PDA

View Full Version : think it could never happen to your dogs ?, think again.....

tomkatzid
12-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Two days ago Nina had a strange object, thingie, in her mouth. We took it away, saved it though. Didn't think much of it. In the woods, on her walks she finds little toys and stuff. Today Lucee brought one in the house. OH MY GOD, it dawned on me that the neighbor was putting out Rat poison. I ran over there and looked and they were, all over his carport.

We called the vet, she said bring them in, in a hurry.

We have never seen any rat poison like this in our life. The squirrels are carrying it all over the neighborhood. The squirrels will die from this too, as well as cats and birds.

They were all treated with charcoal and now are on vitamin K1 for 4 weeks. They did blood ACT clotting time on Lucee and Nina (they had the poison in their mouth) and have to get another kit to do Ashlee on Monday. They only had 2 kits. I don't know what Lucee's time was, but Nina's was 1 minute 30 sec. And it shouldn't really be over 60 sec. The longer the clotting time the more apt they are to be bleeding inside. Walks only on leash, no rough play. They can't get brusied. So we have to keep an eye on them very closely. They worry if it doesn't clot till 3 minutes, then your in big trouble in a hurry.

We 'may' have caught this early enough to treat. We can only hope.

But the reason I am making this post is for people to be aware of what your neighbors do. We have a fenced yard and never let our dogs out unattened. We even go out with them when the go potty. We feel we are VERY good dog parents, and then this happens to our babies. We are sick. I am so worried.

Here is a picture of the rat stuff. They are big, like 2 inches long and an inch wide, green. We had no idea what it was till the 2nd one was found by Lucee, and I went to the next door neighbors yard.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/tomandkatz/junk%20and%20stuff/conblx2RAT.jpg

Please keep our 3 babies in your thoughts.

ThanksYou, Tom and Katz

jenfer
12-18-2005, 07:12 PM
That's scary!!! :eek:
I hope they will be fine.
You and your girls will be in my thought.

poofy
12-18-2005, 07:21 PM
OH my I hope they will be alright..why does your neighbor have that out..scarey :confused:

jackie
12-18-2005, 07:25 PM
OMG, that is horrible. :eek:

One of my pups was poisoned and it was a terrible experience. I will keep your dogs in my thoughts. You should speak to your neighbors ASAP and let them know rat poison can affect all animals, and look for an other solution.

Ginger's Mom
12-18-2005, 07:27 PM
My thoughts and prayers will be with your babies.

tomkatzid
12-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Thank you both,

The neighbor just wasnt thinking of animals when he put the stuff out. We live near a river and we get big river rats up here. The lady across the st. feeds bread, seeds, ect... to the squirlls and that draws more rats.

We talked to her about it a couple of years ago, but it didn't do any good. The stray cats go to her yard looking for birds ect. to catch and she wants a trap for the cats.

I'll keep you all posted,
Thanks again Tom and Katz

Pam
12-18-2005, 07:37 PM
This is probably the most horrific thing I have read on this board, probably because, as you say, it can happen to anyone! Thank you so much for the warning and the picture. I hope to never see one of those poison blocks. Your dogs are in my prayers. I just can't imagine what you must be going through. (((hugs)))

captain
12-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Thank goodness you spotted it tho ........

{{hugs}} and fingers crossed for you .....

tomkatzid
12-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone.

Please send that little picture to all your pet friends. They may not have ever seen these either. The only rat stuff I have ever seen is the little blue crystals in the brown box.

These are called "TOMCAT all weather bait and chunx" They are peanut flavored. The maker is Motomco. www.motoco.com

luvofallhorses
12-18-2005, 07:53 PM
:eek: OMG! Your precious babies will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on them. (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Ree'sKujo
12-18-2005, 07:54 PM
This is so terrible.Thank goodness you caught it in time.My prayers are with your family and your dogs.I really hope they'll be alright.Thanks for posting the info and the pics.I hope they get well soon.

chocolatepuppy
12-18-2005, 08:19 PM
This is just terrible. :( I will keep your pups in my prayers, hopefully you caught it in time.

tomkatzid
12-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Lucee just threw up her charcoal. I called the vet's but of course at 6:21pm on a Sunday night no one is there. I'll wait 15 more minutes for some one to return my call and then I have to call emergency and see what they say to do.
Now I'm really scared, Katz

.sarah
12-18-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this :( I'll be keeping your babies in my thoughts for a speedy recovery!!

