PDA

View Full Version : Speckles Needs Prayers!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/p50cb6ba367e31bc47e7e18dcca107c9a/f6bf4552.jpg

Slick's 18 1/2 year old Speckles needs prayers. Slick says she has seen a visible decline in her in the past few weeks with a diminishing appetite. Last night she didn't want to eat at all, so Slick is worried sick about her. They have an appt at the white coats this afternnon at 5:00 pm.

So please keep Speckles and Slick in your thoughts and prayers.

Lobodeb
12-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Prayers on the wasy for you sweet, Speckles!

poofy
12-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Bless her heart..my heart goes out to them.. :(

kuhio98
12-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Many prayers are being said for Speckles and for slick. Please keep us posted. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gif

gini
12-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Oh, my dear friend Slick! You immediately have my prayers for Speckles and for you too.

crazy_caique
12-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Prayers on the way for speckles and slcik

Corinna
12-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Oh Slick , You know prayers are flying away from me to you and Speckles.
HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG

lizbud
12-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Prayers on the way for dear Speckles & for Slick too.

slick
12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
My dear friend, Debbie. Is there no stopping you? ;) I only emailed Debbie on this because she has been through this with Tubby. I was not going to start a thread at all until I know more.

I already know that her kidneys are failing and she has been getting skinner. It could also be her teeth as I know they are not in good shape. I am well aware that teeth problems can lead to further problems with internal organs so I'm unsure of what to do. She's drinking lots and lots of water and her pee is good but poop is not so I've been giving her a stool softener twice a day for the past week but it has not helped. This morning, she did eat about 1/2 tsp of wet food then drank some more water and is now sleeping.

She will be 19 in April, 2006. If she needs tooth extractions, is it safe for this old of a kitty to be put under? I guess we'll have to wait to see the blood test results first.

I know that I'm not one of the most popular ones on board....please know that I do appreciate all of your support.

Killearn Kitties
12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Slick and Speckles can count on prayers from all over the world! Please, please be well sweetheart.

Randi
12-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Oh Slick, I'm so sorry to hear Speckles has lost her appetite. :( I know you have been worried about her for while, but I really hope she will pull though this, and get her appetite back.

I'm sending lots of positive thoughts to sweet Speckles and to you, my friend.

(((((((hugs)))))))

moosmom
12-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Thoughts and prayers coming from chilly New England. What a sweet little girl she is!!

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Oh Speckles! Oh Slick! Be well little girl! Edwina has jumped on my desk to send her hopes and positive thoughts to you as well.....

Felix
12-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Thoughts and prayers are on the way

furrykidsmother
12-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Good thoughts, well wishes and prayers to both of you!

krazyaboutkatz
12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Poor Speckles. :( I hope it's nothing serious and that she'll be okay. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care Slick.

kimlovescats
12-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Praying for you, Slick and your dear Speckles.

(((hugs)))
Kim

Logan
12-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Good grief, Slick, I think you are definitely one of the more popular ones on the board!!!!!

I have positive thoughts and prayers flowing for Speckles. The vet might pull a miracle yet, so hang in there!!!!

Much love,
Logan, Mimi, and Buttercup

lbaker
12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh Slick, I knew you were concerned (aren't we always concerned when our loved ones start to slow down as they grow older) - but sweetheart, I didn't know dear Spleckles had declined this way :( I think I may think twice about travelling for awhile. Too much happens to those I love - skin and fur alike - and I never know until so much later. I feel like I'm not where I should be when someone needs a hug or a smile or just a soft touch. Feel my hug, see my smile and feel a soft touch from me Slick. You know how to find me.

AbbyMom
12-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Prayers and good thoughts on the way for Speckles.

Nomilynn
12-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Well you are one of the most popular in my books and you will most certainly be in my prayers!

*HUGS*

Poo
12-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Prayers on the way to Speckles and (((((hugs))))) to you Slick.
Fingers and paws crossed here for you.

Nicki x

AlleyCat
12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Prayers for you, Slick, and Speckles! Having had cats not feeling well due to declining kidney function, I can certainly relate to how you're feeling. I sincerely hope your vet visit this afternoon brings good news and that Speckles will still be with you for a while yet!

catnapper
12-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Prayers flying her way. We'll jkeep all our paws and fingers crossed that the white coats has positive things to say.

Cinder & Smoke
12-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi God ~

Purrayer Kat Boots here, wiffa Mutts helpin ...

God, kan You hop onna Silver Klowd Express an ride down here ta
meet Speckles atta White Coat's Place an Help wiffa check-up?

She's feelin kinda *punkie* an duzint wanna eat ... an You know us Katz -
we DO like ta EAT!
Paleeze Help ta getz her Feelin Better.

Oh ~ anna Big {{{God'sHUG}}} fur Momma Slick wuld be reel Nice, too.

Thanks God!!

/s/ the Purrayin FurKids

catmandu
12-13-2005, 02:19 PM
I am with Logan ,you Max And Spreckles are very popular here.
I am sorry to hera that Spreckles is ill,and I hope that the White Coats can help,as they did with Moose who looks a lot better.
Speckles we are praying for You,and we all want you to be a Healthy Happy Cat Companion.

jenluckenbach
12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Prayers for Speckles and {{{{{HUGS}}}}} for you, Slick.

You are tops in my book. :)

Keep us updated.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Well you are one of the most popular in my books and you will most certainly be in my prayers!

*HUGS*
I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Slick, my friend, you and sweet Speckles are both in my prayers.
The 4 cat kids have their paws together too!

{{{tons of HUGS to you both}}}

Uabassoon
12-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Slick I'm sending you and Speckles lots of prayers.

koxka
12-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Sending positive thoughts to your way and wishing Speckles a confortable, pain free live as long as possible.

Hugs to you both,

Anna

slick
12-13-2005, 08:05 PM
My regular vet is out of town on a seminar for a week so I saw the assistant. I do not know him as well as Dr. Singh however he is just as compassionate and I do trust him.

Speckles has lost 1/2 lb in the last 6 months and has to stay at the whitecoats overnight. It was such a sad thing to have to put her in a cage all by herself and when I left the room she meowed. That did me in. :( :( I was, and still am a blubbering idot. It's soooo hard to leave them.

