PDA

View Full Version : Terror in Catnapper Castle

catnapper
12-15-2005, 06:26 PM
We've been trying to let Aladdin out to mingle with the cats to see hwo he'd do with other cats. You see, he has an adoption application out for him.... but the new family has 10 other cats plus a Greyhound, rats, lizzards, etc.

We've had some minor hissing, but its escalated to downright viscious fights. Just now he attacked Harry. Harry is missing a few clumps of fur right now. He's VERY upset and shaky, and won't let me look to see if Aladdin broke skin. Out of all my cats, Harry is the LAST cat I'd expect to be involved in a fight. I'd believe Abby and Pouncer no problem, but Harry????

Speaking of Pouncer, he's TERRIFIED of Aladdin. When he sees Aladdin walking towards him, Pouncer heads in the opposite direction as fast as he can.

Now what do I do? Put Aladdin back in the room and let him alone until he goes to the new home and let THEM deal with the fights? Or tell them that their home's not a good fit for him? Do I try to get him used to other cats? If there's hope of integrating him with other cats, I'll work with him... but if the fights are going to get worse, then I CAN NOT have my cats upset over him.

Its a shame too... he's the NICEST little boy (to humans)

catmandu
12-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Give him time!
Hes scared and he thinks that the other Cats are his enemies,as he probably had to fight for food where he came from.
I think that he may calm down eventually.
JJJ3 was a bit of a fighter when he first came here,but he has settled in very nicely!!

rosethecopycat
12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
I take it that Harry is a passive (laid back) male. An easy fight.

Is Pouncer more dominant? That's why he didn't go for him.

I would think her needs more time, but maybe this adopter won't have the patience to wait.

If the adopter won't follow strict and long integration, he will most likely be a return, and that won't help anyone, especially him.

I'd probably explain he's not ready for other cats yet, and he could very well turn out to ba an 'only'.

jenluckenbach
12-15-2005, 06:58 PM
I too would tell them that Aladdin is not ready for a house full of cats (and a houseful of cats may well not be ready for HIM!).

Then, if you continue to be his foster home, keep hime separated with supervised slow introductions like we always tell people they should do. in other words, start over. ;) He may well need more time, and then again, he might be a bully cat.

catnapper
12-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Well, I just spoke to the adopter, and she's willing to take the integration as slow as he needs. She has a HUGE home... her master bedroom is twice the size of my bedroom, plus she has a master bath attached ot it thats larger than my room. So he can live quite happily in there until he's ready to venture out.

They DO sound like a lovely home. They adopted a Greyhound, and I know the Greyhound resacues really scrutinze adopters.... and if they were accepted, then you know they are good pet parents. :)

As for Harry being laid back, yes. As for Pouncer being dominate, I don't know about being dominate. He's below Harry and Allen on the totem pole of leadership in the house. Just now, my King (Allen) hissed a HUGE warning at Aladdin. I don't think I've ever seen Allen hiss at another cat.

I think Aladdin needs to be locked in a room all alone til he gets delivered to his forever home. I'm not achieving anything by letting him roam my house.

kuhio98
12-15-2005, 08:02 PM
I think Aladdin needs to be locked in a room all alone til he gets delivered to his forever home. I'm not achieving anything by letting him roam my house.

That sounds like a good idea. Your babies deserve some peace and quiet after all they've been through this year. I'm so glad that Aladdin's new parents are willing to let him take his time getting settled in at his new place.

jenluckenbach
12-16-2005, 05:05 AM
I guess congratulations are in order. :D

moosmom
12-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Kim,

Well, it sounds like he needs to be an only cat. I think sending him to a home with 10 other cats would stress him out.

I'd put him back in the room, give him more time and try to find a home with no other cats. The last thing you need is to have him go to a new home only to be returned.

smokey the elder
12-16-2005, 07:58 AM
If the new home can keep him isolated for the extended period of time required for integration, it may work out. I've had two fosters who were supposed to be "only" cats; they, after many months, made the adjustment to the "general population".

Good luck!

rg_girlca
12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Alladin's new forever home sounds perfect Kim and I am glad to hear that they are willing to take as long as it needs to introduce him to the others.

Peersonally, I think it would be better to just keep him in the room until it is time for him to go. This way he won't be so stressed out by being introduced to your cats and then to the others. More important, is that your kitties are not stressed out by him attacking them.

barncat
12-17-2005, 09:30 AM
He may do very well in a new colony..which is what a ten cat home is. He was a stray, correct? He is used to finding his pace in the order and ,for most males, that means fighting...most fights are more noise and flying fur than serious damage. If the adoptive home has a strongly established power base, he may have fewer problems than in a one or two cat household because he will be taught by the others where he fits.

Dominance in a colony is a complex issue. While it is often males who appear aggressive, acceptance or denial to a new member often is signalled by the lead female...and the males take a cue from her. They can make alliances as Catmandu describes where a relatively non-social male will bring in a young one and "sponsor" him/her.

I've lived with and obsevered cats all my life (I'm 48 and spent much of my childhood on the back pourch and in the sheds with ferals and working barncats). Their social arrangements are usually tolerant if there is enough room for private retreat and enough food.