PDA

View Full Version : Web Cam

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-13-2005, 03:28 PM
I got a web cam from a gift card I got last year for Christmas. I can get it to show me live video on my computer with the camera plugged in and aimed at whatever, but how do I view the live action from another computer - say in a different room, or at work? I don't want to "take" a video and then watch it, I want to watch live action. Then I could - say - aim the camera on Terry and I could watch him work while I was at work (woo hoo, how exciting! :rolleyes: ). ;)

I would really rather not get involved with Yahoo messenger, AIM or any of those type of things. The guy at Circuit City said I could do it that way, but is there some other way to watch? I remember a PT'er that hasn't been on in ages used to set one up so we could watch her cats. We went to a certain website and the live action was there. Any ideas on how to do that?

The reason I ask, and the reason I got this was so we could set it up at next year's California BBQ so people who couldn't make it could get an idea of what it's like to be there. Of course, there would be non-camera time too, because usually the rule is what happens at the BBQ stays at the BBQ. ;) :D

poofy
12-13-2005, 04:08 PM
the only way I know to do it is thru yahoo..even if there isnt a camer on the other end you can see the one its comeing thru, im sure there is a better way.. ;) and I would like to know to.. :)

Jessika
12-13-2005, 04:26 PM
If you have your own webspace, you would have to FTP the video or even stream the video to your webspace, and then you could view the video on any computer, any browser, worldwide.

The software that came with your camera should have that option.. if not look into a program such as conquercam.com

slick
12-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Of course, there would be non-camera time too, because usually the rule is what happens at the BBQ stays at the BBQ.
You better believe there will be!!!! ;) Only a select few will see what I look like fresh out of bed in the morning.... :eek: :D

Cinder & Smoke
12-13-2005, 05:40 PM
... but how do I view the live action from another computer ...?

Sadly, it's not the easiest thing to do. :(

There are a lot of "techie" web site and Bulletin Boards that often talk
about Web Cams - but I've never found one that really goes into deail.

If you Google.com for info - spell it both "Web Cam" and "Webcam" - "results vary". :p

Here's one I found that isn't great for ANSWERING questions -
but he does point out many of the Problems setting up a Web Cam.
http://cowboyfrank.net/webcams/HowTo.htm

We're gonna *LIKE* watching PeaNutter and CJ!

:D