So she does have a bit of an infection in her mouth and she is dehydrated. They will do a full blood panel as well as take a urine sample and together they will tell the health of the kidneys. As well, I have asked them to do an x-ray to see if she is plugged up or if there is anything such as a mass that is stopping her from having a good BM (not referring to a Bloody Mary here..). If the x-ray shows something nasty, then the next step is an ultrasound and I've requested that it be done at the Animal Critical Care Unit which is where our dear friend Naomi's Bassett had her sir jury. If the x-ray shows that she's plugged then she gets a kitty enema.

If the blood work shows that her kidneys are OK, or have not gotten worse, then she will be sent home tomorrow with antibiotics. If her kidneys are critical, then she will stay for another day or two to get them flushed out with fluids. Then I will have to learn how to give Sub-Q fluids at home.

With everything combined (excluding the ultrasound of course) the bill will come to about $500. Fortunately, I can pay that off in 3 payments. I really love my vet.

So tonight I only have one kitty to feed. Tonight I will only have one kitty on the bed with me and tomorrow morning, only one kitty will be hungry for breakfast. This is just so hard. :(

Thank you to everyone who replied and for your kind comments. I will respond to emails tonight.

kimlovescats
12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Praying for good test results! (((hugs))) ;)

Cinder & Smoke
12-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi God ~

You'll be *droppin by* ta keep Speckles comany tanite, won't You?

Yeah ... we thunk You would!

Thanks God!

/s/ the Purrayin FurKids

momcat
12-13-2005, 08:26 PM
... and it's prayers that she'll get! Prayers and hugs for you too, Slick. Please let us know how the tests come out and what your whitecoat has to say?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Oh Slick, I'm so sorry you had to leave her. I know the meow would have done me in too. :(

Not that infections are good, but hopefully that's all it is. If she's not eating much because her mouth hurts, there can't be much there to come out, so hopefully that's what's wrong in that department. Depending on what the bloodwork and urine sample tell, this doesn't sound like too bad of a report...considering I was expecting the worse (sometimes Terry's worry wartness rubs off on me).

Sub-q fluids are a piece of cake. I am one of the least medically inclined people in the world, and if I can do it, I'm sure you can do it. The only problem I had with Tubby was once he started feeling better, he didn't want to sit still long enough.

I know you will be spoiling Max more than usual tonight, and don't feel bad about doing it. You need him right now, and he will wonder where Speckles is too, so there's a good chance he'll need you more than usual tonight too.

I know it's useless to say don't worry and everything will be all right because I know exactly what you're going through, and you're going to worry yourself sick until she's home again. It's just a meowmy's way. It never ceases to amaze me how these little creatures wrap themselves so thoroughly around our hearts.

Big {{{hugs}}} to you to help you make it through the night. And many many good thoughts and prayers going out for both of you.

Nomilynn
12-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Slick,

I can help you with the sub-q fluids if you like.. it's actually very easy and can really help them.

I will wait anxiously to hear back.. I work tomorrow until 9pm but I will come check as soon as I get home!

wolf_Q
12-13-2005, 11:58 PM
I hope Speckles will be feeling better soon and it's nothing too serious!

krazyaboutkatz
12-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Slick, I'm sorry that you had to leave Speckles overnight. :( I know how hard this is but at least you have Max to love and cuddle with you. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both you and Speckles. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-14-2005, 01:40 AM
WE will be praying for you, dear Speckles, AND for your meowmy!!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/Maya.JPG http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/inka.JPG http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/zazou32.jpg

jenluckenbach
12-14-2005, 05:20 AM
Still praying for Speckles.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Any uppydates on how both of you survived the night?

gini
12-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Dear Slick, prayers and more prayers for Speckles.

xxoo Gini

emily_the_spoiled
12-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Dear Slick,

I know how worried you must be about Speckles. Everytime Miss Bear doesn't eat (she is 14 yo) or does something out of character I get that same feeling in the pit of my stomach.

A prayer goes out for you and Speckles (and Max). But also a very big HUG from the myself and the furry gang.

Cheryl (me)
Miss, Bear, Emily, Tanner, Charlie, Ptolemy, and Newton (the furry gang)

momoffuzzyfaces
12-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Slick, my friend, prayers continuing here for you both!
(((HUGS)))

slick
12-14-2005, 02:53 PM
I just spoke with the vet. Her kidneys are very bad so she has to stay there until Friday. Her kidneys will be flushed out for the next two days and on Friday morning another blood panel will be taken. If the numbers are better, then she can come home and I will have to give her sub-q fluids. If the numbers have not improved then...and in his words....the prognosis is not good and she can go home and you can make her as comfortable as possible. Oh yes, and the x-ray shows some kidney stones but he say that the flushing should take car of that. She is also on antibiotics for the mouth infection. He gave her an appetite stimulant and she did eat something this morning so that's good.

The bottom line will be about $900 now but I will find a way to come up with the money even if I have to eat Mac and Cheeze for next few months. She is worth it and I'm not ready to lose her yet. I'm going up tomorrow to make a payment and to take her some of her favourite Fancy Feast food.

As for Max, well he really doesn't care. He never liked her anyway and he's been velcro kitty....only because he's happy to be in a one cat home for a while. :(

My heart is breaking.....and my tears won't stop.. :( :(

orangemm
12-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Hugs, prayers, good thoughts and everything else I can muster up will be going your way. Praying that sweet Speckles overcomes this hurdle.

Come on, Speckles, we're rooting for you!

(((((hugs)))))

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh Slick. :(

I just know the flushing will make her feel better, and will help her kidneys, I just know it will because it has to..... :(

I don't know what else to say except know that our hearts are breaking and our tears are flowing along with yours. :(

Come on Speckles, sweetie, we need you so please continue to eat and be a good girl and follow all the docs orders so you can come home real soon. Your meowmy needs you....even if your brother doesn't. :(

LoudLou
12-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Slick,

(((( HUGS))))
Healing vibes and prayers being sent your way.

Kirsten
12-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Positive thoughts for Speckles and (((HUGS))) for Slick are on the way...

