PDA

View Full Version : NOT on the road again :-(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Phred was asking where my annual Road Trip thread was so I decided to start one, even though we're not exacty headed anywhere.

I posted details about our lame start in the Thursday thread. I'll dig out the link when I get done here..

Anyway, so we spent the night in freezing cold Urbana, IL. Thank goodness the heat is working. Terry got up every two hours to start the engine to make sure the hydraulic oil didn't get too cold and thick. This morning as we're getting ready to go, he came in and said the repaired radiator was leaking. A small leak, but leaking nonetheless. Therefore, our revised plan of heading to Ocala, FL instead of the Keys was aborted and we're now headed for Normal, IL. There is a repair facility there and we're going to see if they can order a new radiator, have it air shipped to them and have it in by the end of the day Tuesday. The good news is they have power hook-ups, so I can at least turn my heated floor on. ;) IF they have the part in stock and IF they can air freight it, it's going to cost us a ton of money, but at least we can salvage part of our vacation. Thank goodness I got the entire two weeks off or I'd have to head back to work about the time everything is fixed.

The snots are doing well. Peanut is snoozing in her carrier right now. I just can not get over what a good little traveler she is. CJ is even being relatively quiet in his carrier today with only spurts of meowing. I think we're all a little tired from the engine starts every two hours.

It's about 18 degrees out, and the good news is the flurries have stopped. The roads are actually looking kind of white, which is not a good thing. So far it's not the vacation we expected, but we're still thinking positive that we can be on our way by Wednesday morning. :rolleyes: :( :mad: :)

smokey the elder
12-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Oh, man! You've had nothing but problems with the hydraulics on that beast. Do they have lemon laws for RVs? :(

anna_66
12-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Goodness Debbie how terrible this is for you guys:( I sure hope that they're able to get the radiator for you and get you back on the road soon.

Cinder & Smoke
12-18-2005, 10:52 AM
... the repaired radiator was leaking.
A small leak, but leaking nonetheless.

... and we're now headed for Normal, IL.

...we're still thinking positive that we can be on our way by Wednesday morning.
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

Take SOME comfort that you've been close to repair shops for the latest problem.
Drivin In beats comin in on the Hook!

We'll Kross Pawz & Klawz that the parts show up Quickly and provide a
PERMANENT "fix" to the hydraulic problem!

As a thought - Terry might ask the Mechanical Types to double-check:
* The Hydraulic System Pressure is set properly and not "surging" to a high level
* The Hydraulic OIL is "clean" and isn't pumping metal shavings or grit -
thereby causing the wear on stuff that normally doesn't "wear out".

Purrayers for a Quick & Speedy Repair!!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

poofy
12-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Good Luck , Hope its a safe and happy trip..http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/Achristmas20diddl202.gif

Corinna
12-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Not to be mean but if your still there on wed. you could almost meet Gina at the rate she traveling on here new adventureous life. Sorry you are haveing so much trouble with that new beautiful motorcoach.

krazyaboutkatz
12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Debbie, I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with the RV again. :( Hopefully it'll be fixed soon so you can enjoy yourselves and have a great vacation. Please drive carefully and stay safe.

gini
12-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Wow, Debbie, I bet Terry is not a happy person right now. I am so sorry that you are having all of this trouble with the motorhome. Hopefully these problems are temporary and can be repaired and you will soon be on the road again headed for a real vacation.

I am glad that the kitties are doing alright too.

Barbara
12-19-2005, 07:40 AM
I just stopped being jealous about that beautiful motorhome. Here in cases like that we say that it must have been built one Monday as they found out Monday cars have more problems than any other. Hope you have a warm and not leaking rest of vacation ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks everybody. It's finally inside and they're working on it. The hard part is going to be finding another radiator/cooler. We didn't start the motorhome every two hours like we did the night before, and it happened again this morning - with the tech standing right there watching - so at least we don't have one of those issues where the problem goes away when we bring it in.

Last night was quite interesting. The wind chill was 14 below, and needless to say, we've never been in that cold of weather in the motorhome, so it was a learning experience. We started plugging up small draft holes, then realized the entire front was one big draft. The windows are just not good insulators, and air was flowing in freely under the dash. So we rigged up a little fortress to block the drivers seat and front door off. The heat ran steady and Terry was worried the heater blower motors would go out, or the heat itself would go out. If that had happened, we would have been totally screwed. Fortunately, it didn't happen and we were able to keep the temp inside in the 60's - good sleeping temps. ;) This morning when we brought it inside and opened all the blinds, the windows were all frozen and frosted up.

