PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior from Jo. Help??

slleipnir
04-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Jo has being acting weird today. I thinking she must be sick but im not sure. When I came home from school I had to clean up what I think is a pee spot. I figured because Ruf is old he couldn't hold it. Then later, Jo was in my room, and I heard her munching or chewing or something like that, then when I turned on my light there was a wet spot, throw up I think?? only it didn't have chunks or anything in the least in it. But I would have seen her go to pee..I think thats the noise I heard. Anyway, I figured she ate smoething. As I came downstairs to do hw, I spelled this AWFUL horrific smell, so I was thinking "Ahh Ruffuuus!" So I go look in the kitchen, and hes sleeping away, and theres nothing in the room. So I look around, and kinda a nice fresh suprise in the living room, with an even WORST smell that almost brought me to my knees. It was all in one spot so I know it was Josie. Shes always pacing behind, and when I asked did you do this and point to it, she had that "I didn't mean to" or the im sorry look, the way they look when they know they've done something bad. So I was like..ok..thinking she has to be sick, she NEVER does that, and she was let out not to long ago. So I go to let her out, and find ANOTHER spot. I don't know if its pee or throw up, but it spells too.
I go downstairs to find frabreeze(sp?) and she ALWAYS follows me, but this time she didn't. She stayed in the kitchen. Shes also always in my room with me, and now shes not. Shes still layin gon the kitchen floor. Which is weird cause she never is in there, shes always with me or on the sofa.

Sorry for the longness, but im kinda worried. If anyway has a sugestion please let me know! I don't know if this is normal for a sickness or if its something serious (Rufus was NEVER sick his whole life so I don't have much expiriance with it..) Thanks for your help!

anna_66
04-04-2002, 06:16 PM
I'd love to say I know what's wrong....but sorry, I don't I just hope she's ok.:)

tatsxxx11
04-04-2002, 06:27 PM
Oh gosh, Audrey, it sounds very strange! Do you think Jo got into the Febreeze????? I'm not sure if I'm clear on this. Did you see her throw up OR pee?? It's usually easy to tell the difference between the two. The throw up would be mucusy, or "ropey" or have food in it. I think you're saying it's pee??? I would call the vet right away! If she did eat something, it may be an upset stomach. If she got "into something" harmful, you shouldn't waste any time! Poor Jo! I can't figure out what the bad odor would be from.:confused: At least call the vets' and see what they say! Please check back soon. Love, Sandra

slleipnir
04-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Thanks Sandra. I heard her kinda spitting something up, like she was throwing up. It spelled like pee, and it looked like pee, its just one solid thing (mind you its in the carpet so its harder to tell the color and such) there was nothing in it at all (food etc) So i'm not sure. I don't know if I should call the vets, they are closed now and I dont know if you can call the emergancy line unless something like the animal is dying???? Do you think I should wait til morning to see what its like then??

slleipnir
04-04-2002, 06:44 PM
she didn't get into the frebreeze, it was downstairs and I just got it to put out the smell a little. There wasn't anything for her to get into. We have have any sort of "poisen" stuff she could get into, nor was there food laying around where she could get it.

tatsxxx11
04-04-2002, 06:58 PM
I would still try to call the vets'. In the U.S., our vets are accustomed to us calling for all kinds of things, at all hours. There should be a vet "on call," and even if you don't bring her in, you can speak to her or him and explain the symptoms. They can judge from there is she needs to be seen. It can't hurt to try, Audrey, and I think you would feel a lot better. It's the horrid smell you describe that is worrying me. I know when Star gets "just" an upset stomach, she mopes around, very blah and disinterested, sleeping alone somewhere. Keep a close eye on her to see if you can catch her vomiting or if you take her out to pee, bring something to catch it in, like a pie pan of something almost flat. It may be a good idea to have a urine sample if you take her to the vets, even tomorrow. And check to see if she drinks her water. Go ahead, try and call the vets, ok?? S. And check back!

slleipnir
04-04-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks. My dad told me to wait till tom :[ We do have a vet on call, but I don't think ppl call unless its an emergancy here on the island..if she vomits again tonight though I will call. I will update her condition tomorrow. Thanks for caring :D

tatsxxx11
04-04-2002, 07:29 PM
You know, I will be thinking of you and Jo all night, now!!:rolleyes: :) But, as they say, "father knows best!";) I know you'll be keeping an eye on her tonight, and I will too, from far away! You give that beautiful Labbie a big get well hug from me and Star and Cody! We love you guys!! And make sure you let us know how she's doing, ok? Love to you all, and dear, sweet Rufus too! Love, Sandra

slleipnir
04-04-2002, 07:35 PM
Yes I will hehe. But I heard before some ways to tell if a dog has a fever. I checked her nose, its dry and warm, and i checked her gums, which is also dry (for a mouth) and warm......is a fever really bad for a dog?