Kirsten

kimlovescats
12-14-2005, 03:48 PM
((((HUGS))) Slick ... still hoping and praying that things will get better for your dear Speckles! ;)

jenluckenbach
12-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh Slick, :( All I can do is to continue to pray for Speckles. We all understand.....no one is EVER really ready to let go. :(

Randi
12-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Dear Slick, I'm crying with you. :( I so hope Speckles will perk up and be able to come home with you, so you enjoy each other for a while yet.

((((((((hugs))))))))

momoffuzzyfaces
12-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Aw, slick, I'm sad beyond words for you. Prayers continuing that sweet Speckles rallies and gets to come home to you for lots more cuddles and hugs! :(

Killearn Kitties
12-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Sending heaps and heaps of hugs for Slick and Speckles! Keeping all our fingers crossed for Speckles.

lbaker
12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
I was going to reply, but I can't right now. I will try to call you. I, too, am having a serious bout of LES. Hugs to you Sis.... watch you own health right now. A lot of special critters [skin and fur] need you to stay strong and healthy. Do it if not for yourself, but for the others that need you :( You are loved so very, very much.

momcat
12-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Oh Slick, I can't begin to tell you how sad I am about your sweet Speckles. Lots of prayers are continuing for her recovery. I can't afford much right now but I'm willing to help you meet the vet bill as best I can. Just ask.....

krazyaboutkatz
12-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Slick, Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to you and Speckles. I hope she'll start feeling better soon. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

gini
12-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Slick, every single one of us is here for you now. And Laurie is absolutely right --- you are loved so much by so many of us.

I am praying as hard as I can that you will have just a bit more time with Speckles.

xxoo to you Gini

slick
12-15-2005, 07:35 AM
I'd like to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. I never knew that this could be so hard. It's going on 5:30am and I just can't get used to sleeping with only one kitty. Hopefully, I won't have to for much longer. Phred, I see that the Prayer Pups have the direct line open and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Nomi, I'll call you. I think I may need some help. xoxo
Laurie, thanks for the phone call of support yesterday. It was good to share a laugh with you, Sis. xoxo
Gini, I'm aching to hear your voice but I know that you are busy. Thank you for your message the other day and I'll try you on the weekend. xoxo
Momcat, that is so sweet of you to offer, but I'm doing OK financially. I will be making payments so will have the bill paid off in a few months. If you have some spare change, perhaps you could send it in JenL's way. She really needs it right now more than me.
To the others who have emailed me, thank you so very much. Your love and support means more than you know.

A final thank you for all who have replied to this thread and PM'd me. I really wasn't going to start one but now I'm glad Debbie did. Pet Talk Prayers do work miracles and I just know that this is the start of another one.

I'm anxious to visit my baby girl today and see how she is doing. I will post an uppydate later on when I get back.

♥♥♥♥♥

furrykidsmother
12-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Continued good thoughts and prayers to you and Speckles. I hope she will be home with you soon and that you will have many more memories to share.

Killearn Kitties
12-15-2005, 08:28 AM
I hope sweet Speckles had a good night and you find her positively perky today!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-15-2005, 09:17 AM
I hope sweet Speckles had a good night and you find her positively perky today!

Ditto!!!

I know just being hydrated makes a huge difference in how they feel, and that along with the antibiotics....careful now, she might be doing backflips of happiness when you see her. ;)

I know you wouldn't have started a thread. You're a lot like Phred, always there in an instant for everyone else, but too humble to ask for help yourself. If I only learned one thing with Tubby, it's that PT is a powerful support group and is there when needed, all we have to do is call upon them, which is why I knew I had to start a thread for you and Speckles. You both deserve it. :)

Looking forward to a good uppydate! :)

catland
12-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Oh gosh, I hope Speckles is taking to the flushing. We did that with our Crystal several years ago when she had poor kidney function and it really did help.

Hugs and prayers for you and Speckles.

slick
12-15-2005, 02:58 PM
I just got home from visiting my baby girl. It really doesn't look good right now, but time will tell. She looked so pathetic and cried out when I tried to lift her up....so I put her back down again. She is in the bottom cage and when I opened up the door she tried to walk out and immediately hissed at me when I put her back in. I obtained a copy of the blood test and indeed the numbers are off the chart. BUN=73.2 and Creatinine=1307.

I took her some of her favourite food and she ate only a very small amount. I'm sure I would lose my appetite too being stuck in a cage. She has an IV in so didn't want to move her around too much. She shared some conversation and I told her I would be taking her home tomorrow. When I turned around to walk out, she didn't make a sound but looked at me with sad eyes. :( :( I almost lost it at that point...but kept my composure.

While I was there, a good friend of mine from the Humane Society dropped in with a rescued kitty that needed sub-q fluids so I watched the procedure. Dang...that needle ain't small, is it??? I have no idea how I'm going to set that up or how I'm going to be able to do it. She's so squirmy and hates to be scruffed.

I already know what to do if the numbers come down but because I like to be prepared, I asked about the prognosis if they are unchanged. He said that she would only have a few weeks to month at the most. I then got all the prices for euthanization. I was amazed on how "matter of fact" I was through this whole conversation. It's pricey, but he will come to my home to send her on to her final journey which is what I will choose when the time comes.

Anyway, I have to stay positive and expect the best. Thanks again for all your good wishes and thoughts. Until tomorrow folks.

Lobodeb
12-15-2005, 03:06 PM
:( :( :( :( :(
((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))) )

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

crazy_caique
12-15-2005, 03:20 PM
My prayers are with you and Speckles.I am so sorry.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-15-2005, 03:21 PM
:( Aw, Slick!!! Of course we care! Don't you know we love you?
More prayers for you and sweet Speckles!

JenBKR
12-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Lots of prayers for Speckles! Keep us updated!

Barbara
12-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Slick I am so sorry. I was on a business trip the last 2 days and now I read this.