My friend's dog was killed from rat poison about 6 years ago. We went out to her friends' ranch and came home to Ginny bleeding in the kitchen. She was moitionless, but still alive. We rushed her to the emergency vet, where she died over night. They determined it was rat poison, which my friend's mom had put out in the backyard that very day. :(

KYS
12-18-2005, 08:32 PM
I have never seen rat poison, I would have never known.
Lucee and Nina are in my thoughts.

Daisy and Delilah
12-18-2005, 08:40 PM
This is horrible! Thanks for the information. I can imagine that you certainly are scared to death. My thoughts and prayers are coming at you as strong as I can send them. (((((HUGS)))))

moosmom
12-18-2005, 08:47 PM
How horrible!! Lucee vomiting is a good sign. At least the activated charcoal is doing it's job. I had to go through this entire apartment before I brought my cats in, to make sure I picked up all the mouse poison. The idiots on the first floor left crackers and peanut butter out, and the mice had a field day!!

cyber-sibes
12-18-2005, 08:48 PM
I will keep Lucee and Nina and you in my prayers --- and OMG! When we moved into our house I found those things in several places and had NO idea what they were! They had them under the sinks and around the bathrooms.... :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I removed them all over the past year, but I will go check NOW. I sure wish I would have known they were rat poison, I'd have gotten rid of them immediately!

RubyMutt
12-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Oh no! :( I hope your furkids are going to be alright, keep us posted. (((HUGS)))

Uabassoon
12-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this. You and your girls will be in my thoughts. I also can't believe that they make a peanut flavored rat posion, that seems so risky not just to family pets but to children as well.

tomkatzid
12-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Thank you everyone for careing.

The emergency vet said to wait for morning, providing everything stays the same. No more food and small amounts of room temp water. So none of the girls will get dinner tonight.

Lucee was laying by the fire in the living room, and probably got to warm and if your feeling sick, being hot doesn't help. Although she, and all the girls, love a fire.

I only have to work Monday Tuesday this week then off till Jan 17th. Wish I had Monday and Tuesday off too. I can't stand to leave them. Tom may call in sick for 2 days and stay with them till I'm off on Wednesday.

They are in 'their' room now and its about 65 there, so all is well for now.
Thanks again, Tom and Katz

slleipnir
12-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Oh no! How terrible! :( They will definetly be in my prayers! Wishing your pups the best! Get well soon,ok?

krazyaboutkatz
12-18-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I live in a condo complex and in our last newsletter it said that since there's been several rat sightings that they're going to be putting out rat poison. Cats are supposed to be indoor only but my neighbor downstairs makes both of her cats stay outside. I sure hope that none of the animals around here eat this poison. :(

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please continue to keep us updated.

king2005
12-19-2005, 02:28 AM
Poor pups, thay will be in my thoughts.

LoudLou
12-19-2005, 03:02 AM
You and the pups are in our thoughts and prayers.

Vette
12-19-2005, 05:30 AM
Yikes! :eek:
all paws and fingers crossed for them. *huggies*

gemini9961
12-19-2005, 07:05 AM
My best wishes for your babies and a speedy recovery.

Karen
12-19-2005, 07:14 AM
You will all be in our prayers - perhaps as well as posting here on Pet Talk (thank you!), your local paper could do a story - those don't LOOOK like any rat poison I've ever seen, and people need to be educated, especially as they look like children's toys!

cloverfdx
12-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Oh my gosh i am sorry to hear about your girls. I will keep them all in my thoughts, and sending good vibes your way {{Hugs}}.

lv4dogs
12-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Oh my heart goes out to you. I can relate... just a few months ago Kaige got into rat poison that my work put out. If you need anything at all pm or email me.

