PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding the PERFECT camera. . .

Toby's my baby
12-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Ok, I have been wanting a new camera for a long time now, and I have some money, so I would like to start doing some research on which one to buy, but I have NO idea where to start. I do know though, that I probably want a Canon, but other camera suggestions are also gladly welcomed. This is what I want it for. . I want to take pictures of my babies, my friends, closeups of flowers and stuff, and scenic pictures, we take a lot of trips to Arizona (from MN, to AZ, lots of cool places to see along the way. ) and I need a good camera for all of that. BUT i have a price range, only up to $300 if its a little more, thats fine too . . but no more than $400. Thanks in advace! :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-16-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm saving up for a camera too. I'm getting the Canon Powershot A620. The review was AWESOME. It's around $400 or under. I'm hoping by the time I save some money the price will go down. :)

AllAmericanPUP
12-16-2005, 11:19 PM
check out dpreview.com its the best camera review site IMO.
good luck!

cloverfdx
12-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Definitely dpreview.com, that website was my best friend, i love my camera ;).

Toby's my baby
12-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Ok, I'll check that out!! Thank you! I'll probably post what i find and get you alls opinions on them, so make sure you check back!! ;)

Toby's my baby
12-17-2005, 01:22 PM
How's this one?? It seems pretty nice. . . Canon PowerShot A520 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona520/)

.sarah
12-17-2005, 03:12 PM
I had the version before that one. It was OK, but the pic quality wasn't too great and the shutter speed could get pretty slow in certain lighting.

This is the camera I currently have: Canon S2 IS (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s2is.asp). I LOVE it. It's wonderful, and worth every penny! :D It's more than you wanted to spend, but I don't think I paid that much. I think I paid more around $375, after rebates and I also got it on a sale day at Office Depot :p

Toby's my baby
12-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I decided not to get the S520 because of some of the reviews by people who had boughten it. I'll have to do some more looking around. . . I'll check out the one you posted Sarah!

RobiLee
12-17-2005, 06:11 PM
This is the camera I currently have: Canon S2 IS (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s2is.asp). I LOVE it. It's wonderful, and worth every penny! :D It's more than you wanted to spend, but I don't think I paid that much. I think I paid more around $375, after rebates and I also got it on a sale day at Office Depot :p

Wow, I'm jealous! I have had my eye on that camera for quite awhile now and I have never seen that kind of price on it. The lowest I've seen is around $460 something and I haven't come across any rebates for it either. I hope I come across that deal sometime soon.

Beth, I really think the Canon A610 and 620 sound like pretty awesome cameras. I think the 610 is even priced under $300. Have you looked at it yet. I'm pretty sure it got great reviews at that website too. It even has a 2 in. flip out and twist monitor and I love that feature. If I wasn't wanting something with a higher zoom that is probably what I would be getting. Good luck in your search for a new camera.

slleipnir
12-17-2005, 06:36 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

that is mine. I adore it. It's expensive, but I've never regretted buying it. I paid 1500cnd with taxes (I think 1200 us) but I'm sure it's cheaper now...still pricey I imagen....It's a nice camera

I also have the A95. It's a nice camera too, but the rebel is so much nicer that it doesn't seem as great to me. It's a good camera for the price etc though :)

.sarah
12-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Wow, I'm jealous! I have had my eye on that camera for quite awhile now and I have never seen that kind of price on it. The lowest I've seen is around $460 something and I haven't come across any rebates for it either. I hope I come across that deal sometime soon.
What's even better - Nova chewed up my A80 and I gave it to my dad once I got the new camera. My dad took it in a few weeks ago and traded it for the S2 IS, and only had to pay a $25 difference, even though the camera was partially damaged!

I am also getting my mom's Canon 20D once she buys the 30D. It's a *really* nice camera, and I looove it, but the S2 is still very good quality. The 20D is pretty big so having a smaller camera is nice for when I just want to take it over to my friend's house or something and still get good quality pics.

Toby's my baby
12-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Robin, no, I dont think I looked at the camera yet, thank you! I will go check it out! :)