You know that my Filou is on that same street, so I feel with you and Speckles. Add me to the list of those who go into paw crossed mode for you and your girl.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-15-2005, 03:35 PM
((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))) )

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Ditto. :(

It's something we all have to inevitably go through, but I just hate that we have to. :(

I'm so glad you will have the vet come to your home when it's time. I know that's what I want for Peanut too. She is so afraid of the vet's office that there is no way I want her to be afraid during her last minutes on earth....but I'm sure this is not what you want to be hearing or talking about.

I'm going to stay positive that her numbers have come down with the flushing and that with the fluids that you will figure out how to give, she will be with you much longer than a few weeks to a month. When the time comes, I can give you some pointers with the fluids that helped us.

Please try to stay positive. I know it's hard, but Speckles needs you to be strong for her, and it sounds like that's just what you're doing by being so matter of fact about things.

She will be home tomorrow so you can both get some badly needed snuggles in. I know you will hug her close and cry into her soft fur, and that's ok, it's good therapy.

{{{hugs}}} {{{hugs}}} and more {{{hugs}}}

orangemm
12-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I am praying for Speckles; I know how hard it was for you to leave her.

Hopefully you will bring her home tomorrow and you can gently cuddle that sweet girl. She will feel much better with you.

smokey the elder
12-15-2005, 03:55 PM
I hope that the fluids will clean everything out so Speckles feels better.

{{hugs}}

jenluckenbach
12-15-2005, 04:00 PM
More prayers for Speckles and more {{{HUGS}}} for you.

wolflady
12-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Goodness, I just saw this thread, and I'm so sorry you're going through this with Speckles! T&P's mom made a great post and I agree with everything she said. Healing prayers are on the way. I hope you get some positive news tomorrow. Please keep us updated.

**hugs**

Russian Blue
12-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Add me to the list of those who go into paw crossed mode for you and your girl.

Ditto.

I've been away from the boards because I've been busy so I'm just seeing this now. Many people do hold you and Speckles in their thoughts, especially tonight.

((( HUGS ))) Slick.

kuhio98
12-15-2005, 06:50 PM
slick ~ Both of you are in our thoughts and prayers. Please give your sweet girl a kiss from us.

Corinna
12-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Slic, I don't have words but you know me a hug is a big thing so here it is Hug X 10,000

Cinder & Smoke
12-15-2005, 07:40 PM
I have to stay positive and expect the best.

;)

Yuppers ~

Please stay POSITIVE - We'll keep the Prayers Flowing.

{{{Hugs}}} to you and Speckles.

/s/ Phred & the Prayer Kids

slick
12-15-2005, 09:51 PM
It's times like this that you find out who your true friends are. I had a call from my friend Cheryl offering to come up and help me out with the sub-q fluids then right after I hung up, my other friend Elizabeth who only lives 5 min from me, offered the same thing. She also offered to help out with the vet bill, which, of course I refused. I just know that this is going to be OK and I will have her for at least a few more months. :)

krazyaboutkatz
12-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Slick, I'm so sorry to hear that Speckles test results numbers are high. :( I am glad to hear that you have some friends that live close by that can help you through this difficult time. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both you and Speckles and you know that you can always count on me for emotional support. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Uabassoon
12-15-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Speckles, but I'll be sending prayers for a speedy recovery. You are blessed for having such wonderful friends who would be willing to help you.

gini
12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Dear friend, I tried to call you a few minutes ago, but got your machine.

I am so glad to hear that you will have some help........it will make it easier for you and easier to keep it together while you administer the meds.

Know that I care..............and would do anything to help you.

Offering prayers for both you and Speckles

Nomilynn
12-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Vickie you know I'm here for you for whatever you need. Please let me know if I can get you any food.. I can get it at cost. Does she need to be on reduced protein or anything? Please let me know!!

HUGS and PRAYERS. :)

shais_mom
12-16-2005, 12:04 AM
I am sorry I missed this Slick-
You and Speckles will definately be in my prayers.

lady_zana
12-16-2005, 03:31 AM
Speckles, you are in our hearts. Please feel better. Your meowmy and all of us here at PT love you very much.

Poo
12-16-2005, 04:16 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this. Please give Speckles a kiss from us and (((hugs))) are on their way to you Slick. Prayers continuing for you both.

Nicki x

trayi52
12-16-2005, 07:25 AM
I just seen this thread, Slick, and I am really heartbroken to find out you are going through so much right now. Prayers and good thoughts are on the way to you and our precious Speckles. I will pray that Speckles will get better soon.

A thousand hugs goes out to you, my very special friend.

Willie

zippy-kat
12-16-2005, 08:00 AM
I've been away from Pet Talk for a few days and have completely missed this. :(

Slick, of course you and Speckles are top priority on my prayer list. My thoughts and well wishes are with you both.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Randi
12-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Slick, I hope the flushing has helped and Speckles is with you now, cuddling and purring. :) Don't give up hope! I'm sure when you have to start the sub-q-fluids you'll handle it just fine! :)

I'm sending more positive thoughts and both Fister and I are keeping all fingers and paws crossed for Speckles and you.

You know where to find me if you need to talk.

((((((hugs))))))

gini
12-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Mornin' dear friend. It was just great talking to you last night and you have the greatest attitude!

I sure am glad that you will have some help and support in giving Speckles her fluids.

She is going to be very glad to be back home!

xxoo

catland
12-16-2005, 10:58 AM
I hope that today is a better day for you and Speckles. more hugs and prayers on the way.

slick
12-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone. I had a very restless sleep last night...besides, I was up late chatting on the phone. ;) ♥♥♥ to you Gini and thanks again for everything. Yes, I do have a very positive attitude today and with the help of local friends I know that I can get over the fear of giving the fluids. I was planning on hitting the shopping mall early but I'm slow getting started today. {{{hugs}}} to everyone. Randi, I do hope you are feeling better and I'll try to call you later.

Barbara
12-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Slick it's good to hear that you have friends helping out close by. Filou goes to see the vet weekly for sub-qs now and I am already afraid of the moment in which he will need them more often. We can't take him to the vet twice a week (it is heartbreaking to see how each week he tries to find a new hidey hole) and I cannot do it myself :(

All the best for you and Speckles girl.

slick
12-16-2005, 03:43 PM
OK, this is nothing but torture. I was told the blood test results would be in early this afternoon. I just called there and now they won't be in until tonight - which means anytime after 6pm as the vet is open until 8pm. :( :confused: **sigh** I just can't wait to get my baby girl back home again where she belongs.

rg_girlca
12-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Oh Slick, I am just seeing this now. I just finished reading all the posts and talk about LES.

