PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy advice??

senorita02
12-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Ok some of you know my pooches but i havent been posting that much lately.
This Sunday we are going to take the 6 hour drive to go look at an 11 week old Presa Canario pup, we already have our 6 year old male Rotti (Face) and a 3year old female Presa Canario (Senorita).. anyway we are debating wether or not to get another dog but the problem is the pup will be male and i am nervous of bringing another male dog into the house with our male Rott, right now my two babies are amazing with each other, they could not live without one another, i am afraid of jealousy etc. with my female towards the new pup and with my Rott being hurt that another male is brought into the home, how have any of you handles introducing a 3rd pup into the pack?

Face is amazing with all other dogs , and very well socialized with puppies and dogs, Senorita however has never been socialized with puppies. And she is a big girl so i want to make certain she is good with him.
Thanks

Husky_mom
12-16-2005, 03:33 PM
i guess senorita wil have no trouble since it´s a puppy, maternal instincts kick in, and iwht Face i see no problem, until maybe the pup is old enough to be considered competition, but maybe by then they are great pals, who knows, i never owned two males at same time, just females some are great but there are cases when they are not, it´s like flipping a coin, basing on socialization, training and jerarqui (sp?).

senorita02
12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks HuskyMom, i was thinking the same hopefully when the pup is of age he will accept Face as Alpha dog, but... most likely he will challenge him at one point, so i hear.
I just dont wanna make Face sad. (He is the love of my life) :D

k9krazee
12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
I think bringing in a puppy instead of like an adult dog would be a lot easier for them to get used to. I have 5 dogs and they all get along surprisingly well. Shadow was an only dog for 7 years and we were afraid adding another dog but she adjusted great to Micki and Mini, no problems at all. I have 2 males in the house, and I've gotta say that I actually have more problems with the 3 females getting along, the boys are usually great together.

We defianately need some pictures of Face and Senorita, its been waaaay too long :) And the puppy too :D
Good luck!!

senorita02
12-16-2005, 03:45 PM
ok here is the lil guy...he is 11 weeks in the pic, if and when we bring him home it wont be til he is 13 weeks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/facer05/presa2.jpg

And here are a few of the kids...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/facer05/DSC02028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/facer05/DSC02015.jpg

My Peanuts
12-16-2005, 04:15 PM
First of all he is adorable!

Secondly, I had Sylvia and Harley for 2 years when I introduced Morty and then a month later Jimmy. 3 males 1 female. Different breeds, but same concept. Here's how it's working out for us. Morty has been with us since June. He has no problems with Syl or Harley. Harley is very protective and gets depressed easily. I worried that another male would be bad for him, but they play nicely and they are buddies now. Then when Jimmy came Harley had a problem with him. No aggression, but you can tell that Harl doesn't like Jim. He is getting over it slowly. Plus I think part of the problem is that Jimmy isn't neutered yet and everyone else is fixed already. They know he's different. Plus he acts "weird" because he was a badly abused stray.
Long story short, they are working out their differences over time.

Your guys are pretty young like mine, so they should have no problem accepting a new guy (my opinion). The only problem we have is that Morty is only 1 year old and the energy level is a lot different. Your two might get frustrated with the new guy because he will probably want to play all the time. All of it can be worked out over time. You’ll never know unless you get him. All “packs” are different. :)

Husky_mom
12-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Love The Pics!!!!

pnance
12-16-2005, 04:38 PM
I have 2 males in the house, and I've gotta say that I actually have more problems with the 3 females getting along, the boys are usually great together.

I agree, I have 2 males, 2 females and have had more problems with the females getting along than my males.

Love the pics... :D

areias
12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
It's always said that if males don't get along at first, they might just have a little tussle...if females don't get along, they will fight to the death. I have two males and a female. The two males get along great, but with one of my males and my female, I have to keep all toys and rawhides outside, or they will fight.

I did bring a puppy into my home a little over a year ago, a skinny one that I picked up. Sam was almost 7 years old, and he really did not enjoy it. He didn't do anything, but he was extremely annoyed and had an attitude the whole time it was here. We found it another home (we werent ready for another dog) so I'm not sure what would have happened.

Ginger's Mom
12-16-2005, 06:04 PM
I do not have any advise, since I have never had more than one dog at a time. Although I will say that my sister has had a two dog household for many many years and they have always had males, and have not had any problem whatsoever. I do think that Diana made a good point though about the energy level between the pup and a six year old Rottie.

