PDA

View Full Version : Investing advice?

RICHARD
12-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Life is a strange place.

I have a dear friend that dropped off the planet in July.

I have know her for years and she's a great gal.

I hadn't heard from her for a while but still could see that she was still on the company mail list....hmmmmmmm, She's a football, race and Basketball fan so our conversations aren't always serious, but at the beginning of each season we would trade insults, laugh about the games, races and athletes.

Yesterday I was going thru some paperwork and saw a Nancy T that had a pacemaker put in in the Operating Room. My heart dropped, no pun intended....I checked her Email address and found out that the middle initial was different....whew!

Today I got a short note, via email, saying "I need you, are you there?"

It was sent an hour earlier so I got on the horn and called her. As soon as I finished dialing the number my phone rang...... :mad:

She picked up the phone and said hello, I said hi and she was speechless..

She mumbled something and told me that she was on the phone calling me!
She was on the other line....I told her that she could have waited until she I answered the phone :eek: :confused:

Poor gal had been thru hell.

She fell broke her femur in six places, she fell walking her dog. She was off work and her husband was carefully checking up on her mail, computer and phone calls while she was recovering......

She came back to work last month and the day before she came back her husband told her he wanted a divorce......she moved out and her dad died two weeks ago...her dog was taken by her son and then attacked his Jack Russell.........she's back at work and needed someone to talk to....

I felt really bad because when she dropped off the earth, I knew she was OK but knew that I really didn't have a way to get a hold of her.

-----------------------

This thread had no real point but I just wanted to remind all of you to make that phone call to someone you think about, know or wonder what they are up to.

As much as I hate technology, Text or sent them an Email... ;)

--------------------------

Ben Stein wrote a wonderful article once about a phone call being "An Investment of Love".

It's yellow and has hung on my wall for 5+ years....and I read it when there is no one in the office...

LES is something I have to battle often. ;)

-------------------------------

As I grew up it was a dime to "phone a friend"-

It's 50 cents these days. But I can assure you it's worth more that two quarters- it truly is a priceless investment. :)

Corinna
12-13-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm glad she had you to talk to , you seem like a good freind to have. Prayers for her to get her life going great.

slick
12-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Richard, this is so true. In as much as I love hearing from everyone via email, I do make sure that at least every couple of months, I speak to them on the phone. Text is OK, but a smile in a "Hi Slick!" does me wonders. Selfish??? Maybe but I hope that my conversation makes them feel just as good.

She certainly has a good friend in you Richard. I should know. ;)

moosmom
12-14-2005, 08:41 AM
RICHARD,

That reminds me of the time I was working at a law firm in Hartford. I had always wondered what happened to my very best childhood friend. When I got married, she and her husband hung out with me and mine. We lost touch for about 12 years. She had kids, I had a kid. I looked her up and left a message on her answering machine. I got a call from her ex-husband's new wife saying Sue and her husband had been divorced for a while, and she gave me Sue's phone number.

Well, it turns out that after my husband and I divorced, HER husband forbid her to associate with me because he thought I was a bad influence. It wasn't until I spoke with her that I found out my ex went over to their house crying the blues and airing OUR dirty laundry (keep in mind he met these two people through ME!! :mad: )

I was furious!! This is a friend I've known for over 30 years!!! But, my motto is...

Husbands come and go, but best friends are forever!!!

Susie and I have remained the BEST of friends since our reunion some 12 years ago!! She's the sister I never had!

JenBKR
12-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the reminder - I have a hard time making a phone call when life gets busy. I have a friend I haven't talked to in a long time that I know I need to call...

poofy
12-14-2005, 09:23 AM
That is so true, and I think I need to call a few people.. :rolleyes: slacked off and shouldnt have..I sure hope your friend is doing ok..my heart goes out to her.. :(

cyber-sibes
12-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Yes, a good reminder. A month ago I got a nice long e-mail from my cousin, who has MS and lives 800 miles away. Hadn't heard from her forever. Was out of town at the time so I e-mailed back & said I'd e-mail again when I got home. Next thing I knew, another cousin e-mailed and said she passed away in her sleep - mind you, she was my age, 52! :eek: Do I regret not having called her? A little, but I was sooo glad I had written back to her, told her I was glad to hear from her and I loved her.
The thing I love most about e-mail is that it only takes a minute and has kept me in touch with many friends I might otherwise loose track of...a couple friends "re-located" us thru e-mail that we hadn't heard from for years.
Sounds like you are a good friend to your good friend!

RICHARD
12-14-2005, 11:42 AM
She certainly has a good friend in you Richard. I should know. ;)

Well, a bad friend wouldn't make you a slushie.

And a bad friend wouldn't have any problem telling him that he was "#$@#ing annoying" and finish the line with "but I love you anyway".... :p

------------------

MAKE THOSE CALLS!!!!

slick
12-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Well, a bad friend wouldn't make you a slushie.
And a bad friend wouldn't have any problem telling him that he was "#$@#ing annoying" and finish the line with "but I love you anyway".... :p

LAMO!!!! :D :D :p Thanks for the much-needed chuckle Richard. Now what is your phone number again??? 1-800-SLUSHIE!