Its such a scary experience. I'm glad that you caught it early. I too have never seen poison like that. It looks almost like an odd shaped greenie or the like.

I hope the ruppers have a complete & speedy recovery.

And remember folks its not just the poison alone that can hurt/kill your pets, they can also eat a dead rat/mouse etc.. that died from the poison & get poisoned that way too.

Cincy'sMom
12-19-2005, 08:20 AM
How scary for you!! You and your dogs will certainly be in our thoughts.
Thankyou for sharing this experience with us, so that we are all more aware.

A few years ago, my friend;s German Shepherd found some rat posion and they did not knowit for a few days. ( I think she may have even started bleeding fromher nose or mouth). Anyway, they took her in for the treatments, and she receovered with no lasting effects. I am confident the outcome will be the same for your dogs!!

Jadapit
12-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Omg, that is so, so scary! You and your pups will be in my thoughts. (((Hugs)))

anna_66
12-19-2005, 08:35 AM
How scarey :eek:
I hope the both of them are still doing ok this morning and I'll definately be keeping them in my prayers.

Thanks so much for warning us about this.

LKPike
12-19-2005, 09:15 AM
I've never seen those, thanks for posting the pic. if one of my kids brought that in I'd think it was a new type of greenie, actually! :eek:

that is a pretty irresponsible thing to do, though. and I hope both your neighbors can learn from this. I constantly worry about one of the 3 psychopaths I live next to will try to put antifreeze into our yard, we're buying 5 acres waaay out in the country soon. Far away from anyone.

pitc9
12-19-2005, 09:23 AM
My county does air drops of rabies vaccinations for the raccoons, coyotes etc around here and they look just like the picture you posted.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your fur gang.

xParisx
12-19-2005, 09:27 AM
I hope they will be ok. :( I wish people would think things through before they put down stuff like rat poison, etc. :mad: x

pnance
12-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Oh poor pups, I can't even imagine how scary this is. You and your pups are in my thoughts.

Corinna
12-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Prayers for your bunch. Have you talked to the neighbor about the hazzard they have created? The state could help if they are going to continue call the fish and game ,as they are responsible for the wild life.

CathyBogart
12-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Poor pups, I hope everything goes well. Star got into fly poison a few years ago, walked into the house and had a seizure on the kitchen floor. It's the scariest thing that's ever happened to one of my babies. Your pups will be in my thoughts, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

cyber-sibes
12-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Gosh! I found one of those still in my cupboard, I have now thrown it out. thanks again for your post. I hope your pups are feeling better today, will keep praying for you.

tomkatzid
12-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

Lucee threw up a total of 3 times last night. Poor girl.

Tom called the vet this morning and she said they wouldn't give Lucee any more charcoal, just to feed her this morning and give her the K1 and then see how she does.

They can only go on leashed walks, no running around, they might get hurt and then they would bleed more than normal. So they are at the park now with Tom and Nina has pooped. BLACK, Lucee pooped at home before they left, BLACK. So that's good, she did keep some of it in her. Nothing from Ashlee yet. She hates being on leash to do her thing.

I called they lady across the st this morning that feeds the squirrels, (&the rats). She said she would not put any more peanuts or food out for them. I told her that 2 have died already from the rat bait. She wants the stray cats trapped and hauled off. But I tried to explain to her that we are asking the birds, mice, rats and squirrels over to feed at her house so the cats will come. Just let nature alone. It will take a long time for everyone to stop going to her house for food, and they can find another just like hers down the st. But for now I think we are on the right track.

Tom is staying home from work to watch the girls today and maybe tomorrow too. Then I'm on vacation till Jan. 17th so I'll be able to watch them.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks so much for your prayers and good thoughts. I don't know all of you that have posted and we aren't on here that much any more but all I can say it THANK YOU.

