PDA

View Full Version : Penguins and Polar Bears

kuhio98
12-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Okay, this is really petty, but it has been bugging me for a while now.
I live in Alaska. We have polar bears. We do not have penguins. People keep asking me about penguins when I travel. When I tell them that they aren't found in Alaska, they don't believe me. I tell them we have polar bears. AH HA! (they say). That means you have penguins too because I saw them together on TV.
Folks, there are many CARTOON commercials on TV with polar bears and penguins playing together. If that really happened in the real world, the penguins would be dinner! Okay, maybe a polar bear and a penguin could be friends. But it would be in a zoo.

Sorry for this pointless thread. But, I just opened yet another Christmas card that featured a polar bear and penguin cuddled up together.

Thank you! Deep cleansing breath. I feel better now! :p

http://www.searchnewz.com/searchnewz-12-20050920GoogleCantFindPenguinsInAlaska.html

Edited to add this link: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/04/1/l_041_01.html
Polar bears live in the Arctic. Penguins in the Antarctic and southern hemisphere. They are never going to meet in the natural world to become friends or to eat each other.

Flatcoatluver
12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
lol omg!!! even i knew that and I don't like in alsaka!!!! wow, gosh havn't people heard the polor bears eat penguins????

RICHARD
12-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Penguins in Alaska
Further along the dock lies a foundered ship. A resourceful penguin enthusiast has seized this opportunity to build ‘the northernmost penguin zoo’ on the stranded vessel. The penguins have taken over the entire ship, hopping from deck to deck and swimming in the waterlogged hull.

Polar bears
From the steel pontoon you can see out across the bay to the polar bears’ world behind the old ship. Harsh tundra separates their territory from the harbour. They swim in the chilly water or doze on mossy rocks. Polar bear mothers raise their cubs in cosy dens close by.

http://www.zoo-hannover.de/zoo-hannover/en/zoo_v3/tiere_attraktionen/zoo-welten/yukon_bay/yukonbay.html (http://)

LOL,

"yes, we do have penguins in Alaska...." ;) :D

Glacier
12-20-2005, 04:39 PM
LOL! I get asked about Polar bears & penguins roaming downtown Whitehorse! FYI, neither species is in the Yukon

Oh, and don't you live in an Igloo? I get asked that all the time! :rolleyes:

DogLover9501
12-20-2005, 04:42 PM
That is really funny! Alot of people seem to think that all animals that live in cold weather/places live in Alaska(or other places like that).

A bit off-topic, but, I love Polar Bears!

*Edited to add this..*

I get that sometimes too. I don't think it's all that cold here! Maybe it's because it's Canada ;)

Edwina's Secretary
12-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Aren't polar bears very mean? I read that somewhere. My husband always says how cute and cuddly they look. But the size of those paws!!! :eek: :eek:

RICHARD
12-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Aren't polar bears very mean? I read that somewhere. My husband always says how cute and cuddly they look. But the size of those paws!!! :eek: :eek:

Sleep on a cold sheet of ice.....that will not improve your attitude!!! :eek:

Real live PB paws are incredible in person!!!!
If you think you are scared now!!! :eek:

Glacier
12-20-2005, 06:47 PM

They aren't the cute cuddly creatures on the Coke commercials that's for sure! I've always been told that they are the only bear who will intentionally hunt a human, although I also believe that's fairly rare. In parts of Nunavut they get polar bear warnings--kids aren't allowed to walk to school as a bear has been spotted in the village!

Russian Blue
12-20-2005, 06:47 PM

I have been asked that on numerous occasions! And I live in Toronto. :rolleyes:

I tell them that global warming is a danger to our igloos so now we have upgraded to brick homes. :p Can you imagine all the water that would result from the igloos melting all at the same time in Toronto (population of close to 3 million)? :eek:

That's why we went to brick, since we can't afford the flood insurance! :D :p :D

Happy holidays everyone!

;)

Suki Wingy
12-20-2005, 07:49 PM
I get annoyed when people also try and tell me that one of the zoos by us abuses the penguins because they are out in a pool in summer. They are Humbolts!

DogLover9501
12-20-2005, 07:51 PM
They aren't the cute cuddly creatures on the Coke commercials that's for sure! I've always been told that they are the only bear who will intentionally hunt a human, although I also believe that's fairly rare. In parts of Nunavut they get polar bear warnings--kids aren't allowed to walk to school as a bear has been spotted in the village!

I heard that, too. I just love to admire them from far away ;)

kuhio98
12-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Glacier ~ Yep, we get that one too. Another question we get is: "What time do you turn those Northern Lights on?"

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I don't know why it bugs me so much.

Killearn Kitties
12-21-2005, 05:03 AM
:D :D :D I'm glad you feel better after that! Certainly gave me a laugh this morning!

elizabethann
12-21-2005, 08:27 AM
What about malls? Do you have malls in Alaska?

:D ;) :)

RICHARD
12-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Of course they have mauls in Alaska, they have bears, don't they???? :confused:

I was watching the weather channel the other day and there was a report that the magnetic poles on the earth are changing....that the Aurora Borealis will no longer be seen in Alaska....

You are getting off the hook...... ;)

kuhio98
12-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Of course they have mauls in Alaska, they have bears, don't they???? :confused:

I was watching the weather channel the other day and there was a report that the magnetic poles on the earth are changing....that the Aurora Borealis will no longer be seen in Alaska....

You are getting off the hook...... ;)
Hard-dee-har-har! Yes we have malls and mauls. Richard, I read that article too. As I recall we have about 50 years until we could possibly lose the Aurora Borealis. So, better come and get them while you can!

I should have mentioned that most of the folks who have asked me what time we turn the Northern Lights on are visiting Alaska in June, July and August. Seems they've saved their whole life to come up to Alaska and see the Northern Lights. But, they don't want to come in winter when it is too cold! :rolleyes: Do they teach science in school anymore?

Corinna
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
I can understand , I get asked if I ride a horse cart and pack a gun to keep the outlaws away. I answer yes the eyes get very wide. I can ride a horse but don't, but I do pack a gun most of the time. The wildlife we have close to the house make me a bit nervous, grizzlies are just not what you want to try to reason with. Mt. lions are also non selective of prey.
The best one I was asked was by a 13year old girl at a mall in Washington state when I was in line talking to some one was (in a book story of course) "Did I come to the store there cuz I couldn't get it at the general store? "I was glad that no one in line laughed I would have totally lost it. I just explained to this ,very serious girl ,that we did have malls in Montana too but I was visiting my mom (who by the way had to walk a way to laugh, rat!)and it was cheaper to buy it there than mailing it. Of course yes you guessed it this very pretty thing says it . "How much would it be for the pony express to deliver it?" Thank God it was my turn at the regester I could have died. Mom and I had a major laugh lunch.