PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Dog Food feeders Please Read!!!!!

ontariogreys
12-20-2005, 07:16 PM
This is in extremely recent problem that has just been discovered

A form of corn mold has been food in some bags of Diamond, this came to light after several dog died, there are several more that will likely die with in the next couple of days,as this mold destroys the dogs liver symptoms, ... it starts out with the dogs not willing to eat but continuing to drink. Then comes bloody diarrhea (old, black blood), then they start vomiting blood. Urine is orange. there is a current recall in effect
more info, including advice if you are feeding and have a dog showing symptoms -> http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=110407

If you belong to other dog forums please pass along, you may be help to save a life

Cinder & Smoke
12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Here's today's (Tuesday, December 20, 2005) Media Release
posted on the Diamond web site >>>

http://www.diamondpet.com/DiamondPet/news.php?data=9

Diamond's PHONE Number is: 800-442-0402
hours are 8am-5pm, M-F, Central Time.

Excerpt from the Media Release >>>

"Diamond Pet Food has discovered aflatoxin in a product manufactured at our facility in Gaston, South Carolina. Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring toxic chemical by-product from the growth of the fungus Aspergillus flavus, on corn and other crops.

We have notified our distributors and recommended they hold the sale of all Diamond Pet Food products formulated with corn that were produced out of our Gaston facility (see complete list below). Please note that products manufactured at our facilities in Meta, Missouri and Lathrop, California are not affected. The Gaston facility date codes are unique from other Diamond facility codes in that either the eleventh or twelfth character in the date code will be a capital “G” (in reference to Gaston). The range of date codes being reviewed are “Best By 01-March-07” through Best By “11-June-07”. Diamond’s quantitative analysis records substantiate that Diamond’s corn shipments were definitively clear of aflatoxin after December 10. As such, “Best By 11-June-07” date codes or later are not affected by this notice.

States serviced by our Gaston facility include Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky (eastern), Main, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont, and Virginia. ..."

See the Diamond site for the LIST of effected foods.

K9soul
12-20-2005, 09:11 PM
How horrible and tragic :(. Those poor dogs and their owners, what a shock :(. I hope anyone currently feeding Diamond will see this.

bckrazy
12-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Wow! How horrible! My sister feeds her Lab Diamond, I'll have to tell her :eek:

ontariogreys
12-21-2005, 02:58 AM
I noticed in Diamond's alert they did not include New York where 4 out of 5 dogs being fed Diamond died with the last being critical and not likely to survive. Because the investigation is less than 24 hours old, it is best to take any precautions possible, including getting bloodwork done to check liver values if you happen to feed Diamond with a G in the batch number and not wait for symptoms, so far every dog that has shown symptoms has died or is in critical condition and not expected to survive despite extensive efforts to save them.

If you are feeding any diamond take your dog off immediately and feed rice with boiled meat instead until the investigation is farther along and more is known.

In 1995 the similiar thing happened with Nature's Recipe, the company pulled 1000's of tons of dog food off the shelves at a loss of $20million, in this case it was a fungus in wheat referred to a vomitoxin.

In 1999, another fungus caused the recall of dry dog food made by Doane Pet Care who manufacturers for 54 brands including Ol' Roy (sold by Wal-Mart). The toxin killed 25 dogs, probably many others but post mortem organ biopsys would have had to be done to prove that it was related to the food, which many owners would emotionally not be able to have done or were financially unable

Because many more people have internet access now compared to back then the news will spread faster in the pet community allowing people to learn why their pet is ill and more deaths will be reported than in the past

Cinder & Smoke
12-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Wednesday evening *bump*

Nitrohydro
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I started feeding my dog a new food Nature's recipe on 01.01.06 he died yesterday Monday 01.09.06. at 12am. He was a very healthy dog only 2 years and half. I don't know not sure if it was the food. Does anybody know anything about this food? I was feeding him before Natural choice and he was fine, but the veterinarian said to change it to Nature's recipe....If anybody knows anything pleaseeee let me know.

Caseyblue
01-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your dog! I have been getting more and more calls about dogs passing away after they have been eating this food.
If you would like more information please visit: http://www.thepetlawyer.com/Dogfoodpage.html

It is so important everyone knows how animals are a part of our lives and not "just" a dog or cat...They mean the world..I am so sorry about your loss!