Crikit
04-04-2002, 07:41 PM
I think it's the same thing with humans if it's just a low fever it can't do any damage but if it's a high fever then it can damage tissues and organs. I hope Jo is okay Audrey.

tatsxxx11
04-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Not to worry about the nose check! My vet set me straight, big time!!! The nose of a dog, dry, wet, cold or warm, is NO indication of fever or general state of health! So there!:D If she does have a fever though, it could be for any of a dozen reasons. Fever is just an indication that the body is fighting some type of infection. The fever in itself is not bad, but the reason why. Have you ever taken her temp? You could, you know! Just a regular old hiney thermometer and 2 minutes is all you need. (Can you believe I'm a nurse and say hiney??:D) Just watch her Audrey. If she starts to vomit again, maybe your Dad will let you call the vet. What a good Mom you are! Love, Sandra

slleipnir
04-04-2002, 08:04 PM
I kinda figured that witht he nose, cause its always variable. But I heard from the vets I think you check their gums, and the inside of their hind leg for a fever. We don't really have a temp thingie we never really use them. I know it's probably just a flu, but I can't help worrying. I want to call the vets but I don't want to bother them late excecialy if i find its nothing. She always snugs with me on the bed, and when I get up, she gets up cause she doesnt like me climbing over her, and the last few times I did that she didnt move. she hasent moved in the last ... forever..not even changing positions...I SERIOUSLY don't know what to do..i'm just worried I guess..wow im so glad I have you guys to talk to! I duno what I'd do without you!! thanks so much!!

slleipnir
04-04-2002, 08:08 PM
sorry for the spelling. im typing fast and not really looking at what i'm doing.

also, shes kinda cold feeling..she i try to keep her warm? or am i just being weird?

slleipnir
04-04-2002, 08:26 PM
She won't drink water, so I gave her some milk and bread, and she didn't loose her appitite so she cant be too sick ;]

tatsxxx11
04-05-2002, 05:09 AM
How's Jo doing Audrey???:confused:

AdoreMyDogs
04-05-2002, 06:11 AM
Just a question, are the dogs fully vaccinated? And what was the "horrible smell"? Was it solid poop? Vomit? Diarrhea? Or was it just a wet spot? She could have vomited and eaten the solid stuff out making it look just like a wet spot. I would take her to the vets office because she could be getting dehydrated from all the vomiting and her refusal to drink.

Good luck. Let us know how Jo is doing.

slleipnir
04-05-2002, 06:24 AM
Good thanks :] She seemed to be a lot better after she drank the milk. This morning she seems to be back to her old self too :D

slleipnir
04-05-2002, 06:26 AM
Yes, both dogs are fully up to date on their shots, and it was the poop that smelled which most does i think lol.

jennifert
04-05-2002, 08:21 AM
Audrey, Is Jo ok today? I know you said she seemed to be feeling better but keep an eye on her! Duncan has been sick the past week but in the mornings he always seemed better and more energetic. Then in the evenings he would be sick again and I would be worried and wish I had called the vet during the day.

I don't want to worry you unnecessarily! Sorry! I read this thread and now I'm nervous!!

slleipnir
04-05-2002, 02:55 PM
Thanks Jen. She still seems to be fine now. I think maybe it was just something that passed through her or something. Not sure. I'll get my dad to keep an eye on her tonight (at my moms) and if shes sick again I'll be sure to call the vets :]

Thanks everyone for the consern and help

tatsxxx11
04-05-2002, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the update Audrey. And give Jo and Rufus a big hug!! You're such a good Labbie Mom!!:)

slleipnir
04-05-2002, 03:14 PM
I will :D Thanks

KYS
04-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Phew!!! So glad she is doing ok :)