PDA

View Full Version : Baby Penguin Stolen...poor thing

elizabethann
12-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Snatched penguin may be Christmas gift

A baby penguin believed to have been snatched from a British zoo as a quirky holiday gift is unlikely to survive until Christmas Day, his keeper warned Tuesday.

Toga, a 3-month-old Jackass penguin, was stolen Saturday from Amazon World on the Isle of Wight in southern England.

Zoo manager Kath Bright said the bird, who was taken from a compound where he lived with his parents and four other penguins, probably would die of malnutrition if not urgently returned.

"Toga is very, very vulnerable. The penguin is still being fed by his parents and we don't believe it could survive more than five days," she told The Associated Press.

"The bird has already been missing for around three days and is likely to be severely dehydrated. If he isn't returned before Thursday, he is likely to become so ill that even intensive care treatment won't save him."

The brown-and-white penguin will bite if frightened and refuses to be fed by human hand, Bright said. Toga is too young to have yet had a gender confirmed but traditionally is referred to as a male, she added.

There was no sign of forced entry to the pen, but a thief would have been able to climb into the compound and carry Toga away, Bright said.

"We can't understand what may have been going through the thief's head, but we are worried someone decided a penguin would make the perfect Christmas gift," she added. "There has been a lot of attention because of the film 'March of the Penguins.' Perhaps someone saw the film and thought their wife or girlfriend would be thrilled to have one as a present."

The French movie was a box-office hit and has been credited with drawing tourists to penguin-spotting sites across the world.

RICHARD
12-20-2005, 04:18 PM
"There has been a lot of attention because of the film 'March of the Penguins.' Perhaps someone saw the film and thought their wife or girlfriend would be thrilled to have one as a present."

Funny,

I wanted an Orc after I saw "Lord of the Rings"...

How can any one be so stupid??? :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
12-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Richard,

Perhaps we should get an Orc for Thursday's so David and I can quit hauling firewood? I'm sure Lady, Mario and committee can keep it in check!

Flatcoatluver
12-20-2005, 04:20 PM
:( omg that is so sad!!! I hope it will be returned!!!!

RICHARD
12-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Richard,

Perhaps we should get an Orc for Thursday's so David and I can quit hauling firewood? I'm sure Lady, Mario and committee can keep it in check!

DONE? :D :eek: :confused:

If human nature is to be taken into consideration.....

The moron who stole the penguin is plying it with Coca-cola.... :eek:

areias
12-20-2005, 05:59 PM
I've heard a couple stories of penguins being taken by little kids, in backpacks and such, and it snopes said it was all rumor. I wonder if that story has something to it, though.

CagneyDog
12-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Aw :( That's so sad.

davidpizzica
12-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Richard,

Lady's human, I second that motion!!

Vette
12-21-2005, 05:57 AM
How did someone get it in the first place? :eek:

Pawsitive Thinking
12-21-2005, 06:13 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/4547722.stm

Surely someone, somewhere must know where this little fella is? In the name of all that is decent and humane take him back to his family

moosmom
12-21-2005, 06:50 PM
How did someone get it in the first place?

That's what I'd like to know. I pray to GOD someone does the right thing and VERY soon!!!

Poor Toga's parents are beside themselves. They aren't eating, and they keep going in and out of their nest looking for him. :(

Pawsitive Thinking
12-22-2005, 08:15 AM
From the website of the Isle of Wight radio station :(

"Penguin 'probably dead'

The owner of Amazon World says he now fears Toga the missing penguin is dead. Derek Curtis said the 3 month old has been missing for too long and his chances of survival are very remote. Hopes were raised this morning when a man called police to say he had dumped Toga in a bag in Portsmouth Dockyards. Witnesses have also reported seeing a penguin in the water. But despite several searches - nothing has yet been found and zoo keepers now fear the worst"

:mad: There are no words to describe what I would like to do to the cretin who stole him in the first place!!! :mad:

ComedyDevil
12-22-2005, 09:15 AM
a man called police to say he had dumped Toga in a bag in Portsmouth Dockyards. Witnesses have also reported seeing a penguin in the water.

What the HELL is wrong with people? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Poor little guy, I hope you're ok, wherever you are :(

jackie
12-23-2005, 11:12 PM
That is so sad.

RIP little buddie. :(

CagneyDog
12-24-2005, 12:15 AM
RIP little buddie.

He's dead?

jackie
12-27-2005, 10:56 PM