I am so sorry to hear that your dear Speckles isn't doing too well, but I pray with all my might that with the fluids and medications that you will have her to love for years to come.

What a relief to know that you have such dear friends to help you out.

Sweet kisses to Speckles and major ((((((HUGS)))))) for you.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-16-2005, 05:04 PM
After 6:00 pm.....Pacific time?!!?? Does the vet realize that is after 8:00 pm Central time? How am I supposed to wait that long - hrumph!

I say go get her now. The results of the test do not determine whether she comes home or not, just what action needs to be taken once she's home. So go get her now and he can call you later with the results!

Sheesh, doesn't he know we've all been on pins and needles ALL day waiting for these test results? :rolleyes:

I'm leaving work now. Will try to check in later once we're settled in the local Wal-Mart parking lot.....

rosethecopycat
12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Praying prayers and singing songs for Speckles.

jenluckenbach
12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
After 6:00 pm.....Pacific time?!!?? Does the vet realize that is after 8:00 pm Central time? How am I supposed to wait that long - hrumph!

You think THAT is bad?!?! I have to wait until after 9!! :eek: And I'll probably be in bed before any new even gets here. :(
But I'll be praying the whole time.

slick
12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
My baby girl is finally home and I couldn't be happier. She doesn't look good. :( The vet closes at 8pm and by 7:15 I had not received a phone call so I marched on down there. Here's the scoop.

Her numbers were down but not significantly. She has been on IV fluids to flush out the kidneys and today, because she had not had a BM, she had a kitty enema which worked like a charm. The prognosis is not good....he gives her 2 months at the most. :( :( I asked about the stones and he said there really is nothing we can do at this point. I then asked if the stones will eventually cause her pain and he said yes and at that point I should consider putting her to sleep.

I have to give her sub-q fluids (100 CC twice a day) and I was shown how to do it. I had no trouble putting in the needle and she was still for it so I hope that continues. I just have to figure out where I'm going to hang the bag. She is also on 2 other medications, one for the kidneys and one for the infection in her mouth which is getting better.

Now, here's what I'm worried about. She can hardly walk and her hind end is really wobbly and I'm hoping it's because she has been in a cage and not walking around since Tuesday. Right now, she has stumbled into the litterbox had a big pee, then laid down in the LB. After a few minutes, she hopped out took a few steps, then fell down. :( :(

Question: how often should I change the needle for the fluids????

For now, she will be spoiled everyday and showered with kisses. Please continue your prayers and good thoughts. Thank you.

♥♥♥

catnapper
12-16-2005, 10:34 PM
{{{{HUGS}}}} I am truly sorry to hear this! I know she will be much loved and very spoiled the next few months. Give her a kiss from me.

Corinna
12-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Big hug for you and speckles. I'm glad shes home and you can let a tiny bit of worry fly away.

orangemm
12-17-2005, 04:11 AM
I'm so glad your girl is home with you. I'll be praying that she improves.

jenluckenbach
12-17-2005, 05:09 AM
I sure hope Speckles can improve now that she is home. It is so distressing to think she is uncomfortable. :(

As for the needle, my vet specifically told me that THEY would change the needle every time, BUT since I would be using it for only the same cat each time to go ahead and use it twice or three times, but after that it might be dull which would cause more pain upon insertion.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-17-2005, 06:33 AM
I'm so glad she's finally home, but sad that the news wasn't better.

My vet told me to use a new needle each time, but what Jen said sounds good too. As for hanging the bag, what we did was put Tubby on the kitchen table, then hung the bag from the light fixture over the table. Worked like a charm.

As for the stumbling, as your vet for some potassium pills. I know, it's another pill, but my vet told me that when their kidneys are bad, their potassium levels go way down, which makes them weak. What you're describing sounds exactly like what was happening to Tubby. Once we started him on the potassium pills, he improved immensely!

I hope and pray that she continues to tolerate the fluids well. Once Tubby started feeling better, he got all squirmy and one time jumped down, the needle came out and fluid went squirting everywhere. Now I can laugh about it, but at the time I was horrified!

I will also hope and pray that she lets you know it's time. I know it's hard to believe right now, but that will really put your mind at ease when it comes time. You've been given a chance to spoil her rotten and shower her with as much love as you can - a chance to say goodbye. It's almost like you've been given a chance to grieve for her while she's still here - which helps a lot - or at least it did in my case. Hopefully your time together will be longer rather than shorter. More big {{{hugs}}} coming to you and sweet smoochies to Speckles.

Don't forget to ask about the potassium.

emily_the_spoiled
12-17-2005, 07:04 AM
I would recommend a new needle everytime you are giving the fluids. This will cut down on the risk on infection and the potential for having a dull end.

I am so sorry to read about Speckles. I hope the potassium will help.

trayi52
12-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Slick, I am so glad Speckles is home with you. Just wish the news could have been better.

Still keeping you and Speckles in my prayers that she will improve.

Hugs,
Willie

lbaker
12-17-2005, 07:19 AM
:( What I feel right now and want to say I would so much prefer to say in person. Oh how I wish I could see you and hug you. You can and will deal with this and you and Speckles will be the better for it. I love you my dear friend, hang in there ~

smokey the elder
12-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Poor Speckles. Now you can love on her and spoil her at home. Good luck with the fluids and pills.

Randi
12-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Slick, I'm so glad you've got speckles home with you, but sorry to hear the news wasn't better. I so hope the fluids will help her perk up, and she'll be able to walk around a bit.

I'll keep sending positive thoughts to Speckles and you, and Fister is sending gentle headbumpies. Now, go and shower her with kisses! :)

Good luck giving her the fluids!