Anyway my real reason for posting is to say *swoon*, he is absolutely adorable. :D How could anyone resist that precious face. And to say I really do think that Face and Senorita are beautiful dogs, and it has been too long since I have had the opportunity to tell you that. Don't make us wait so long next time. ;)

poofy
12-16-2005, 06:15 PM
all your gang is just so pretty and I think that adorable guy will fit right in :)

senorita02
12-17-2005, 07:21 AM
Thankyou so much everyone, tomorrow is the big day we go meet him, i just hope he has a good temperment, that will help make our decision a lot easier!
oooh im so excited!

RobiLee
12-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Ohhhh MY! I don't have any advice. I just had to stop in and say that I hope everything works out. What a cutie!!! My goodness you already have two very stunning dogs and now you might get a 3rd one?! I'm JEALOUS! :p

I love those pictures of Rita and Face. They are gorgeous! Give them both big hug from me, please!

Suki Wingy
12-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Señorita is GORGEOUS! Face looks like such a loyal buddy. I hope everything works out because that pup is very cute!

captain
12-18-2005, 04:55 PM
OMGoodness - what a darlin ......

Fingers crossed that it does all work out for you ....... :

jackie
12-18-2005, 07:28 PM
OMG!!!!!! He is beautiful, I am hoping you will get him so I can see pics of him all the time. I have to say it again, OMG!!!!

I am jealous! :eek:

senorita02
12-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys, well we made the drive yesterday and got home around 10pm we left at 10am, anyway, we met the mother , father, and the two pups left , one male one female, i am in love with the papa dog he is huge at 130 pounds and sooo friendly. However, both the male and female pups were gorgeous, we have decided IF we get one it will be the Female, she had a little better temperment i thought and was so gorgeous, the male peed three times on our shoes while we were there and was humping everything in site, LOL we decided Face would not like him at all, maybe if he were the only male but Face comes first, now there were a few things we did not like though, so the decision has not been made yet, the female pup was very ill. she had a bad cough and was on antibiotics, the breeder said it was cuz she had a bath last week and then was taken outside and got sick. She has a heated kennel but to get to it she has to step outside she lives on a huge property & the kennels are on the property, so aside from the lil baby being kinda sick, the boy had a big lump under his chin, i asked her what this was and she said from the adult dogs, (she has 35 total dogs) very large, she said they play very rough with the pups and when the pups try to steal there food they teach them that they cannot eat first and do that by nipping etc on them, this breed has very long cat like toenails, and i know first hand how Rita can be with hers, when i left there i had red scratches and nip marks all over my hands from the puppies, but it just seemed weird that she was showing 2 puppies with lumps and bumps on them we told her we were not taking a pup with that on them, especially at the price she is asking for the pup so she agreed and said not to worry she would keep the pup we chose seperate form the adults for 2-3 weeks til there bumps healed up. Again it just seemed wrong that she was even showing these babys with there lumps, but.. i truly fell in love with this female and so did Vince, the decision is ultimately his since he is paying for her, but we dont want to purchase a sick or unhealthy pup who in the future will have medical problems. This is the same breeder we got Rita from, but that was 3 years ago and sadly we were not as knowledgable on breeders etc, then, anyway any advice now that we saw the pups, dont these things seem weird?? or am i just crazy?

senorita02
12-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Well, im not sure if anyone cares, but... i just got off the phone with my boyfriend and we have ,,,well he has decided not to go ahead with this breeder for obvious reasons, although i have to admit i am so sad, i really wanted this little girl, i feel bad for her, she needs to be in my home with love, and now i feel she will go to a bad home, :( i just dont see why she has to suffer cause the breeder isnt good. :(

*LabLoverKEB*
12-19-2005, 03:11 PM
IMO, this breeder does not sound like a very good breeder. :( :( Did the puppies/dogs have dirty living conditions?? Maybe he just got a parasite from another pup, and that's why he has that bump under his chin? Who knows, only a vet would probably know why. I'm so so sorry that this didn't work out for you. :(

senorita02
12-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Well we didnt actually see their living conditions she brought us in the house with the pups & parents. When we went there 3 years ago for Rita the conditions were good but we didnt see them this time, the pups and adults smelled real bad though, she said she was not giving the pups baths until they went to homes because she didnt want the others to catch a cold like the female did. I dont really know, but we have decided it was in our best interest to look at another breeder, although i feel so bad for the innocent pups, they deserve good loving homes.

lv4dogs
12-19-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. When the time is just right the just right puppy will be there for you. :D

I know its hard and yes all dogs deserve a loving home but if it makes you feel any better just think of how you are not supporting the breeder. Maybe the breeder will learn something from this experience. Hopefully.

senorita02
12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Well when i told her we were not going to be taking the pup she said that it was ok but she thinks its cuz the cough on the pup and will not be showing her to any potential buyers until she is cleared up, but i hope she means the lumps and bumps too!
I just told her my boyfriend was not ready. I maybe should of told her the truth but didnt think she would want to hear it or even care. she at least knows now not to show a sick pup, and hopefully will get them medical attention if they need it.

caseysmom
12-19-2005, 06:07 PM
When we got bubba he had bumps all over his neck, it was from his siblings and him biting each other. Is it possible it was something like that?

lizbud
12-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Well, I think you are being very wise to not get a puppy from these
people.I think your impression of something wrong was probbly correct.
Lets hope the next person to check out their dogs is a smart as you are.

dab_20
12-19-2005, 07:22 PM
He is so cute!! And your other pups are gorgous, like always!

