PDA

View Full Version : Please Meet Clifford!

Cheshirekatt
12-19-2005, 06:13 PM
This is Clifford. He's a Katrina survivor that came to me via Arkansas. He's heartworm positive and in week four of treatment. So far, so good so please think good thoughts for him!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/Cheshirekatt1/12-15-05005.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/Cheshirekatt1/IMGP0993.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/Cheshirekatt1/IMGP0986.jpg

You can read his whole story in his Xanga journal:
http://www.xanga.com/Private/home.aspx?user=Clifford_The_Pit_Bull

Clifford will be up for adoption in about another 4-5 weeks after he's all ok to get neutered!

Chilli
12-19-2005, 06:39 PM
He looks like a big sweetie! :D
I read the xanga-thing, and its a good thing to hear that he's doing good with his heartworm treatment.
Whoever ends up adopting him in the end will be a very lucky person.

.sarah
12-19-2005, 06:41 PM
He's a cutie! I can't read the Xanga, though, it asks me to log in. Is it only for members?

Chilli
12-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Is it only for members?
I think so, I had to long onto my old account on there to see it.

EDIT: Wait... try this link:
http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=Clifford_The_Pit_Bull

Cheshirekatt
12-19-2005, 06:43 PM
He's a cutie! I can't read the Xanga, though, it asks me to log in. Is it only for members?

Oh, maybe it is....sorry about that.

I'll cut and paste:

Clifford-The Well Travelled Pit Bull

Clifford had been on the road for a while. A Katrina survivor, he'd travelled to Arkansas and then finally up to the northwest where he is to stay. I remember the first time I saw him, #1440, his crate card said. A non-descript medium sized red male pit bull with big soft eyes. He looked tired, and hopeful, trying to lick my hand through the door of the crate. Everthing I've come to expect from this breed.

He was whisked off to a nice kennel facility where we heartworm tested him. It wasn't good news for Clifford. High positive was the result. This meant he'd need to undergo a dangerous treatment to save his life. It also meant that he dodged the neutering bullet for a couple of months! Lucky Clifford....

After a week at the kennel, I couldn't take it anymore and brought Clifford home. He promptly chewed the siding off my house. Good dog! I love to see dogs that whatever circumstances they have been through, fianlly come out of their shell and learn how to be a dog! Chewing on the house is uniquely dog-like behavior and secretly I was glad to see it. My husband didn't share my enthusiasm. Lucky for Clifford (and me!) it's LP siding and we're going to replace it anyway.

An appointment was made at Green Lake Animal Hospital for a thorough check up and blood work so that we could begin his heartworm treatment. He was a total gentleman at the vet. Took his blood draw like a champ and showed people the true personality of an American Pit Bull Terrier. His bloodwork was remarkably normal and an appointment was made for a chest x-ray and treatment.

Clifford settled in nicely at home. He has good manners around the other dogs, but may just like the kitties a little TOO much if you know what I mean. He enjoys de-stuffing the toys and slobbering all over the Kongs that we have laying around the house. He's had very few accidents in the house and learned quite quickly how to go outside to go potty. He's blossomed in a home environment and he's learning to trust people more. I'm pretty sure the poor guy has seen some harsh treatment. Whether it was a boot, a hand or something else, he's been smacked a couple of times. Yet when he looks at you it's with nothing other than hopeful adoration and love, usually accompanied by the trademark pit bull full body wiggle.

The day came for him to start his treatment. The protocol is two painful injections into the muscles on his back, 24 hours apart. Because of the seriousness of the treamtent a two day hospital stay is required. He took it like a pro! Gave all the staff at the vet clinic kisses while they were giving him his injections. Settled quietly in his cage and got many hugs and kisses. The staff was truely smitten.

My husband picked him up and brought him home for the aftercare. This is where the hard part starts. Strict confinement for 4 weeks! The idea is to have the worms in the heart break up and slowly disolve into the blood stream. Too much excitement or exercise can cause a large chunk of the worms to enter the bloodstream and cause all kinds of problems, even death. Dr. Mortimer noted that there were a few changes in the heart that looked like they were due to his heartworms.

Clifford has been home for three days now and is doing famously! He's showed us all the wonderful qualities we've come to expect from these great dogs. Although he has to be confined we're going and sitting with him and taking him for frequent potty breaks. He greets us each and every time with a full body wiggle, a happy tail and many, many kisses. One of the most extraordinary dogs I've ever met, it's nothing but a joy to get to know him. Truely an ambassdor for the Pit Bull Terrier.

The really sad thing is that he's not unique among his breed and I hope his story accomplishes one thing: Instead of someone looking into the eyes of a pit bull and seeing a monster maybe, just maybe, they'll see the little red dog with the heart of a giant.

Stay tuned for more Clifford updates!

Karen
12-19-2005, 06:44 PM
What a sweet, sweet face! He's gonna steal someone's heart for sure once his own is all better!

CathyBogart
12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
He is one enchanting pup! You landed in the right foster home Clifford! Try to be patient with all this resting for your treatment, I know all that pitty energy must be dying to escape!

*Sigh* I'd adopt a big marshmallow ilke him in a heartbeat if I could afford to...

Cheshirekatt
12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Yes, it was his big, soft eyes that won me over. Poor guy has been through so much and is just a big love.

It's gonig to be hard to give him up, but I can't wait for him to experience his forever home. One of the luckiest dogs alive, I imagine. :)

Daisy and Delilah
12-19-2005, 10:09 PM
The sweet story about this angel has brought tears to my eyes. What a perfect example he is of the reason we all love dogs/animals so much. His story could soften the hardest of hearts I think. I'm praying that he recovers and he gets adopted by the most loving family on earth. Kisses and hugs to Clifford. We love you sweetheart :D

shais_mom
12-20-2005, 12:02 AM
He's beautiful!
Bless you for helping the animals like you do!
{{hugs}}

poofy
12-20-2005, 12:44 AM
I hope he gets well soon, and is adopted by a wonderful family :)

tikeyas_mom
12-20-2005, 12:51 AM
AWWW ...

Clifford, you are such a brave guy.
Toughing out that horrid storm, and now heartworm..
I'm amazed you made it through.
I see a very strong will for survival in those handsome eyes.
I hope you find your forever home hunny.

elizabethann
12-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Oh Clifford you're so adorable! Smooches to you!

K9soul
12-20-2005, 08:27 AM
What a precious sweetheart! Definitely a face to melt hearts. You are such an angel to these dogs in need.

Jadapit
12-20-2005, 08:37 AM
He is beautiful! The poor guy has been through a lot. You are such an angel for taking these dogs in. I'm sure Clifford will find his forever home in no time. :)