PDA

View Full Version : New Cat/ Advice with dogs

Pembroke_Corgi
12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
My husband and I have been thinking about getting a cat for a while since I lost my 17 year old cat earlier this year. Today we adopted a cat from the shelter, her name is Sein. :) She is about 4 months old, but she is afraid of the dogs so far. :( I have been letting her keep her distance & let her stay in our spare room & I put up a baby gate with a small hole in it so she can go through without the dogs getting in. I also took the dogs to my mom's house for a while to let her get adjusted to the house.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to introduce them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Here's her picture:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/pembrokecorgi/IMG_0761.jpg

Uabassoon
12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I would give her more time. You just got her today so I would give her a chance to settle into the house before introducing her to the dog. Give her at least a day by herself in a bedroom, then another few days to explore the house without the dog. Once she seems comfortable you can start introductions. Try leashing your dog to help her feel safe at first. Then introductions with a baby gate are also a good thing. Always make sure that she has her own place where she can escape to and feel safe and alone in case she gets scared. More than anything though I think time is the key.

chocolatepuppy
12-17-2005, 09:02 PM
When I brought Sassy home I had a 95 lb shepherd/ collie. I worried he would hurt her but they became best buddies. I never left them alone together when we weren't home for several weeks, just in case. You already set up a room the kitty could have to herself and to get away from the dogs if she needs to. I'd just keep a close eye on them.
Your kitty is a cutie, congrats!

poofy
12-17-2005, 09:41 PM
oh she is so cute..I hope they all get along really great.. :)

cyber-sibes
12-17-2005, 09:47 PM
she's darling! I usually kept my cat pretty close to me when the dogs were around, just to be sure they didn't get to rough. But my son's kitten used to climb all over Star's head - she loved it! Star was a puppy when we introduced her to two adult cats - I put them on opposite sides of me on the couch & just sat, letting them get used to each other a fe minutes at a time. worked pretty well.

LoudLou
12-18-2005, 01:41 AM
Cat-gratulaions to Marta and Adele on their new sibling!!! She's beautiful! I would just give her more time.

Alysser
12-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Congrats on your new additon! She is so pretty!

I would put the dogs behind a gate or in a crate just in case and hold her up to the cage. She may just get interested.

tricollie4me
12-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Sounds like you're doing everything right -- each dog/cat makes their own unique relationship and only they can decide if they like one another, etc.

When we adopted Levi and Charity, we'd had our collie for just a few months' time...Levi & Charity were about four months old and they tended to scatter when Bijou (who has a very strong herding instinct) came around. Now, six months later, Levi and Bijou are best buddies, often playing and romping together and grooming each other, while Charity still tends to think she's much too good for a "working class collie" lol. Bonnie has been my most independent cat, so she and Bijou just co-exist without relating too much -- I would say that overall, they all get along, just in different ways.

Best wishes, I hope your new addition brings many years of joy!

Pembroke_Corgi
12-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone! I guess I will just have to be patient.
We chose Sein because she is very outgoing and seems to adjust well to new situations, so I think her personality will help her get used to her new home. So far everything is going okay, and the dogs are not hovering over the gate and everyone seems pretty comfortable, Sein would just prefer to maintain some distance.