Big (((((hugs)))))

slick
12-17-2005, 09:49 AM
In the middle of the night I heard Specks trying to jump on the stepstool beside the bed and stumble. So I lifted her up there and we all promptly fell asleep. I've rigged up the fluids in the spare bedroom and put a soft blanket on top of the freezer. Just finished giving her morning dose and it's very obvious that my baby girl is truly not well. She didn't flinch at all. The first time I put in the needle it was not far enough in and the fluids started spreading on her fur. So I reinserted it in a different place then started the flow. Everything seemed to go OK and the bag went down by 100 CC's but she didn't get that lump on the back of her neck like I was told she would have. The blanket was not wet and neither was her fur so I'm assuming that it was done correctly. Tonight my friend Elizabeth is coming over and she'll help me out. Oh yeah, when I took the needle out I jabbed it in my finger.... so I guess that one will be replaced right away.

Debbie, the kidney med she is on does contain Potassium so I hope that she will improve on that.

Today I have to play Santa for the Humane Society so I will keep her in her own room separated so I can monitor her input and output. Looking at her right now....she really looks like she's on death's door and this is just killing me. As I've said to others in an email....my heart has never felt such pain before.

Karen
12-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Prayers continue to be said for you and Speckles that she can perk up abit and remain comfortable for a while yet. And by the way, the few times I've been hopitalized, it does take a couple days to get the strength in my legs back again - they just get used to doin' nothing.

gini
12-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Slick, I am praying that now Speckles is back home with you that she may perk up after the meds have a chance to take hold.

Each day will be very special and I know that she is aware of all that you are trying to do for her.

I think Karen is right - being cramped in a cage probably has made her legs a bit stiff.

Giant hugs being sent your way.

xxoo

Edwina's Secretary
12-17-2005, 10:38 AM
My legs and hips get stiff whenever I sit for very long! Poor Speckles. You are a saint to take such loving care of her.....

momoffuzzyfaces
12-17-2005, 11:12 AM
(((HUGS and PRAYERS))) for you both!

zippy-kat
12-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Just checking in today...

Your ordeal sounds similar to what we went through with Tinker. We had to give her fluids twice a day, alternating between the left and right shoulder (they told us we could insert the needle in the scruff behind her "elbows"). I couldn't do the needle-in-skin insertion (feeling it go through the skin freaks me out) so I admire you 10x over for doing this task by yourself.

I sincerely hope that Speckles is doing better with each passing minute.

Slick, know that we're praying for you and your furry girl.

{{hugs}}

furrykidsmother
12-17-2005, 02:31 PM
So glad to hear that Speckles is home with you, but sad to hear the prognosis isn't better. I pray that you will still have much more time with her.

manda_moo87
12-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh Slick...

I'm so so sorry to hear Speckles isn't well and that I didn't see this sooner. Know that you and Specks are in my thoughts and prayers and if you need to talk let me know and I'll give you my number. Take care... (((( HUGS ))))

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-17-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm glad she's getting the potassium. I know when we first brought Tubby home, it was a day or two before we saw significant improvement. Hopefully you'll see a little improvement by the time you get home this evening, then a little more tomorrow morning and so on.

I'm glad you all got to snuggle last night. I bet that's the best night's sleep you've gotten this week. <weak smile>

I know exactly how heavy your heart is, and I can't imagine having to go play Santa all day when dealing with this, but, it will be a good diversion for you and it will give
Speckles time to reaclimate to being home.

Somehow you will find the strength to endure this....because you have to. Speckles knows you are doing the best you can for her, and I know she knows you love her and will do whatever is right for her. Hang in there sweetie..... :(

Craftlady
12-17-2005, 05:43 PM
I just saw this thread and got caught up on all the postings etc. I'm so sorry your having to go through this with Speckles. Keeping good thoughts and prayers that the IV fluids and medicines get things changed around and make Speckles more comfortable. It is so hard to see our furry babies so sick.

zippy-kat
12-17-2005, 07:25 PM
{{Just checking in on our patient and her dearest mommy.}}

Uabassoon
12-17-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm happy to hear that Speckles is with you right now. I'm so sorry to hear that she still isn't doing to well. But I'll be praying that she starts to feel better soon.

gini
12-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Me too, Me too................just sending a supportive hug or two.
xxoo Gini

krazyaboutkatz
12-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Slick, I haven't been able to check in until now. :o I'm glad to hear that Speckles is back home with you and that you had a good night's sleep with her curled next to you. :) I'm very sorry to hear about her prognosis though :( but I hope she'll start feeling better and that you'll have more time with her than your vet thinks. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both you and Speckles. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

kuhio98
12-17-2005, 08:58 PM
slick ~ Have you tried the Snuggle Safe microwave thingy for Speckles? Some mornings Cammie is so stiff she can't get around. I nuke the snuggle safe and put it under a towel for her. She sleeps on it for a while and soaks up the warmth and seems to feel much better. It might be worth trying.

catland
12-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Vickie -

I'm so very sorry that the news wasn't better. I've been trying to think of some words of comfort but I don't really know what to say except that I've been there and I know just how hard it is when your friend is so sick.

Just please know that you always have us here who understand just how important Speckles is to you.

hugs and prayers still coming your way.

slick
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
When I got home today, I checked and the blanket that she was laying on all day was soaked with urine. Poor girl...I suspect she didn't have the strength to get to the litterbox. I felt sooo bad and cried so hard for her. :( :( I offered a bit of wet food but she only licked at it.

My friend Elizabeth and her husband just left and she gave me some pointers. You guys would have laughed so hard....the first two tries were a disaster. I had fluid all over the place and poor Speckles was just laying there waiting for all this to be over. Finally on the third try, I had the needle inserted just right and low and behold, she has a lump....the squishy lump that's supposed to be absorbed into the body. I lifted her down and then a miracle happened!!! :)

She waddled over to her food dish...looked up at me and let out this pitiful meow. I gave her about a teasp. of wet food and she gobbled it up. This happened a few more times and believe it or not, she ate about 1/2 of the small tin of Fancy Feast. I was so happy I cried. She wanted more but I didn't want her to pig out and lose it so I carried her to the bed where she is now sleeping.

I do believe that we will get through this. The needle bit still makes me a bit nervous but Elizabeth said she can come over every night if need be. Like I said, it's times like this that you really know who your true friends are.

