PDA

View Full Version : Bijou's going in for "sedated grooming" tomorrow!

tricollie4me
12-19-2005, 02:46 PM
I called our vet, who only does grooming under special circumstances (e.g., if sedation is required, etc.). I guess Bijou qualifies, though I confess I still feel sad that my girl can't be "like every other doggie" and enjoy hanging out on the grooming table! In any case, I thought some of you might be interested in the cost estimate for this service:

$40-ish for the anesthetic
$30-ish for the actual grooming

I hope she does okay and isn't too groggy -- I also hope the vet tech doing the grooming is careful not to "over-groom" her since she'll be so relaxed! The last time she was groomed @ Petsmart, the groomer, without my knowledge or consent, completely shaved behind both of Bijou's ears as well as chopped her mane quite short (gee, can you say, "things that would terrify my collie girl" -- no wonder she's developed a fear complex!).

Send peaceful thoughts to my girlie!

gemini9961
12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Best wishes for the grooming. :)

.sarah
12-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Where I work it is the same: grooming only happens if the animal cannot be groomed without sedation. So, therefore, we don't have any real groomers on staff and the dogs don't go out looking as good as they would coming from a real groomers. It is *very* easy to get carried away with clipping them while they're under. I've done it before :p

So, when you take her in, ask them to be very careful. Tell them exactly what you just said, don't shave behind her ears, and don't trim the mane too short. Otherwise, that's probably exactly what will happen.

Good luck to both you and Bijou!

jenluckenbach
12-19-2005, 06:46 PM
I wish Bijou the very best of luck at the "groomers".

Let them know what it is that you expect from this grooming. I would say, for a collie, that brushing out the undercoat would be the most important thing and that triming should be restricted to pads and privates. but you should know that we often shave the area behid the ears of breeds with a coat like a collie due to matting. It is simply too risky to attempt to demat this area because irritation and cuts happen quite easily in this area.

BC_MoM
12-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Wow, that's not a bad price! :)

Good luck, Bijou! Mickey (your identical twin) can't wait to see the stunning beauty that you possess. :D

tricollie4me
12-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for such great advice and feedback, I feel much more in control of today's "special grooming" environment for Bijou. I sure wish we didn't have to go this route -- affordable or not, I'd much prefer not to have to medicate my girl! I'll try to do some before/after pictures and post them later.

Thanks again!

lv4dogs
12-20-2005, 08:49 AM
I wish yous the best of luck today.

For the future, maybe a behaviorist can help with her grooming issues? Might be worth looking into.