PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* I can dream, can't I?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I have found the camera of my dreaaaaaams. *sigh* Too bad it's $450. :(

It's so hard when everyone in my family compliments me and my pictures, tell me I need to take a photography class, get some published. I need a better camera for that; one that doesn't suck up my batteries and only works for an hour, one that has a better zoom and a better macro. I just can't afford it, and neither can my family. I'd have to save for months, I've calculated. :(

Oh well. Maybe I'll get some gift cards over Christmas and won't have to save as much.

Here's my baby, the Kodak P850.

(No, I won't buy it from eBay, I was just browsing!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/KODAK-EASYSHARE-P850-DIGITAL-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ7573210849QQcategoryZ114272QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

slleipnir
12-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Looks like a nice camera :) Can you save up and buy it??

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-15-2005, 09:41 PM
The Canon Powershot a620 is a good camera too, same price. I think I like this one's review better, actually.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a620-review/index.shtml

slleipnir
12-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I use to own a kodak...and now own 2 canons...I'd personally stick to the canon :D Goodluck with it :D

btw...I would totalllyyy buy that camera :D *trades her A95 for it*

Suki Wingy
12-15-2005, 10:02 PM
I like the cannon but it only has 4Xzoom! :eek: I saved forever to get my Kodak DX6490 (4mpx, 10X zoom) and that was $400 1.5 years ago, you can get the newer one with 5mpx and 12Xzoom for closer to $300 now.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Is the one you have, good, Suki?

cloverfdx
12-16-2005, 06:35 AM
Megan have you checked out dpreview.com it is a great site and has alot of reviews and test photos from pretty much every camera you can think of.

I am not sure how much this camera would be in U.S $$s but you may want to check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ5 ;).

Goodluck with saving up and looking at camera's.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-16-2005, 08:05 AM
I've looked at all of the cameras you have suggested, and I think I'm going with the Canon Powershot A620. I've liked it's review and price best, and I hope as I start saving, the price will some down a bit! Right now it's looking at $400 approx, and I will need to get a larger memory card sooner or later. :)

BC_MoM
12-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Kodak's don't have good lenses. Just letting you know if you're interested in getting into photography.

Suki Wingy
12-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Mine's ok.

Iilo
12-16-2005, 06:27 PM
if you're looking into macro photography getting a camera with a lense that small isn't too bright.

i purchased an a95 less than a year ago and i'm already looking into upgrading straight to a digital slr because of its limitations.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-16-2005, 10:37 PM
On the review website, they posted a picture they took using the macro. I though it turned out okay. A lot of my pictures don't use macro, it's just one of my favorite settings.

Kfamr
12-16-2005, 10:54 PM
I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS. It is 5MP & 12x Zoom, I adore it although it cost around $600 including a nice-sized memory card, that's something you have to keep in mind with higher-quality cameras.

Also, if you plan to get a higher quality camera I suggest investing in a battery charger/rechargable batteries if you haven't already. Two sets of rechargables is even better - you won't have the hassle of not having good batteries. It will save you LOTS of money.

I will most likely never buy any other brand of camera. Canon is the way to go.

Vette
12-17-2005, 06:07 AM
I wish you the best of luck with whatever you get :D
but if dont have a a battory rechanger,, and going to get one.
DONT leave your battories in the chrager while its in use for no more then a hour or however long your charger says it can charge them. my brother just resently got a recharger thats really neat. it charges them up in 15-20 minutes. and than fan shuts off when there done

i learned the hard way with mine..
i left my battories in the charger at all times while the chrager was going.
and the battoires lasted a long time even so.. but they could have lasted way longer then that. :o

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I actually think I like the S2 IS better. So you suggest I buy a recharger and two sets of rechargables. What size memory card is ideal?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-17-2005, 06:27 PM
A few more questions:

It takes 4 AA batteries, right? I have two rechargables and a 15-minute recharger. Those will work, won't they? That'll save a little money, lol.

Should I invest in a card reader? Any other accessories I should get?

Kfamr
12-17-2005, 07:03 PM
I actually think I like the S2 IS better. So you suggest I buy a recharger and two sets of rechargables. What size memory card is ideal?

A few more questions:

It takes 4 AA batteries, right? I have two rechargables and a 15-minute recharger. Those will work, won't they? That'll save a little money, lol.

Should I invest in a card reader? Any other accessories I should get?

Yes, the S2 IS is better - it's more professional IMO.
You will need a 4 pack of rechargables. I would never mix brands of batteries - use 4 of the same brand at once. I've been told it's not good for your camera to use different batteries at the same time.

I have a 256MB card and it works fine for me (and everyone here knows how picture crazy I am.) I think it was around $30.

There really is no use for a card reader unless something happens with the USB option on your camera. I highly suggest purchasing a nice camera case - you can store memory cards, an extra set of batteries, or whatever you want. I almost always keep and extra se of batteries with me.

The camera comes with a neckstrap & a lens cap so you won't need to purchase those.

Hope this has helped a bit.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I've read a few customer reviews and some people said they didn't like the S2 IS. They said the picture quality was poor and the macro mode was bad. They though Canon could do better. :( Do you use macro, Kay?

Kfamr
12-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Yes - I use macro quite often. I've never had a problem with my quality of photos.