Lisa, I did warm up the Snuggle Safe for Specks last night but she was not interested. I think she was just too sick to be bothered. Tonight, for sure she's getting it under the blanket. Thank you again so much for sending that.

http://www.felinecrf.org/pinned!.jpg
I found this on a website. It's called for obvious reasons the Clothespin Trick and is a form of acupressure and most cats totally relax. Don't really know if this is what I want to try. LOL
http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_giving_set.htm#clothes_peg_trick
Here's the website. OK, I'm off to feed Max now. He's feeling really left out. {{{hugs}}} to all of you.

Uabassoon
12-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Slick I'm so happy to hear that she ate all that Fancy Feast! That really is good news. Your friend is so sweet to help you with all of this. I hope if something like this happens to me I'll have a friend to help, I'm terrified of needles!

krazyaboutkatz
12-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Slick, This is wonderful news!!! :D I'm so happy to hear that she's eating again and seems a bit perkier too. :D You'll get the hang of giving the sub-q fluids but I'm glad that you also have a friend that's close by and willing to help you. Take care. ((((HUGS)))

AmberLee
12-17-2005, 10:09 PM
OMG! I somehow missed this thread -- sorry, I seem to be oblivious these days.

It sounds like the sub-q injections are doing her a world of good -- I'm SO thrilled. ~~~ healing vibes for Speckles ~~~ and ~~~ comfort/hang in there vibes for Slick ~~~

Good luck, Slick, in what's got to be a miserably difficult time... :eek:

Corinna
12-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Glad to hear you are getting the hang of the IV stuff. Sorry you have to learn it at all. Glad you have freinds to help. Hug

Nomilynn
12-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Please let me know if you need anything! I'm happy to know you are getting the hang of things :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-18-2005, 07:13 AM
I'm so glad you have such a good friend close by to help you through this. I'm also so very glad that Speckles seems to have perked up a bit and actually begged for food! Way to go Specks!!! :D Now that you've got the procedure down and the kidney meds have had time to start kicking in a little, hopefully you'll start to see a slow but steady improvement in her. All I know is if she's asking for food, she's not ready to go yet, and that is a HUGE relief! :D

I forgot all about the snuggle safe thing! We put a heating pad under a towel for Tubby and he seemed to enjoy it. Once he started feeling better he'd sleep half on and half off so we thought maybe he was getting too warm and turned it off, but he seemed to appreciate it when he wasn't feeling that well.

{{{hugs}}} and good thoughts and prayers going out that she steadily improves! :)

smokey the elder
12-18-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm so glad that Speckles felt well enough after her fluids to have a bite to eat.

slick
12-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Nomi: I thank you so much for the offer. Right now I don't really have her on any special diet at all...I just want her to eat something. Once she starts to feel better (hopefully) then I will incorporate more of the low protein wet food.

Debbie: Does this mean that she is salvageable?? :D ;)

I was up a few times in the night and tried to encourage her to use the litter box but I failed. This morning, her blanket was wet again even though the LB is right next to her. I also changed it to one with lower sides to make it easier for her to get in and out of. She is really having trouble walking and this has me concerned. She can't stand when she eats or drinks. I'm going to call the vet this morning. I don't want her to get to the point of peeing and pooping herself.

I gave her fresh water this morning as usual and she was at the water dish for at least 5 minutes, drinking and drinking. I'm starting to give her fresh water twice a day now. She is eating a wee bit as I write this but she's certainly not as enthusiastic about it as she was last night. Oh yes, I got the needle in right the first time this morning. She really is very cooperative and that is very surprising. I guess she knows that it's good for her. I'm also surprising myself.....I really didn't think I could do it and be so calm about it. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

While I was submitting the fluids I had a talk with her and told her to please let me know when she's had enough and wants to cross the bridge. She looked up at me and let out a silent meow and I know that she understood.

Thanks again for your good thoughts and prayers. It's a cold sunny day today and I get to play Santa again. Lots of happy furry four-legged pups to hold....it can't get better than that.

♥♥♥

gini
12-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Slick, I will email you.........can't do it right now...........LES going on here big time!

♥♥

momcat
12-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Prayers continue to be prayed for you and of course Speckles. How is she doing today? Please give her some get well scritchies from me if she's up to it. Hugs to both of you!

Randi
12-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Slick, I know you worried about giving her the fluids, but you've done very well! :) I'm glad to hear Speckles is eating - if only a little. As Debbie said, that means she hasn't given up completely.

I'll will keep you and Speckles in my thoughts and send lots of positive vibes to you both. Give her gentle kisses from me - Fister is keeping his paws crossed for her too.

Get a good nights sleep, so you can cope tomorrow.

Lots of ((((((hugs))))))

krazyaboutkatz
12-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Slick, Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are still being sent your way. Since she's been peeing on blankets you might want to buy some puppy training pads and set them out near the litter box and hopefully she'll use them. I put them behind my litter boxes to catch pee spills in case my furkids have peed in the corner and it's leaked down the litter box. It's really helped me and may help Speckles now too. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Tracey, excellent idea about the puppy pads! I actually bought one of those for Peanut for the trip. Just in case I misinterpreted her meows and she couldn't hold it. That happened once on our last trip and she ended up peeing in her carrier, which ran out onto the leather couch. Got it cleaned up before Terry saw it, but went and bought the puppy pads for this trip - just in case. They're like a diaper where they are absorbent on one side, but the liquid won't leak through.

Yes, Slick, I think my vet would say she's salvageable. :)

Hoping she had a good day and is hungry when you get home this afternoon. :)

jenluckenbach
12-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I too have been continuing the prayers for you ans Speckles.

BastetsMum
12-19-2005, 02:50 AM
Many prayers for you and your baby. I am sorry to hear that speckles is not well.

slick
12-19-2005, 06:42 AM
She's not getting any better. I'm not giving up just yet but I don't know how much longer I should do this. She can only take a couple of steps before falling over and she seems to be having a bit of trouble breathing. She didn't eat much yesterday and I'm thinking it won't be long now. I need to get some more fluids and needles at the vet's tomorrow to I'll speak to him then about this. I just can't believe how fast this is coming on. :( :(

jenluckenbach
12-19-2005, 07:12 AM
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I will pray that you have the strength to do what is necessary when the time comes. :( And I will hold your hand the whole time.

zippy-kat
12-19-2005, 08:04 AM
{{hugs}}

Prayers continued...

