PDA

View Full Version : Sammy hung himself!!

dab_20
12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
This morning Sammy started crying about 10 minutes before 7:00 (like always) and i always sleep until 7. well this morning i hear him jumping all over and yelping with a breathy faint voice so my mom got up and ran down the stairs. well what she found was the hooks on the top of his kennel got caught on his collar and he was hanging by his collar!! :eek: :( my mom had to lift him up to get him off he seemed fine afterwards. but i mean REALLY, they should make kennels safe. poor sam. we have to keep the top on because he is able to jump out now. he can even open the door from the inside of the kennel. i felt bad for him though.

k9krazee
12-13-2005, 04:50 PM
On no!! That must've been scary!! I never keep the Hoodlum's collars on when they are in the house for fear that something like that would happen. I'm glad hes okay though!

dab_20
12-13-2005, 04:52 PM
I think I will take sam's collar off when he goes to bed. I am able to watch him when he's out of the kennel.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Geez, how scary!! I'm glad that Sammy is okay. When I read the title of the thread my heart leap out of my chest!

.sarah
12-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Oh my gosh how horrible! That must have been so scary. I'm glad he's okay now!

Alysser
12-13-2005, 05:19 PM
WOAH! I was really scared at the title. I thought he had died. What would have happened if you weren't awoken is very scary to think of! I am so glad Sammy is okay now! :eek:

elizabethann
12-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Good thing y'all heard him. It's a good idea to always take your dogs collar off if you're going to crate them. If heard of horror stories like yours that had very unhappy endings.

Hope Sammy is doing okay.

LuvGold00
12-13-2005, 06:17 PM
I think I will take sam's collar off when he goes to bed. I am able to watch him when he's out of the kennel.

That's a good idea, and the reason why none of my dogs wear collars. Glad he's ok!

cyber-sibes
12-13-2005, 06:18 PM
poor baby! good thing you heard him, that could have been tragic. Just for people's information, this company is where we bought our kennel fencing and its designed so there are NO loose wire ends so that your dog CAN'T get caught like this. Also, the bars can be rolled to tighten the wire. We love ours! http://www.petproproducts.com/

Alysser
12-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow! Those look like really good pens. Are they expensive?

IRescue452
12-13-2005, 07:29 PM
He must have been jumping quite a bit to find himself hung. I'm glad you guys woke up and got to him. I sometimes take Autumn's off before bed.

Toby's my baby
12-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Poor Sammy!! I am glad he is O.K. now!! It is a good idea to take his collar off before putting him in his kennel.

We also had a problem with a kennel when Maggie was a puppy. We had a crate something like this: DOG CRATE (http://www.trenigens.com.au/shop/html/images/crate.jpg) and Maggie wanted out so she was trying to chew her way out. Well, she got her lower jaw stuck inbetween the vertical bars, and couldnt get it out :eek: let me tell you, it was quiet a scare trying to get her out!! :o

cyber-sibes
12-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Wow! Those look like really good pens. Are they expensive?
Scroll down to "click here for more info and prices". I'm not sure what other kennels cost. We buy 6' high panels and run it between several outbuildings to enclose a really large space. We got the first panels when we were renting a house without a fenced yard, and it's really easy to move, so we took it with us. We'll be getting a few more panels this spring when we add onto the kennel again. We've been using it for three years and it's holding up well. Again, no chance of dogs getting hung up!

vinjashira
12-14-2005, 02:52 AM
that must have been really scarry :eek:

taking the collar off when the dog is in the house is a good idea, that's what I do with my dog as well, but remember to have him chipped.

Sampson-my guardian angel
12-14-2005, 05:12 AM
I flipped out when i saw the title. i thought he died. i am VERY happy he didn't die. that wouldn't be good at all. i'm glad that sammy is okay. hopefully it won't happen again.

dab_20
12-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Those look like nice kennels. We had one big outside kennel like that when missy was a part time outside dog. We still have it, now that we moved in town and have a fenced in yard we never use it. But I took Sam's collar off last night. We keep it on during the day because Sammy isn't chipped.

Maybe I should change the title, so no one has a heart attack. lol

dab_20
12-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Dang it.... I forgot how to change titles.

tatsxxx11
12-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Scared the heck out of me, too!!!:eek: :( :eek: So glad to hear he's OK!!! Yes, I too learned from others less fortunate, never to leave a dog crated with her/his collar on. And a good friend of mine's dog was hung and died, gettng caught up on a tie out when left out unattended. Amazing what can happen:( Thank goodness Sammy is ok!!!:)

Vette
12-14-2005, 06:09 PM
:eek:

glad hes okay!

cases like these makes me glad i never have a collar on my dog.

dab_20
12-14-2005, 07:36 PM
That's so sad. :( Sammy and Molli have to stay in their kennel every other weekend for 15 hours because my mom works and I go to my dad's. So we will just leave the collar off this weekend.

poofy
12-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Poor Sammy what a scare he had, so glad hes ok..

lv4dogs
12-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Oh my how scary that must of been. I'm glad he's ok.

Thats one of the many reason why my pups don't wear collars. Nanook once got his tags & collar stuck in the heater vents and couldn't free himself. Thank god I was there and the heat was not on. Ever since my pups do not wear their collars indoors unless I am right there to supervise them. If I leave or go to sleep they are naked.