PDA

View Full Version : Would you oppose this?

catnapper
12-20-2005, 05:22 PM
My neighbor called me tonight all up in arms about a new business that wants to move in down the street. I personally found it eerie, but nothing that makes me mad or raring to fight to stop it..... they want to build a human crematorium up the street. Would you fight it? Or do you think of what good it could bring to the area (namely jobs and money -- which we NEED)

chocolatepuppy
12-20-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't think I would mind it,up the street, but I wouldn't want it right next door. ;)

caseysmom
12-20-2005, 05:31 PM
I have to admit it might creep me out. I am not sure of the processes and the air pollution ...sorry that is kind of gross, is this area zoned for commercial?

catnapper
12-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Yup, my area is DEFINATELY zoned commercial. My HOUSE is zoned residental/commercial. Some guy once came up to me out of the blue and offered me a staggering amount of money to turn my house into a Chinese restaurant! :eek:

caseysmom
12-20-2005, 05:42 PM
I have an undertaker that lives across the street, he is a wonderful man but I am a bit creeped out. Can you tell I get creeped out over death :D

lizbud
12-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Yup, my area is DEFINATELY zoned commercial. My HOUSE is zoned residental/commercial. Some guy once came up to me out of the blue and offered me a staggering amount of money to turn my house into a Chinese restaurant! :eek:

Why didn't you take the offer? :D About the question, I said no way
because I live in a residental area & don't want any business next door.

moosmom
12-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Hell, I live upstairs in a renovated building that used to be a funeral home AND I used to work at a funeral home, so no, I don't think I'd mind. Death doesn't bother me, as long as it's not my own. :p

Laura's Babies
12-20-2005, 05:46 PM
I see no problem with it. It is a necessary service that someone must provide and it has to BE somewhere......

lizbud
12-20-2005, 05:49 PM
I have an undertaker that lives across the street, he is a wonderful man but I am a bit creeped out. Can you tell I get creeped out over death :D

That is so weird. There was a lady in my card club who was married to
a guy who was an undertaker. Everytime we all got together I'd find myself
just staring at her & wondering if her husband ever acted weird around the
house. I just thought it a strange occupation. :D

catnapper
12-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Why didn't you take the offer? :D About the question, I said no way
because I live in a residental area & don't want any business next door.
LOL... because we had just refinanced at the time and didn't want to pay the pre-payment penalty.... hind sight dictates how stupid we were! :p

The street is a mix of businesses and residences. There is an accountant, an architect, a BURIAL VAULT company, an outlet village, a very oh-la-la restaraunt.... plenty of small businesses. The same neighbor who's up in arms about the crematorium was also up in arms when a cake decorator tried to move in down the street :rolleyes:

Toby's my baby
12-20-2005, 06:32 PM
I picked not sure, because it does need to be SOMEWHERE, but I really wouldnt want it THAT close to me. . .

Craftlady
12-20-2005, 07:04 PM
I worked next door to funeral home for 4 years.
Funeral homes are always close to or in residential/commerical areas by design. The older funeral homes were exactly converted homes with undertaker living upstairs. A third cousin of family was an undertaker they lived upstairs.
Funny thing my old roommate from college worked out of funeral home back in 1980's (ambulance service) and when I went to visit her, I slept on couch in viewing area of funeral home. It took few minutes to get used to sleeping in there. LOL Thank god there were no bodies in there.

Alysser
12-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I am not sure to this. I mean they have to put it somewhere but I hate death. I would probably find it eerie and kind of creepy. I mean dead people next door! :eek:

jenluckenbach
12-20-2005, 07:34 PM
OK, now you will know exactly how strange my mind works........:rolleyes: But the one thing that I would want to know is "Would there be any SMELLS associated with what they do?" I would not mind the building or business being close to me, but what if terrible odors come from the process?

EEEWWWWWWWWWWW

Suki Wingy
12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
I would not mind. I don't really get creeped out/scared at anything I can think of, other than ringing phones and accidentally loosing/tossing something I might need.

Karen
12-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Our property backs up to the cemetary, though there are woods between us and the gravesites. Having a crematorium in the neighborhood would be fine with me, and I am sure the process is heavily regulated as to air pollution, so no odd smells would result.

king2005
12-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I could careless, it prob. smells better then our dirty neighbours.

I use to go to the towns grave yard all the time with friends. We always tried to find the oldest grave, but we never stepped on a grave, only looked. SO death doesn'r bother me much. Both death houses as we called them, were beside homes, homes were all around the grave yard aswell.

ramanth
12-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Wouldn't bother me. At least I would know the neighbors would be quiet. :)

I went to school with two boys that both lived in funeral homes with their families.

lv4dogs
12-21-2005, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't really mind too much. I personally would think it would be kind of creepy but no need to fight it. As long as it wasn't in in a residential area & everything was up to code and safe (no bad smells or smoke or something dangerous) then I wouldn't try to fight it. They have to be somewhere right?

smokey the elder
12-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Good question. The first thing I thought of were "emissions" so they'd need an environmental impact statement! The crematory per se doesn't bother me that much. I've never been a NIMBY type anyway (I live less than 2 miles from a nuclear plant!)

poofy
12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
I dont think id mind if like was said before "smells" didnt come thru..
Isnt it funny we face death evey day, and it give us the creeps???Its something we all have to face..why do you think it makes us feel thatway :confused: cry when your born, what is that part about death..??umm cant rember..

kimlovescats
12-21-2005, 02:43 PM
It is a necessary business for sure, and since it is in a commercial area, I wouldn't try to fight it. Like others, I would just want to be sure they followed all health codes! ;)

Suki Wingy
12-21-2005, 03:18 PM
King, so do I. I like going into the really old cemeteries and reading the sometimes funny statements. I like how when they were so proud of knowing their actual birthdays they would engrave something like "Mary Sue lived for 28 years, 4 months, 9 days, and 5 hours"

Corinna
12-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't bother me Tim and I 's first apt was next door to the funeral (sp) home. the only problem was most time I lost my parking spot until the owner of home had the city put up signage and painted out spots.
2nd my hubby had a taxidermy shop for several years what can I say?

Pam
12-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Death doesn't bother me, as long as it's not my own. :p

LOL! LOL! Donna!

You want creepy - how's this? My son's best friend and his wife recently bought their first house. They were in there less than a week when one of the neighbors told them that there had been a murder in that house. Now THAT would bother me. I don't even know why, because I don't believe in ghosts and stuff but it would still bother me.

Suki Wingy
12-21-2005, 09:25 PM
SAME! But I would still live happily in it, just an eary thought. I saw a show on people who believe in "energy paths"

Karen
12-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Wouldn't bother me. At least I would know the neighbors would be quiet. :)

That's exactly what Aunt Bertha said about this house! :)

BC_MoM
12-21-2005, 10:11 PM
That's exactly what Aunt Bertha said about this house! :)

LOL!

carole
12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Honestly I don't think i would be too phased out by it all,might be a little uneasy feeling at first but after a while one would not even think about it really, now if a brothel started up next door , that i would be up in arms about. :D

Corinna
12-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't know Carole but I see some possiblities for making sure your city officals do what you want (shylt puts camera behind Back)

.sarah
12-22-2005, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't like it, at all.