PDA

View Full Version : What size Crate should I buy?

Lescoop77
12-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi everyone! I'm happy to report that Pandy is getting a new baby brother for Christmas. A lab/Golden retriever mix. He'll be 8 weeks next week when we bring him home. I am going to buy him a crate and start crate training him, but my question is - should I buy a smaller sized one for him now and get a bigger one as he starts getting big - or buy the big one now?

lv4dogs
12-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Congrats on the new addition.

Midwest has awesome crates now and I think other brands have them too. They come with a divider panel that allows to adjust the size as the puppy grows.
crates (http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/ProductPages/LS-1600DD.asp)

I'm not exactly sure what size would work as he's mix & you just don't for sure how big he will be when he's full grown but I'd guess that the 42 L x 28 W x 31 H" would work just fine.

pitc9
12-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Yes, the one with the divider you can move would be the best!!

.sarah
12-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Midwest has awesome crates now and I think other brands have them too. They come with a divider panel that allows to adjust the size as the puppy grows.
crates (http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/ProductPages/LS-1600DD.asp)

I'm not exactly sure what size would work as he's mix & you just don't for sure how big he will be when he's full grown but I'd guess that the 42 L x 28 W x 31 H" would work just fine.
I have two of those crates, although they are both the larger size ( 48 L x 30 W x 33 H"). I have two Labs and a GSD/Pit mix. The Labs are about 10-15 lbs bigger than Mandy. Mandy is a little small for the crate but I like it for her size because she has room to stretch. It's a pretty good size for my Labs, too.

Since he is Lab/Golden and a male, he will probably need this size if you want him to have a little room. The smaller sizes would have fit my girls fine, but they wouldn't have room to stretch out to sleep. If you have room for it, I would get the larger size.

.sarah
12-16-2005, 04:43 PM
You know what, I think I do have the 42" one. I can't remember off hand, but I'll measure later :)

Lescoop77
12-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I went w/ the 36' crate. It is a pretty good size metal one. It came w/ the dividers so as the puppy grows I can make the room for him bigger. I'll post pics once I get him all settled. I pick him up on Friday! I'm so excited. I just hope that Pandy adjusts well, she has been the only girl for the past 3 years and is spoiled rotten! :) But I think she needs a playmate!

lv4dogs
12-19-2005, 08:22 AM
I can't wait for puppy pics. I bet your so excited.

I don't meen to ruin your parade but thats the size I have for Kaige and if he grows more than a couple more inches I am afraid I'm going to have to get the next size bigger and he's an Aussie, a lot smaller than a Lab or a Golden. I just wanted to let you know early so if you wanted to you could return it with no problems since it is still brand new.

Good luck with the puppy. :D

Lescoop77
12-19-2005, 08:35 AM
REally? The picture on the box has a full-sized Golden laying down in it. Says it holds up to 75 lbs? Maybe I have the " wrong. Either way at least I kow it's going to work for awhile! :)

Thanks!

lv4dogs
12-19-2005, 08:39 AM
REally? The picture on the box has a full-sized Golden laying down in it. Says it holds up to 75 lbs? Maybe I have the " wrong. Either way at least I kow it's going to work for awhile! :)

Thanks!

Yup really. I can't remember but the picture on my box but it scared me... it was a bassett or min. schnauzer or something, I know it was smaller than an Aussie. I was thinking it would be way too small for Kaige. Sometimes I think they just put "genaric" pictures on the boxes.
If you look at midwest's site it shows a golden in the 42 L x 28 W x 31 H sixe crate.

tz1
12-19-2005, 11:10 AM
i got the biggest size for zero when he was a pup, i just put toys and pillows and stuff to make it smaller

finn's mom
12-19-2005, 11:45 AM

Thanks!

You may just have the number wrong...I mean, you're more likely going to remember the breed that is pictured on the box than the exact measurements. But, the crates with the dividers are definitely the way to go. Good luck with the new puppy!

Lescoop77
12-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks! I am interested to find out how those of you w/ two dogs like it. Is it good that they have each other to play with etc. etc. I know Pandy will be a jelous at first but I think she'll adjust just fine.

lv4dogs
12-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks! I am interested to find out how those of you w/ two dogs like it. Is it good that they have each other to play with etc. etc. I know Pandy will be a jelous at first but I think she'll adjust just fine.

My group of 3 just loves each other. I think they'd be lost with out one another. You may experience a little jealousy at first but once Pandy realizes that the pup is there to stay & is a fun playmate everything will be just fine.

.sarah
12-19-2005, 06:01 PM

Thanks!
I checked, and I have the 42" for my dogs, who are all 57-65 lbs, and anything smaller would be almost cruel to put them in. Since you are getting a male he will probably be 70-80 lbs (generally speaking), so a 36" crate is probably not going to last very long... a few months at most.

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
12-19-2005, 10:12 PM
get the Really big crates with the divider in the middle, as he gets bigger you give more space. we ordered from petsmart.com a long while ago and it was free shipping i think. :)