Tom and Katz

k9krazee
12-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Prayers for a full and fast recovery :( ((Hugs)) to the kids...

chocolatepuppy
12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
I will continue to keep your pups in my prayers. :)

buttercup132
12-19-2005, 07:20 PM
its happened to me before and actually they thought my dog had rabies cuz she was foaming out of the mouth!!! :mad: they almost put her to sleep!!! and she was only like 7 when that happened! so we took her to another vet where they pronounced her with rat poising.

but i hope ur babies get well soon

jenfer
12-19-2005, 09:32 PM
I am glad they are better. If you need anything, let me know.

shais_mom
12-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I missed this last nite - so scary. I know exactly what you are talking about I bought those in mouse version last year when I had a mouse - I have since disposed of all of them and I had them in intricate places that the animals couldn't get too. I will be keeping your crew in my thoughts and prayers.

Kfamr
12-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Oh no, Tom, Katz.. I'm just now seeing this thread. I have no clue how I missed it. How scary this must be for you both, and for the girls.

You know how much I adore those girls of your's. Please be sure to give them all gentle hugs from me (and one for Kelcee too, of course!) I'm glad they are showing some good signs and thank you so much for warning us all of this nasty poison.

Kay

IRescue452
12-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Oh dear. I just saw this. I hope they are doing ok. I hope you informed any people in the neighborhood with pets. Squirrels carry things far sometimes.

Cataholic
12-20-2005, 11:25 AM
How awful. I do hope the pups recover fully, and quickly!

Thanks for posting this, not only so we can keep the warm thoughts for your pups coming, but, for letting us know about the poison. I would never have known about this!

Get better!

tomkatzid
12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Tuesday 20th Dec.
Again thank you all for posting and thinking of our girls.

Well all is going OK. The girls are still pooping black (charcoal). Ashlee should get her blood clotting test today. The kit didn't arrive yesterday like they thought it would.

Tom stayed home with them last night and I came home from work early. It's hard to go to work and leave them alone. He will stay with them tonight too.

Yesterday we gave them 1/2 breakfast and then 2 pills each. OH NO, a pill on the floor. Which one hadn't gotten her 2 meds? We called the Dr. and she said it would be ok for the one time if only one pill was missed. But not to give them all another. So today we will have them, one at a time, all alone, no distractions. And make sure the pills stay in the tummy of each of them.

At work one person had heard of this kind of rat bait. Her sister used it on a farm where there were many mice. But I gave her all my info and she will report to the sister. She says she is sure they will stop using it. No one else on any forum I belong to had ever seen this stuff. So please pass the word on.

Thanks Tom and Katz

finn's mom
12-20-2005, 11:57 AM
oh, man, how awful. The world can be such a hateful, scary, sickening place. My quote rings true in situations like this...that a human being can have so little care and respect for another creature...it's just embarassing. :( I'm glad to hear that they are doing all right, though. I'm sorry that this happened to you guys.

My Peanuts
12-20-2005, 12:21 PM
omg! That is so scary. You should have a talk with those neighbors.

Roxyluvsme13
12-20-2005, 12:59 PM
WHOA thats like majorly SCARY! Your pups are in my thoughts and prayers.

Vela
12-20-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear that happend, how scary. My thoughts and prayers that all will turn out okay in the end. Best wishes to you all!

chocolatepuppy
12-21-2005, 04:33 PM
How are the pups doing?

tomkatzid
12-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Well nothing new, which is good sign I think. No bleeding, and that is what is the most concerning for the next month. Leash walks only for the first 2 weeks. No rough housing, that’s a tough one. Their blood can be really really thin and a small cut could turn in to a tragedy.

If you can believe it, Ashlee still has NOT gotten her pro-time blood clot test. The kits have not been delivered from the warehouse yet. You can bet I am going to insist they have 3 ready to go on the 18th of Jan, which is the end of their meds, and retesting takes place. That will determine if they need a second round of meds.

so for today all is OK.

Thanks you all so very much for your prayers and good thoughts.

Tom and Katz

tomkatzid
12-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Just go back fromt he vets with Ashlee. She got her blood test and it was 90 sec. just like Nina. So she ate it also. It's a good thing they treated her on Sunday and that she started taking the meds. So retesting on Jan 18th or.

