PDA

View Full Version : Migraine Misery *UPDATE*

christa
12-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Original Migraine Misery (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=94089&highlight=Migraine) Thread

I went back to my doctor today. He said that he now realizes how bad off I am, since my migraines broke through the Amerge that I was taking. He actually said that he couldn't believe that I was so bad and that I am probably one of his worst migraine suffering patients.

He changed my meds . . . now I will take Topomax 2 times a day, every day and then he gave me Imitrex for when they break through.

I REALLY hope that this works.

I am due to have them this coming weekend . . . Christmas . . . I can't believe that I may possibly be bed-ridden with migraines over Christmas.

:( :( :(

Laura's Babies
12-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Good grief Christa! Those things hurt like nothing EVER did! You poor thing and the meds don't stop them is AWFUL!! I use to have them and I have never forgot how bad they hurt and how bad the cripple you. I would crawl in bed, cover up my head and just CRY! Maybe this new medicine will help... It is nice to set records but NOT for this!!

catnapper
12-20-2005, 09:51 PM
:( Oh Christa, I am sorry you might have a migraine over Christmas! I do hope the Imitrex works. I know how utterly painful migraines are, and I truly hopes the Imitrex works for you (didn't do diddly for me :( )

Takew care of yourself, and I swear by ice wraps around the forehead when the pain strikes.

Rie Rie
12-21-2005, 07:54 AM
I just went back for my 6 month check up with my nuerologist and she gave me Topomax to take at bedtime. Started with one a night for a week and then two a night now and this month I didn't get a migraine after my cycle, even with the stress of the death in the family. If the imitrex doesn't work, ask for Maxalt. I had taken the imitrex at first and it didn't touch the migraine and the maxalt really works.

smokey the elder
12-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Is Topamax the prevention medicine? I know there's a very new drug out that can be used that way. I hope that you can get rid of the migraines. I don't get migraines but I get vicious sinus headaches sometimes that are bad enough.

Rie Rie
12-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes, Topomax is a preventative. It's actually a siezure medicine for epilepsy that through studies they've found that it helps with migraines, at least that's what my neurologists told me. Honey, be glad you don't get them, they can be MISERABLE!!!!

christa
12-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, I took my first Topomax last night and I've been sick all day. Nausea mostly after I eat.

I called and talked to a nurse at my doc's office and she said that since Topomax works against my appetite that this side effect is normal. She said that it would decrease my appetite and the nausea is a side effect that should go away once my body adjusts to the drug.

She did warn that if I start vomiting, that I should go to the ER . . . which worries me.

Guess we'll see how it goes after I take another tonight.

kimlovescats
12-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Poor Christa, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I pray that the new medicine works for you, and the side effects lessen quickly as well!

Hugs,
Kim

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Good luck with the Imitrex!! It works perfectly for me!!

Rie Rie
12-22-2005, 08:15 AM
I take my Topomax at bedtime with a full glass of water and I've been fine with it, although I've found that it had curbed my appetitie some. I tend to get busy and forget to eat and have to make myself eat something. Also I've start with the tingling in my hands, that's another side effect, but it's not so bad that it drives me crazy, so when that starts, don't freak out.

christa
12-22-2005, 08:29 AM
I take my Topomax at bedtime with a full glass of water and I've been fine with it, although I've found that it had curbed my appetitie some. I tend to get busy and forget to eat and have to make myself eat something. Also I've start with the tingling in my hands, that's another side effect, but it's not so bad that it drives me crazy, so when that starts, don't freak out.

Yeah, my doc told me to expect the tingling. I'm not looking forward to that, as I TYPE for a living and am not sure how uncomfortable that will be.

I just don't understand why I am so sick! I just took my 2nd pill last night. Got up this morning and ate 1 piece of toast and feel like I could vomit.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that this side effect will lessen.

It's killing me to think of all the good food that will be served on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day . . . and if I eat, I'll be sick the whole weekend. Guess I'll steer clear of all the goodies. :(

carole
12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Christa I too have a bad headache today and it seems to come from my neck and back pain, was fine yesterday and it is full on today, won't be staying online too long as that just aggravates it, I am dreading I have it for xmas as I have to travel as well, so sweetie I can fully empathise with the migraine because they are even worse and so debilitating, I hope you are going to be ok for xmas, take care and big hugs . :)

Craftlady
12-22-2005, 03:17 PM
I'd call ask the doctor for an anti nauasa medication to counteract this side effect of the headache medication.
You have to be able to function and it sounds like that is not happening. Yes, medications can cause side effects but there are other medications out there that can ease these effects while your body is getting used to taking this new medication.

sirrahbed
12-22-2005, 06:40 PM
aww Christa :(

I am another migraineur and so I sympathize with you!! The anticonvulsant drugs have been very promising from what I have read. I took Topamax for about 6 months and the initial side effects do get better in time. That one was not good for me but there are several others to try (same anticonvulsant family) I am on Neurontin with pretty positive results.

Hope this helps you Christa and that the nausea gets much better.

christa
12-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I appreciate your all's sympathy. And glad to know that I'm not alone in this. I am normally completely healthy so this is serious stuff to me. :)

Craftlady: I have been taking something for the nausea today . . . it's an OTC med called Emetrol or something like that. In liquid form. Makes me sleepy. But it helps.

shais_mom
12-23-2005, 12:03 AM
I found these things in the drug store that are homeopathic type things they are little sticky bands that you put on the inside of your wrist and leave them there - there is an accupressure there that helps with nausea. They really helped me. But it wasn't for migraine related things or med related nausea either.

K9karen
12-23-2005, 01:26 AM
You have my sincerest sympathy. I haven't had a migrane in a while (knock on wood) but would be out of commission for days. It'll probably take a few days or weeks for your body to adjust. At least that's what happened to me when I was taking Nuerontin and 6 other pills for my spine before my surgeries. It sounds like they come on at a timely basis since you expect one this weekend. Maybe it's a hormonal thing as well? At least you're seing a nuerologist. My friend's daughter suffered all her life until she finally saw one. He took one look at her (she was in college) and saw that she already had mini strokes because her mouth was crooked and one side of her face sagged. I'm just saying that because migraines are nasty and awful and dangerous. I pray the meds help you. Nobody deserves to suffer like that. I hope you can enjoy the holidays. {HUGS}

christa
12-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Shais_mom: I actually have something like what you're talking about . . . called Sea Bands . . . they're cloth elastic bands that have basically a metal button on them that you put over the veins in your wrist and it's supposed to be some kind of accupressure thing. It usually works but not always. And not lately. :(

I feel like my nausea side effects are lessening every hour. I felt so much better last night than I did the night before. And I even got to eat 1 taco for dinner! LOL (I wanted another so bad!)

shais_mom
12-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Shais_mom: I actually have something like what you're talking about . . . called Sea Bands . . . they're cloth elastic bands that have basically a metal button on them that you put over the veins in your wrist and it's supposed to be some kind of accupressure thing. It usually works but not always. And not lately. :(

I feel like my nausea side effects are lessening every hour. I felt so much better last night than I did the night before. And I even got to eat 1 taco for dinner! LOL (I wanted another so bad!)
Yup those are exactly what I was talking about!!!
For seasickness or motion sickness.
I wasn't sure if they would help you or not since your's is pretty much chemically induced.
:(