PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your dogs on vacation?

Alysser
12-20-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't because Sassy hates long car rides and would NEVER be able to make it to even Pennsylvania so she can't go. :(

king2005
12-20-2005, 09:24 PM
We took my old dog to PEI (2000km) twice by truck :) He went to all our camping trips aswell. We only didn't take him to my grandma C's place as she didn't like him much (he wasn't a small snappy poodle :rolleyes: ). I even took him to sleep overs & his Rottie friend & his owner (my friend) had sleep overs at my place aswell :)

There was nearly 600 pounds on my bottom twin bunkbed :) Because of both dogs wanting to sleep with its master, we all had to cram onto the same darn bed. I was hugging Rocky, Rocky was beside me, my friend was on the outside hugging Rocky & Max was in his spot at the foot of the bed (doggy butts touching). We sure as heck wern't cold that night. & we were lucky that Rocky only sleeps on his back, so neither of us had his legs hehe

Laura's Babies
12-20-2005, 09:29 PM
I use to take my cats on vacation with me but they didn't mind traveling as bad as my babies now do. I don't take vacations anymore since I have to travel so much for the job that when I am off.... I just want to STAY HOME!

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Depending on where we're going, yes but never all of them. My Dad never goes on vacations though so he stays home with the dogs. When we go to Saskatchewan or BC, Tango usually comes with us....

catnapper
12-20-2005, 09:49 PM
No, never took Nicki on a vacation.... but I never go anywhere anymore either! LOL

Hubby is surprising me with tickets to a play and night stay in Baltimore for Christmas (he told me about it... some surprise! :rolleyes: ) and first thing out of my mouth was "which cat(s) can I bring to the hotel with us?"

Miss Nicki would NEVER be able to travel with us - she is terrified of the car.

petslover
12-20-2005, 10:36 PM
No, we usually don't take the dogs with us. We usually keep them in a kennel or family comes to take care of them.

poofy
12-20-2005, 10:54 PM
I dont go any where for more than a couple of hours..lol..guess thats not a vacation..only once in the last 15 years have i been gone for 2 days..it was
scary..lol.lol.. ;)

.sarah
12-20-2005, 11:46 PM
I'd take Nova and Luka whenever possible. I try to plan my trips around what I will do with the dogs, although, I rarely go out of town. Mandy's anxiety would come into play and she'd go absolutely bonkers so it's best for her to stay home unless if we're going somewhere where we won't be leaving the room often.

k9krazee
12-21-2005, 08:31 AM
It depends, if its a family vacation, of course. If its a trip with Scouts or something I can't, would love to, but its not possible. We rarely go on vacation anymore anyway and when we do (its not really a "vacation") we go up north to our cabin. All of the dogs do come with us then. They all Love car rides and Jack especially enjoys the cabin because his Border Collie girlfriend is up there and he gets to go swimming with her all day long.

lv4dogs
12-21-2005, 08:46 AM
My dogs go with me about 98% of the time. There has only been maybe 2 vacations in my whole life where I didn't take the dogs. I plan my trips around my dogs. lol
I am taking a weekend trip to Canada this coming Spring/Summer & may not bring the dogs. I haven't decided for sure or not yet.

Anita Cholaine
12-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Anita always goes to my grandparent's house. That's like her second home, and she loves so much her grandpa and grandma (and their cat, of course...), so, I think she has a good time there...

gemini9961
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
I never take them if it's a long vacation. When we went to Wyoming in October my Mom watched all 3. Out in Wyoming though I wish I had them since they were so many other dogs, but we flew there and 3 dogs on a plane might be a bit much. Maybe one day we will take them on vacation with us.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-21-2005, 02:32 PM
It really depends on where we're going. :)

Suki Wingy
12-21-2005, 03:22 PM
I would want to but my parents either board him at the kennel or have family stay over (My aunt home from college usually on my grandparents) to watch him. He loves it when they come over because they let him on the couch and walk him like 4 times a day! He becomes the sole senter of attention.
He doesn't really like cry rides so we only take him camping once and a while because he was to be tied up.

CathyBogart
12-21-2005, 04:13 PM
We take Star and Wilbur along on vacation sometimes. Star really enjoyed my trip to lake Shasta few years ago. We have a really fabulous cage-free kennel less than a mile from my parents' house where the dogs are both comfortable, so if we're flying somewhere or going somewhere where it would be tough to take them, they stay there.

The folks who work at that kennel are VERY understanding of both dogs' aggression problems...they used to get sick after being boarded other places even for a day, but this place is awesome.

Alysser
12-21-2005, 05:54 PM
I really hope to when I get older and move out. Since, I am taking Sassy I am going to take her at LEAST ONCE! It's only a short vacation though. But maybe ONE at least. But she is pretty old now. Almost eight. Her birthday is December 26 so that's a factor to.

cali
12-21-2005, 07:00 PM
depends on where we go, most of our "vacations" are FOR the dogs, we almost never take all 5, but all 5 came to the herding weekend with us.. that was the first time we had ever taken all 5 anywhere though. Happy is usually a given that she comes, same with Ripley. but it we are visting family the pets stay home due to allergies.

luvofallhorses
12-21-2005, 07:16 PM
It really depends on where we're going. :)

same here. :)

wolfie
12-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Sometimes. I've gone on 6 trips since I got Daphne (yes, I just counted ;)), and she came for one - when we went up to New Hampshire a few years ago. We had a blast. I'd love to take her on more. (Of course not the overseas trips though.)