PDA

View Full Version : ideas on how to teach your dog(chihuahua) how to sit?

chealy731
12-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Sooo anybody got any ideas??

tz1
12-16-2005, 07:31 PM
an easy way is by using your thumb and index finger in the shape of a check mark, and run it down it's spine. when u reach their bottom , push down easily, and since it's a spot which enables you to make them sit easy, they should sit. and when they do, say "Sit!"

then if they understand, use treats for motivation. ask them to sit and if they do, say GOOD DOGGIE!!!!!! and praise them a LOT...and give them treats right after they do it.

_Sassy_
12-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Hold a treat,goody,ect infront of the dogs face and bring it back the dog will sit. Get the dog used to the word and when he sits praise him with pats and the treat you used. Good Luck!

caseysmom
12-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I used tz1's method on casey and it worked.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-16-2005, 09:35 PM
an easy way is by using your thumb and index finger in the shape of a check mark, and run it down it's spine. when u reach their bottom , push down easily, and since it's a spot which enables you to make them sit easy, they should sit. and when they do, say "Sit!"

The problem with that method is when you push their butt down they "fight back" and push up. You're stronger, so you'll win and his butt will go down, but it's against their reflexes which are telling them to go up. It's like if someone pushes your shoulders back you don't just fall to the floor, your reflexes kick in and push forward so that you don't fall.

I taught my dogs to sit the way _Sassy_ suggested. My dogs picked it up really quickly.

tz1
12-17-2005, 12:35 AM
I suppose so; with that technique it's sort of a pressure point for the dog so it's not just how strong you are, it's the pressure applied at the right place. It worked for me anyways. :)

cloverfdx
12-17-2005, 01:14 AM
If you use tz1's method just be careful of the little ones back/ spine. I prefer to use positve methods and have used treats and alot of praise.

Goodluck with your training :).

Vette
12-17-2005, 05:34 AM
I didnt teach my dog to sit.. as he came pretty much well trained with the stuff he knows. :o

but sometimes ill hold a treat so far above his head and backwords,, that it makes him arck his neck towards his spine.. but he gets tired of that,, so he sits on his own to see the treat better.

but if your pooch keeps moving around,, that wont work.
mine stays pretty still with a fixation on the treat

chealy731
12-17-2005, 05:36 PM
kk Thanks guys!!!