PDA

View Full Version : Dog saved by mouth-to-snout resuscitation

.sarah
12-15-2005, 12:34 AM
I thought this was really sweet. What a great firefighter!

Dog gets 'mouth-to-snout' resuscitation
SALEM, Mass. (AP) -- A firefighter stretched the bounds of duty by administering mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to save a dog caught in a fire. Pixie, a 12-pound terrier crossbreed, was not breathing Tuesday when firefighters pulled her from a Salem home filled with smoke and flames.

Pixie was "seizing," with her back arched and mouth wide open. Firefighter Richard LeBlanc put his mouth on the dog's mouth in attempt to breath for the dog and revive it. After another firefighter gave Pixie oxygen, the dog was taken to a local veterinary clinic for emergency treatment.

The dog, owned by Phil and Kathy Kindler, survived.

"She looks good, and she's breathing comfortably," veterinarian Dr. Elizabeth Bradt told The Salem News.

No one was injured in the fire, which officials believe may have been started by faulty wiring.

Capt. Alan Dionne said the firefighters' work demonstrates an important ethical guideline in the profession.

"Save lives first and property second," he said. "It's always life first. And that means every life."

Source (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MOUTH_TO_SNOUT?SITE=FLPEJ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

senorita02
12-15-2005, 07:58 AM
omg what an amazing story,,, so when u perform this on a dog do u put your mouth around their nose with there mouth shut? Or there actual mouth? I would like to know in case of an emergency.

elizabethann
12-15-2005, 09:34 AM
I saw the video on a Boston news station.

Then I watched a NH news station and they showed a family who bought their local fire department oxygen masks for animals. There was a big dog one, a small dog one and a kitty one. I wonder how much they cost?

.sarah
12-15-2005, 06:59 PM
so when u perform this on a dog do u put your mouth around their nose with there mouth shut?
I believe so.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-15-2005, 07:53 PM
That's neat. It's nice to hear that everyone got out safely! I'm glad the firefighter was able to think quickly and save the dog, too.

K9karen
12-16-2005, 12:34 AM
I saw it tonight on TV too. The firefighter was deemed a hero! God Bless him. From what I've read, you blow into their nose while the mouth is shut. Firefighters ROCK!

Ree'sKujo
12-18-2005, 10:06 PM
I saw that story to.It brought a tear to my eye it was so sweet.What a great firefighter and fire dept.They saved the family and the pet.Awesome job and I agree firefighters do rock.

jackie
12-18-2005, 10:28 PM
I am amazed, what a fantastic story!