We learned a lot about cold weather camping last night, but the biggest thing we learned is we never want to be in this situation again.

Oh, Phred, thanks for the suggestion. Terry and I have been discussing the power pump pressure. It's obvious this is a pressure related issue since it only happens when the oil is thick and the entire system is under higher pressure than normal. We're also wondering the pressure relief valve is faulty because why did it blow here instead of out the pressure release valve. One thing we do know is the hydraulic oil that is recommended is 46 weight, but 23 weight works, so I think we're going to use the lighter weight.

This all wouldn't be so bad if something didn't happen every single trip we try to take. It's getting a little ridiculous now and we're going to have to take quite a few trips with no problems before we really start to trust it again......anybody want to buy a beautiful American Heritage? ;)

lv4dogs
12-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Oh no not more troubles Debbie. I hope this turns out to be an easy fix & it's the last fix too.
Hope you have a safe & uneventful trip.

Randi
12-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Oh Debbie, what a nightmare with that new motorhome. :( I really hope you'll get fixed what need fixing, so you can enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Good luck! :)

caseysmom
12-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Well I am still jealous, I am in california where that motorhome yearns to be...hehe I think it just doesn't like the cold.

RICHARD
12-19-2005, 03:32 PM
A new cat or a diamond wouldn't give you any problems like hydraul-leak fluid.

;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-19-2005, 09:20 PM
A new cat or a diamond wouldn't give you any problems like hydraul-leak fluid.

;)
A new cat, no, no problems. A diamond? Not sure I want those kinds of problems. ;)

Well, we're home. Normal, IL is only about 1 1/2 hours from home so it was either spend $70.00 for a hotel room or come home - we came home. The motorhome is inside (whew!) and I guess they found somebody who can make us a radiator/cooler thingy and they will have it done by Friday. There was an 8 week lead time to get the OEM part, so we'll take the aftermarket part in a few days instead - and probably for less money.

The trip home in the car went well, except we decided to stop and get our mail before we came home. CJ was fussing the whole way home - he fusses more in the car than he does in the motorhome - so I didn't think anything about his fussing.....until he pooped. Yes, my poor little boy had to go poopy and didn't know how to let me know! Needless to say we immediately turned around and headed for home. I took him out of the carrier and held him on my lap until we got home - he loved it!

So, our trip is over. I'm disappointed, but glad that we're all safe and the motorhome is safely inside and not out in the frozen tundra. It's been a long time since we've spent a Christmas at home, so it'll be interesting and oddly calming I think. :)

Cinder & Smoke
12-19-2005, 09:41 PM
So, our trip is over ...

Christmas at home, it'll be interesting and oddly calming I think. :)

:(

So Sorry, Deb! :(

Hopefully a Relaxing Christmas at Home will do you both good.
I'm sure Peanut & CJ will enjoy the no-stress Holiday.

Enjoy!! ;)

gini
12-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Aw, Deb, I am so sorry. But this just might be a blessing in disguise.

You have had surgery - job stress - motorhome stress - relax with a good book - some music - no phones - maybe a fire in the fireplace if you have one.........and enjoy some peace and quiet.

There will be other trips.............with a healthy motorhome underneath you!

xxoo Gini

RedHedd
12-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Aw, so sorry about your trip and the motorhome. Xmas with the kitties in front of a roaring fire sounds wonderful to me - much more comfy than out in the tundra.

krazyaboutkatz
12-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Debbie, I'm sorry that you had to end up coming home :( but I think that you'll both enjoy being able to relax in your own home were it's nice and warm with both of your kitties. :) This year will be my first year away from home during Christmas and although I'm excited to be seeing my brother and his family, I know I'll be very happy to be home again with my furry crew. :)

RICHARD
12-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Break out the balloons and just relax.

If you read the "road trip trauma" thread you have to agree that having 'car' problems close to home is far better than getting stuck farther down the road where the only mechanic in the town wears dirty coveralls, no socks and keeps repeating, "That there Mottur Hum shur is a beaut, This will be the first one I ever worked on!!!!" :eek:

And who need a diamond anyway? :confused: