PDA

View Full Version : Terrible weather in Pittsburgh!!

davidpizzica
12-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Right now it's 26 degrees in Pittsburgh. Today we will be hit with every kind of precipitation known to man! Rain, freezing rain, sleet, sleet mixed with snow, finally the whole mess will change to all snow. YUCK! Good day to stay in and go on PT.

catnapper
12-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Well just keep it there! We're supposed to be getting that mess sometime after 2:00... and I am supposed to get my couch at 4:00 today... so it better hold off til AFTER my couch gets home! :p

davidpizzica
12-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Kim, I'll TRY to keep it in Pittsburgh! This is a mess we don't need!

JenBKR
12-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Yep, it's supposed to get pretty yucky...I just hope the roads don't get too bad, I really don't want to be stuck at work! :eek: I only slid a little one time coming in, it hadn't gotten bad yet. I sure am glad that I got my snow tires on last week! Although, snow tires don't do anything on ice.

moosmom
12-15-2005, 08:40 AM
We're supposed to get that crap tomorrow. YUK!!

smokey the elder
12-15-2005, 10:36 AM
We're supposed to get that tonight; I hope it waits until after the Christmas party I've been invited to!

davidpizzica
12-15-2005, 01:04 PM
UGH! Now it's freezing rain turning into snow! I'm definitely NOT driving the Colbalt in this weather.

catnapper
12-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Hey David! You didn't stop the snow! Its already snowing, and has been for an hour now!

davidpizzica
12-15-2005, 01:23 PM
OOPS!! Kim I tried, honest!

JenBKR
12-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, try harder! I have to drive home in an hour and a half, and I don't think it's going to be fun. I can hear the ice pellets hitting the window in my office *sigh*

carole
12-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Oh David that sounds awful, keep warm and cosy cuddled up with those kitties, here we are in NZ, battling with the stinky humidity, it has been so sub-tropical here of late, still it is cooler today. :)

davidpizzica
12-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Carole, can you send some of that heat up our way? JenBKR and I are having a bad ice storm right now! (JenBKR and I live only thirty miles from each other.)

Samantha Puppy
12-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, we're getting all that crap here in Maryland too. It started off as snow and now is sleet. The problem with sleet/freezing rain is that people assume the roads are just wet when they're actually icy. I left work at 1:30pm and even then, saw someone slide into an intersection near my house because it was so slippery (they weren't speeding either). Thank God no accident happened.

On a happier note, my husband was supposed to have a meeting from 4-7pm but it appears his new bosses actually have their priorities straight and not only cancelled the meeting but sent everyone home early. :) One less thing to worry about... now I can focus on how increasingly uncomfortable these dumb contractions are getting.

JenBKR
12-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Yes, Carole, we could really use some of that warm weather. David, a friend just called and said that the roads that are salted are ok, but some roads are not salted and there are quite a few accidents there. The roads look fine, that is the problem. They look a little wet, but it's actually ice. I usually take back roads home but I think I'll suffer the main road today. *sigh*

davidpizzica
12-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes, Carole, we could really use some of that warm weather. David, a friend just called and said that the roads that are salted are ok, but some roads are not salted and there are quite a few accidents there. The roads look fine, that is the problem. They look a little wet, but it's actually ice. I usually take back roads home but I think I'll suffer the main road today. *sigh*
Jen, please take it very easy going home. Even if the main roads are salted, be careful! There might be some nuts that think they can drive through anything and those are the ones to watch out for. Make it home safe.

JenBKR
12-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Jen, please take it very easy going home. Even if the main roads are salted, be careful! There might be some nuts that think they can drive through anything and those are the ones to watch out for. Make it home safe.

Oh yes, I know those nuts...Those who think that 4 wheel drive can drive 65 mph on ice :rolleyes: I'll be extra careful, although I must admit, I am a little nervous. I have no problem driving in snow, but ice makes me a little nervous...

lv4dogs
12-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Its getting really bad here in upstate NY, EVERYTHING is a sheet of ice, cars are all over the road & all over off the road. It is really bad here.
Its so bad that my dad is picking up Nanook (I have Raustyk & Kaige with me) and we are staying at his house tonight. I live almost 40 miles away from work (even longer if I were to go home today because I'd have to take the main roads) he only lives 7 miles away.
The salt trucks are driving by literally every 5-15 minutes & its not making one bit of difference.

Please don't let this be another terrible ice storm. Please.
Please let everyone make it home safe.

lv4dogs
12-15-2005, 03:55 PM
I just went out to start my car & I really ment it when I said that EVERYTHING is covered in ice. I could barely get the door open & even my tires are complete ice. EVERYTHING.

Please, everyone thats getting this please be VERY CAREFUL!

davidpizzica
12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Please, ANYONE in this ice storm BE VERY CAREFUL on the roads. And if possible, don't travel at all unless you absolutely have to!!

chocolatepuppy
12-15-2005, 05:47 PM
We've had the same here all day. Snow, rain, sleet! Thank goodness up until now, the roads aren't that bad, yet. Ice is so scarey. :(

carole
12-15-2005, 08:00 PM
David i will do my very best, I will huff and I will puff and blow some of that humidity :D your way lol.

davidpizzica
12-15-2005, 08:15 PM
David i will do my very best, I will huff and I will puff and blow some of that humidity :D your way lol.
I appreciiate it, Sis! The roads around here are snow covered with a layer of ice underneath. Perfect white Christmas weather!

carole
12-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Aww now you are making me jealous Bro, I would love to experience a white xmas, a real novelty that would be, things must look so pretty all lighted up against the white snow, of course there is the bad side to it all like you described, but it seems so romantic to me. LOL :D

G535
12-16-2005, 01:16 AM
I'll swap you some of our heat too for some snow. At least we don't get much of the high humidity where I live. :)

smokey the elder
12-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Well, it was clear when I left for the party. By 9 PM it had already started to rain and freeze grr. I crawled home, and must have had to pull over 10 times for @#%^& dy/dx tailgaters in SUVs!

JenBKR
12-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Actually, the roads weren't too bad going home yesterday. They weren't bad at all this morning - lots of salt. Whew! Hopefully they will stay that way! Good luck and prayers to all in bad weather!

davidpizzica
12-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Actually, the roads weren't too bad going home yesterday. They weren't bad at all this morning - lots of salt. Whew! Hopefully they will stay that way! Good luck and prayers to all in bad weather!
Jen, I worried about you driving in all of that junk yesterday, but I guess that Penndot did their job on the roads. I'm glad you're safe.

JenBKR
12-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Jen, I worried about you driving in all of that junk yesterday, but I guess that Penndot did their job on the roads. I'm glad you're safe.

Aww David, you are too sweet...yes, Penndot actually did work yesterday! I was shocked, I didn't think that was possible :p

JenBKR
12-16-2005, 04:03 PM
*sigh* again! I just looked outside and it's a whiteout! I'm just now leaving work...at least it's just snow, not an ice storm. Have a good weekend everyone and be careful!

king2005
12-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Yesterday we got about 4-5 inches of snow. Kingston got 15 inches of snow & Montreal got 20 inches of snow :D

I miss getting 20 inches of snow :( the stuff here keeps melting on me.