I think him being a puppy will be a lot easier. I bet Face will probably become good buds with him before he can think of him as a threat. And if Face is nuetured, I bet it will work out. I have only had two females and now a male and female, so I don't have too much experience. If you get that adorable pup, hope everything works out!!

k9krazee
12-19-2005, 07:26 PM
He is so cute!! And your other pups are gorgous, like always!

I think him being a puppy will be a lot easier. I bet Face will probably become good buds with him before he can think of him as a threat. And if Face is nuetured, I bet it will work out. I have only had two females and now a male and female, so I don't have too much experience. If you get that adorable pup, hope everything works out!!

Pssst...read her above post... ;) :p :D

Christiansmommy
12-19-2005, 09:16 PM
I think you are making a good decision. I would look around for another breeder, IMO, too.

I personally don't think the puppies should be around the big dogs at all yet...not only the nipping issue, but being stepped on and injured. Swissies are a large breed as well, and my breeder had many adult dogs on his farm, but also had a section just for when the puppies were out to play in...the only adult dogs allowed in that area, were the mother, and some of the older puppies (that he was keeping for himself), like maybe 6 months old or whatever, and not full grown, so they could teach the little ones manners, w/o hurting them.

Anyway, it is a big decision bringing another dog in the house and especially since you have 2 already. I think you and your boyfriend are making a good decision...you have to feel comfortable with your breeder, you'll find a good one and that special pup too!! :) Good Luck.

Robyn

dab_20
12-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Pssst...read her above post...

LoL sorry- i don't always read all the posts. *hit in the head* lol

*LabLoverKEB*
12-20-2005, 06:22 PM
You made a very good choice to look around for another breeder. Good luck! By the way, your kids are georgous! :eek:

anna_66
12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Sorry this didn't work out for you but it sounds like your making the right choice.
The breeder I got Bon from kept all the pups seperate from the big dogs, I can't imagine her keeping the pups and the adults together. Sounds like trouble to me (and obviously it was).
I do hope you end up finding a good breeder, well that is if you still decide to get a pup.

I read what you wrote about Face (not being sure if he'd like a pup) and I'll tell you our experience with Angus and pups...he loved them! Of course he had to go right up to them and push them around with his big ol' head and get some good sniffs in which kinda made us nervous at first, but he was always so good with them. Big dogs, a big no no but pups...bring um' on:D

Angus with my brother's chi/mini pin (male)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/pb02ed9d46db14b923a8d86d01414de0e/fbf34bf4.jpg
Angus with a stray someone dumped in our yard (male)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/pbb4f83b4aee031bfafff02fafbef0a7a/fcc04778.jpg
Angus with my mom's RB dog Cujo (male)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p5f7d77cca78ea6a59a19e03f8b8c472f/fcc0434e.jpg
And lastly Angus with his baby sister Roxey
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/pe9e407e392c3c309004f9ce0b733f335/fcbd993b.jpg

Sorry to go on, but I just wanted to show you that my boy who didn't like other dogs loved puppies...even the male ones:D

Thanks for sharing a couple of pictures of your sweeties, they are looking fabulous! You definately need to share more pictures of them!!

Ginger's Mom
12-21-2005, 06:04 AM
Anna, those pictures are too cute!!! :D

senorita02
12-21-2005, 07:27 AM
Yes Anna those pics are amazing!
Funny thing is Face loooves puppies too but not sure about the males once they become adults and are not fixed then there is trouble, we did have a rottie pup male for a while and Face loved him, however his cousin Jackson another male Rottie adult he hates him, he has attacked him several times, and Jackson is not fixed, so that was mainly my concern the two males as adults, and the new Presa would not be fixed right away.
But... anyway thats all irrelavent now as we decided to go with a female after all, and yes we are still looking in fact we have chosen a well known Presa breeder in Canada we are going to see their dogs after Christmas i will keep u all posted, here is their website though, they have beautiful Presa Canarios.We have been eyeing them for years but never thought to branch out to another breeder, now we know we have to in order to get a good pup. Thanks Again for all the replies...

http://dogocanario.ca/?