PDA

View Full Version : Founder day!

Glacier
12-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Today is two years since Founder joined our family. In early November I had a huge debate over Founder or Pacer. At the time, Pacer won as he needed out of the shelter more desperately. They were both long term shelter residents--well over a year each. Pacer was about to be deemed unadoptable due to his overwhelming fear of everything. (not so much of an issue anymore). Founder was timid, but only with sudden movements & strangers. However, endless months of confinement were starting to take their toll on him psychologically. He began to refuse to come back in from the play yard. He would snap and growl when the staff finally cornered him and made him come inside. Not exactly helpful for his adoption options!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/cookie.jpg
At the time Stuart and I were both on the shelter's board of directors. He was at the shelter one Sunday afternoon for a fundraiser. When he got home that evening, a rather scared dog followed him out of the truck, tail down, head hung low, not making a sound. I was cleaning one of the dog runs. Stuart walked over and said "where do you want this dog?" His explaination for bringing him home was "well, you already have all his buddies here." Founder's best friends in the shelter were Chase, Raven and Pacer--all part of my pack now! He lit up when he saw his old friends. No reintroductions were neccessary! At the time Founder and Chase were fosters. I adopted them both a few days after Hoodoo's death as a tribute to him.
Founder is no longer timid of anything. He's 80 pounds of long, leggy lovin'!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/howl.jpg
He's also one of the noisest dogs in the yard. He has an amazing vocabularly.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/founder_bed.jpg
He's recently decided that he likes being in the house and often sleeps inside now. For a long time, Founder wouldn't even come through the door. No way was he getting trapped inside again. There have been no further incidents of snapping or growling at humans since he was released from the shelter.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/happy_found.jpg
He's learning to be a lead dog, although a command leader he is not! He's a trail dog and loves to run the same way he went last time! Paxil and I are both working on that with him! Sometimes it's more fun to take a new path, but Founder disagrees!

Happy Anniversary, my big goofball!

Corinna
12-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Oh Founder you big goofy guy .I remember when you were brought home for Mommy. Dads a big softy. Happy gottcha day you beautiful boy.

buttercup132
12-13-2005, 07:17 PM
wow what a great story! he very handsom happy adopting day

Alysser
12-13-2005, 07:29 PM
That story is so sweet! I am sure he is VERY happy with you in his new home. I have two question. You have a sled dog team? How many dogs do you have?

finn's mom
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog. You know, I don't post as much in Pet Talk as I have in the past...but, I'm telling you. I never pass a chance to read a thread you've started. It's always something good and different and interesting, and, I absolutely love your entire family! Founder's a beautiful dog, and, I know he thanks you for bringing him home to his buddies...and, just as a side note, you and Stuart really (to me, and, from what I've seen in here) embody the whole thing about love being one soul residing in two bodies. :) I hope that's not an inappropriate thing to say.

anna_66
12-13-2005, 08:08 PM
I just loved reading your storys about your dogs and how they came to be with you:)

Founder, I remeber your mommy bringing you home....boy you've come a long way baby!

Hope you had a wonderful day today:D

Cinder & Smoke
12-13-2005, 08:24 PM
:)

Happie Gotcha Day, Founder!!

:D

chocolatepuppy
12-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Founder! :D

Queen of Poop
12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Ah yes. Another wonderful dog story from Glacier. Just what one needs before going to bed. I hope to dream about Founder this evening as I'm heading off to beddybye time. Thank you for sharing. Happy Gotcha Day Founder - you lucky boy!!! :D

Ginger's Mom
12-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Happy Gotcha Day, Founder!!! I think the acting out at the shelter was all part of your plan to become one of Glacier's family. Good going big guy. :)

luvofallhorses
12-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Happy anniversary, handsome! :)

Glacier
12-13-2005, 10:15 PM
You have a sled dog team? How many dogs do you have?

Yes, my dogs are working sled dogs. Most of them anyway. I have 23 total. 16 of those are sled dogs on top of being spoiled pets. The other 7 are either retired from pulling due to age or a health issue or they just don't want to pull.

Glacier
12-13-2005, 10:16 PM
as a side note, you and Stuart really (to me, and, from what I've seen in here) embody the whole thing about love being one soul residing in two bodies. :) I hope that's not an inappropriate thing to say.

That's quite a compliment. Thank you! :)

CagneyDog
12-13-2005, 10:30 PM
What a sweet story.

Happy Gotcha day Founder!

finn's mom
12-13-2005, 10:31 PM
That's quite a compliment. Thank you! :)

You're welcome! :)

K9karen
12-14-2005, 01:01 AM
I so greatly admire you! What a wonderful job you're both doing with your amazing dogs. I always say that love goes a long way! I think I'd be snippy and petrified being in jail too. What a wonderful life Founder has now! I also love your amazing stories! Being a city slicker, I'm in awe of your lifestyle and how you handle all those dogs. You're really a very special lady!

tz1
12-14-2005, 01:59 AM
That's amazing...founder's transformation from the shelter to your home ! I wonder what caused such a change in his temprament

cloverfdx
12-14-2005, 02:10 AM
*Tears* Happy gotcha day Founder you handsome sweet boy. Glacier yourself and Stuart are amazing for taking on all of these lost souls.

To see Founder looking so well and happy is wonderful.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-14-2005, 07:07 AM
What a good story- with a happy ending, the best kind. I'm glad Founder is happy and well now. :)

gemini9961
12-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Happy Gotcha Day Founder!!!

Wooo wooo to you. :D

pitc9
12-14-2005, 07:56 AM
*tears*Glacier, I know several of us have said this before... but you REALLY need to write a book!! Even just by keeping a daily journal and publishing that!!!
I've said it before...I've always had a soft spot for Founder.... his sweet sweet face...I find that I can't wipe the smile off my face after seeing him!
Happy Gotcha Day Founder!!
Woooowoooooooo to you!

cyber-sibes
12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Happy Founder day, gotcha -- I mean, happy Gotcha day, Founder!
I love that picture of him woo-woooing on top of his house, what a joyful sound that must be! Glacier, I'm so glad you have 23 dogs because that means we get to hear the stories of these special pups 23 times a year! (plus all the good in-between stuff! ;) )

Cookiebaker
12-14-2005, 09:54 AM
What a great story, and congratulations on adopting such a great, expressive dog! And when he howls he looks so majestic!! :D

mruffruff
12-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Finn's Mom said it better than I could. I'd like to double it!

sasvermont
12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Woooooooooo Wooooooooooo Founder! I love all of your photos!

:cool:

RobiLee
12-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Happy Gotcha Day, Founder!!! Lots of hugs to you, sweetie. Those are some great pics of you.

I always love hearing about your dogs, Glacier. Thanks for making us feel like we are a part of it.

elizabethann
12-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Happy anniversary, handsome! :)

Ditto....cutie pie!

lvpets2002
12-14-2005, 12:53 PM
;) Woo Hoo Founder & I would be howling to if I got a good home as yours.. Your such a pretty baby..

Glacier
12-14-2005, 07:34 PM
That's amazing...founder's transformation from the shelter to your home ! I wonder what caused such a change in his temprament

This is his real temperment. Founder's aggression issues in the shelter were strictly a result of being there for 18 months. He was kennel crazy. Most of my dogs were long term shelter residents. Some of them are permanently damaged by that experience and will never be well-adjusted dogs. Some like Founder appear to have made a pretty much full recovery. The shelter they come from is a very good no-kill facility, but extended periods of confinement will eventually have a negative effect on any animal.