To look at them you wouldn't know anything is wrong. They seem fine. But you can't see thinning blood. So for another week and a half no running on the walks, no rough housing. They are afraid of brusing, a bleed that won't stop or a cut and the bleeding won't stop. Once they have taken the meds for 4 wks their blood should be back to clotting normally, if not then another 4 wks of meds.

Katz

anna_66
12-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Goodness, how trying this must be for you all. I hope when they retest that their blood is back to normal.
More prayers for you all.

Ginger's Mom
12-23-2005, 06:07 AM
I haven't been able to keep up with this thread like I would have liked. This is so scary, and to be waiting and watching all three of your babies for an entire month has to be nerve wrecking. I will keep you and the girls in my thoughts and prayers.
{{{Hugs}}}

lv4dogs
12-23-2005, 07:56 AM
I'm glad to hear everything is going smoothly, or as smoothly as you can get at this point.
I don't miss all the worrying thats for sure. It is very draining on your body.

Continued good thoughts are being sent your way.

dappledoxie
12-23-2005, 09:28 AM
That is so scary, I'm glad they look to be doing alright so far, I hope everone continues to be ok.

sabies
12-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Glad things are going well so far. Lots of good thoughts are heading your way. I can imagine how difficult this is and will be for you until you get good test results.

king2005
12-23-2005, 09:26 PM
On the bright side, it was caught good 'n early, & they all seem to being doing ok :)

I'm so happy all is going so well :)

lv4dogs
12-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Waiting for a progress report, a good one.

4 Dog Mother
12-28-2005, 10:13 AM
I haven't been on the board much lately so I am just catching this. How scary! Last summer I found my dogs eating parts of buns and I couldn't figure out where they came from. Evidently someone was putting them out for the birds and the birds and squirrels were bringing them into the fenced area of the yard. I found that scary because I was afraid someone was trying to poison them. Like you and many others, I have never seen poison like that. I would never have guessed that what it was. You have done a very good thing by making us all aware of it.

Like Karen, I think you should notify the paper and maybe even other media about this potential danger. Not just for other animal sakes but for children's too. It would be too scary to imagine what a child might do if they would find something like that. And especially because the parents wouldn't be aware of what it was either.

I will keep you and your pups in my thoughts and prayers that they get this stuff out of their systems as soon as possible.

ramanth
12-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Oh Katz and Tom, I'm just finding this thread now. How terrifying! That stuff doesn't look like rat poison at all. It looks like a dog toy or chewie. And it's peanut butter flavored!? What were they thinking!?

I hope your pups are doing better and recovering swiftly.

*HUGS*

tomkatzid
12-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Well the girls seem to be getting along OK. They really don't like this modified play and walk part though. Sunday will be 2 weeks and that is what the vet said to get to till we could let them get back to regular activities. Because of the bruising and bleeding factor. January 18th, or after for the 2nd blood test, seems so far away. They had a great Christmas and got lots of toys but couldn't rough house like they wanted with them.
Thanks again everyone who has posted for your prayers and good thoughts, they seem to be working !!
Tom and Katz

anna_66
12-29-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm glad to hear everyone is getting along good, and I hope that soon they are able to run, play and rough house all they want:D

tomkatzid
12-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Oh Oh Oh, I kept meaning to PM you and tell you we have Angus's calendar. I gave it to Tom for Christmas and was sooooo excited to show him the day with angus !!!! What a lovely boy he was !!
Katz

I'm glad to hear everyone is getting along good, and I hope that soon they are able to run, play and rough house all they want:D

chocolatepuppy
12-29-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm happy to hear your pups are doing well. January 18th must seem years away to you. I'll keep your pups in my thoughts. Thanks for the update! :)

anna_66
12-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Oh Oh Oh, I kept meaning to PM you and tell you we have Angus's calendar. I gave it to Tom for Christmas and was sooooo excited to show him the day with angus !!!! What a lovely boy he was !!
Katz
Thanks Katz, glad you and Tom will be able to enjoy that day with Angus too:)

pbandjga
03-17-2008, 07:47 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,338275,00.html