
Great Story!

Blue, what a hero you are!

jackiesdaisy1935
04-05-2002, 08:46 AM
And some people say dogs don't know the true meaning of love.
Blue is a hero and it shows the love he had for his person, under the most trying of circumstances. He could have chose to run off, instead he stayed by her side and fought this creature.
BLUE you are a true Hero in my book.
Jackie

jennifert
04-05-2002, 08:59 AM
There is this show that is on Monday nights at 7pm on UPN (I think?) called Miracle Pets. I love it! It showcases animals that have done all sorts of different things from saving their owners lives to helping the disabled. It does reenactments of the "event" (Sometimes a little queer :D but at the end you get to meet the "real" hero) Anyway, they did Blue's story last week!

Way to go Blue!!

Dixieland Dancer
04-05-2002, 10:32 AM
Way to go BLUE!!!

I guess this just goes to show that....

DOGS RULE and CATS DROOL :D :D :D

No offense cat lovers.... remember I have one too!! LOL

tatsxxx11
04-05-2002, 04:21 PM
Oh no, Jennifer!!!! I ALWAYS watch Miracle Pets....EXCEPT THAT WEEK!!!:( Sometimes they will repeat them, especially over the summer. Blue you are a true, blue HERO!!!!

ShepherdLover
04-05-2002, 05:03 PM
That's great! Those cattle dogs, if they can herd cattle, an alligator is probably nothing. ;)