PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find Gypsee!

Bunnicula05
04-04-2002, 09:53 AM
ocThe other night I took my buns out for their daily exercise and then went back upstairs to eat supper. I went back down and I couldn't find my Californian, Gypsee. I looked everywhere! I looked in the closet, under the chair and couch, in my room, in the laundry room, in the shower, even up staris! I sat down on the floor thinking she would come out of her hiding spot. When I heard something coming from the closet. Then I saw some white fur poking out of the crack under the closet door. I opend up the closet and there was Gypsee! dust covered and all. She must have been hiding in the closet when I checked in there. LOL. I must have left the closet door open just enough for here to get in there when I had to get the vaccum out to vaccum. WHAT A RELIEF!
Then last night, I took the buns out of their cage cuz I got home at 9 o'clock and they needed to get out and exercise. Well I left them out all night long cuz after I took them out of their cage I went to bed. My Mom, this morning, informed me that they had chewed a huge hole in the ruffle of the couch and that Gypsee had gotten up on the couch and nibbled a little bit of the cushion. *Sigh* It's an old couch anyway, but now it looks tacky. LOL. But from now on they will just have to be supervised.

Daisylover
04-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Yeah, bunnies need to be supervised when out...or they need to be where stuff is that you don't care about. I learned this the hard way. In my 6 years of bunny keeping every once in a while I get oblivious or decide they deserve a treat, like a longer time out of their room and I usually end up with a nibble here or there taken out of furniture, or somehow they get to the telephone line and cut off my service. Electric wires are especially dangerous for bunnies to chew on.

Hope your mom wasn't too upset and kicks them out of the house as a result.

You might check the House Rabbit Soc website on bunny proofing. And you might give you guys some toys. They don't have to be purchased...an empty role of toilet paper, plastic measure spoons, margarine tubs and/or lids make good toys. Buns especially like large, empty cardboard boxes turned upside down for hide n seek, or playing mountain climber. Be sure to cut 2 good size wholes in the cardboard so they have more than one way to get out. They might enjoy having a old towel to bunch up and push around. Buns do get bored easily, so you might want a good supply of toys and rotate them. Baby rattles are good too.

I'm so glad you are having fun with the buns now that they are inside!!!! You'll see that the more you play with them, the more their little bunny personalities develop and they shine. :D

Heather Wallace
04-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Yes, thats what I had to do, last year before Bunny had the babies she dug under the fence and went missing for 1 hour she ended up in next doors garden. Our garden is secure now but I supervise just in case or put them in the run where I know they are safe.

Tigeress
04-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Bunnicula05 - I just wanted to write you a quick note about how much I love your little signature that talks about Bunnies and Easter not mixing! Wonderful!! Spread the word!

It is a great frustration to us down at the shelter a few weeks after Easter when people start bringing in bunnies that they gave as gifts!! We call it "Easter Fall Out" and we've got one coming! Ack!! Last year we got in 64 bunnies that we had to find homes for. I went into a Pet Store the other day to get dog food and saw that they also had chicks for sale some of which had been dyed diffrent colours! I took my bussiness else where.

On a lighter note we once had a guy bring us a chick and he *insisted* that it was a baby hawk! We were like "Uh, no, that's a chicken". He left in a huff. People are so strange!

Cheers,
Tigeress

Bunnicula05
04-04-2002, 03:51 PM
LOL A HAWK! LOL! Sorry, found that ABSOLUTELY enlightening!

zippy-kat
04-04-2002, 07:13 PM
A chicken hawk perhaps? lol

I am thinking of fostering an "easter throw away" (but I honestly don't know if that's the case or not--that's just a guess since it happened so close to easter)--I really dont' have much info at this point...the lady just did contact me--will let you guys know when I do! ;)

Daisylover
04-05-2002, 09:44 AM
OOOhhhh, that is soooo cool that you're thinking of taking in another bunny even if only temporarily! :cool: You'll be saving a life and trying to find him/her a good home. How wonderful!

Have you checked with Miz Sophie? Maybe she would like to have a boyfriend or a sister! :D
I think it's a good thing I live in a townhouse...if I had any room at all I surely would have more than my 5 bunnies...I'm such a sap for those little fuzzy faces.

Stenograsaurus
04-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Tigeress
[B] It is a great frustration to us down at the shelter a few weeks after Easter when people start bringing in bunnies that they gave as gifts!! We call it "Easter Fall Out" and we've got one coming! Ack!! Last year we got in 64 bunnies that we had to find homes for.

At least they brought them to the shelter in hopes of you guys finding them a home. My neighbor got her 4 yr. old a rabbit that has to live outside :eek: in the cold in a little cage with no exercise!!! I'd rather see them take it to the shelter than live that kind of life!!!!!! I would rather they never even got the rabbit, but it's too late for that. They got her one last year for Easter and it died already. So they got another one this year. They obviously see nothing wrong with their behavior!!!:( :rolleyes:

Bunnicula05
04-05-2002, 03:45 PM
That's horrible. In my opinion, you should be educated before making a commitment to a little helpless bunny that depends on you.

Tigeress
04-05-2002, 10:45 PM
Unfortunatly there aer no regulations or laws as to who can buy an animal. Which does suck. Particularly in the case of small animals that people don't know how to care for. We had one abused rabbit brought in by the neighbours. They stole it!!!! They admited this right off the bat. The lady who orginaly owned it had alzhimers and never rembered the thing, her daughter had given it too her. The neighbors called the police on the rabbit several times, but they didn't do anything. Then she called us several times, but we said we could just come and take the animal. So she did what she felt she had to do. We took the rabbit anyway and found it a better home (it was in really bad shape, took a month to get it back to health). It was a very strange case.

I'm glad to hear that you guys get your rabbits from shelters rather than pet stores. It really it the way to go. Nothing is better than a Second Chance Pet.

Cheers,
T

Bunnicula05
04-06-2002, 07:51 PM
My parents got my rabbits for me from a breeder. The cost $7 each. I wish I could have gotten one from a shelter, but I don't think there are any where I live.