PDA

View Full Version : Sprained Foot...

Lovemypitbull
12-19-2005, 11:51 AM
My year old female hurt her foot on Friday. She's been holding it up, limping around. But its not swelling or anything else. It just causes her pain to walk on it normally, yet she still does put some pressure on it. It worsens when she lays down for the whole night. So in the morning she limps more then if she's moving around in the day. I'm not really sure if there is something i can do at home to avoid the high cost of vet bills (my current situation doesnt really allow it). But if thats the only option then i'll do it. Any suggestions will help i greatly.
Thank You.

caseysmom
12-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Did you make sure there is nothing stuck in the bottom?

Lovemypitbull
12-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Yeah, its more up in her 'ankle' area..she wont straighten it out..she keeps it bent. but when i go in btwn her toes and push all over her paw shes fine..she only flinches and tries to cover it w/ her head when i touch higher up on the ankle-ish area.

bckrazy
12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
:( That doesn't sound good, at all. She could end up hurting it even more by dragging it, or falling on it, especially at her young age. Try looking for a low-cost vet clinic, at the ASPCA or humane society maybe. At least call a vet to get an expert opinion.

Do you have any idea what could've happened? Had she been getting strenuous exercise, jumping, anything like that? It could be a bunch of things, possibly an ACL tear or a fracture.

Lovemypitbull
12-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I actually have no clue what she could have done. Shes a very high strung dog, always running and playing. I am trying to avoid the vets if possible if there's any home remedy that could be done. I have an extreamly ill dog that has been going thru tests, ect. Who has to be put down tomorrow. But i fully understand if it is something that needs to be handled by vets. I just dont have much faith in them right now because of my other one.

lv4dogs
12-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Considering that it is still bothering her days later I strongly suggest you get her to a vet. IF there is any fracture or breakage it may have or will soon heal together, most likely in a position that is not the correct position resulting in an even more expensive, time comsuming & more painful surgery.
She could also have torn a ligament or the like too.

If you are uncomfortable with your vet is it possible for you to try another vet office?
I'm sorry to hear about your other dog.

For most illnesses/problems I have a 3 day rule, if they are still sick or injured after 3 days (if there are no other symptoms) they go to the vets. Of course if they showing sign of major pain, illness or the like I get them there right away.