Donnaj4962
12-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Warm thoughts and many prayers to you and your little one. I know that God will help to guide you in what is the right step. I know this is a difficult time for you and Speckles. I and my little ones are praying for you.

Killearn Kitties
12-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Slick, you'll know what is the best thing to do for precious Speckles. You are best placed to judge how she feels. Lots of love and hugs coming your way.

Barbara
12-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Of course it is not just kidney failure- it's also a kitty who would be 100 if she was a human. And we all know that even easier health problems can't be fought very well if they attack older people.

You will know best what to do and will find the right decision. And maybe Speckles will let you know whether she is ready to go. Our kitties know better than we do and can accept the end easier. It's us humans who always want to change what is unevitable. :(

Love, purrings and headbumpies from the boys.

Poo
12-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Slick I went through a similar situation earlier this year and as many others have said, you will know when its time. Doesn't make it an easier though :( Prayers and hugs on their way to you both.

Nicki x

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-19-2005, 09:15 AM
:(

Like others have said, you will know when it's time, and you will do what's best for Speckles. I'm so sad that she isn't improving better and like you say, it's all coming on so quickly.

Know that she has lived a good long life. It's because you care for her so much that she has even made it this far in life. I also know that all of this isn't much consolation for you and no matter how much you are preparing yourself for what is to come, you will be most devastated when the time comes, and I so wish I could be there for you to help you through it.

{{{hugs}}} {{{hugs}}} and more {{{hugs}}} :(

Randi
12-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Slick, all you can do now, is keep her comfortable and make sure she's not in pain. It is heartbreaking for you to see her like that, but I know you do all you can. I also know how hard it is to let her go. :( :( Just be with her as much as you can and let her feel your love. :) She will tell you when it's time.

Sending positive thoughts and lots of gentle kisses to Speckles, and big ((((((hugs))))) to you.

kimlovescats
12-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I am so very sorry to hear that things aren't improving.
I know how hard it is to watch them deteriorate and feel so helpless! :(

Hugs,
Kim

Logan
12-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Major hugs to both of you, Slick. :( I know, too well, that feeling of not knowing what to do, but knowing what you need to do......confusing, isn't it?

Blessings to both of you.

Logan

slick
12-19-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm not going to go on and on and on...there's only so much that I can say for an update, but please pray that she does well until Wednesday. I have an appointment with the vet at 10am this morning to discuss things.

On Tuesday, a photographer is coming over to take pictures of me in my Santa suit with Max and Speckles. I suspect this will be the last picture of my baby girl and I want her to look special for it. I have some Christmas material and will attempt to make a little bandana. Maybe it will perk her up a bit to know that she has to get dressed up for a photo shoot.

Again, many thanks for all your prayers. Her forehead has been showered with kisses....one from each of you.

Corinna
12-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Prays out to you for her to make it for her picture,they are so important. The photos I took of Merlin ,the morning of our trip to the vets,are my some of my faviortes.

krazyaboutkatz
12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Slick, I'm so sorry to hear that Speckles isn't improving. :( Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. I'd love to see the Christmas photo so hopefully you'll be able to share this with us. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

zippy-kat
12-19-2005, 01:07 PM
As always, you two are in my thoughts.

{{hugs}}

momoffuzzyfaces
12-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Prayers still on the way from me. Please keep showering her with kisses from me too! (((HUGS))) to you both!

furrykidsmother
12-19-2005, 01:22 PM
So sorry to hear that things are not better for Speckles. I do hope she will feel well enough for her photoshoot. Maybe that will cheer her up a bit and give you another beautiful memory to hold in your heart. I hope that you will have more time with her, but I am sure that when the time comes for her to cross over, she will do so gently with you by her side.

AmberLee
12-19-2005, 02:24 PM
{{{Slick}}}
{{{Speckles}}}

Peace be with you

Nomilynn
12-19-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm so sorry :( *HUGS*

lbaker
12-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Every minute you have now is a gift. Every gift is a sign of love. May every sign of love bring you both peace ~

Kirsten
12-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Slick, it breaks my heart to read your latest update!

I wasn't around the last days because I was sick, but I thought a lot of you and Speckles. I know she will stay with you as long as she can, because she knows you love and need her.

{{{HUGS}}}

Kirsten

zippy-kat
12-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Good morning dear ones.

Here's hoping for a peaceful, memorable, love-filled day.

{{Continued thoughts and prayers...}}

slick
12-20-2005, 08:58 AM
She has truly come to the end of the road. She has not purred in days and this morning her eyes....well are telling a story that I don't want to hear.

The lump of fluid from last night has not been absorbed at all so will call the vet this morning for advice. I think maybe today I will help her to the Bridge..... :( :( :(

Poo
12-20-2005, 09:01 AM
So sorry to hear this :(

Kirsten
12-20-2005, 09:08 AM
{{{{{Slick}}}}}

furrykidsmother
12-20-2005, 09:11 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. I was checking in, hoping for a good update, but I see that she is going downhill. It is a very difficult decision, but perhaps she is telling you with her eyes that it is time to make the journey. If that is what you decide I am sure that she will be grateful to you for making it as easy as possible. She is probably very tired and looking forward to making the crossing where she will once again be in good health.

Logan
12-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Vickie, as hard as it is, it is the absolute most courageous and unselfish act we can do for our pets who have loved us so long. Please know that you and Speckles are in our thoughts and prayers. I wish I could be there with you to hug you and hold your hand. It is such a peaceful time when they are released from their pain, although it is so hard for those they leave behind.

Much love,
Logan

kuhio98
12-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Vickie ~ I'm so sorry that Speckles isn't getting better. My heart aches for you and the decision we all face. Sweet, sweet Speckles.

emily_the_spoiled
12-20-2005, 09:33 AM
I am so sorry for what you are going to have to do. Although, this is the greatest gift of love that you can give her :(

Randi
12-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Dear Slick! I wish I could be there to comfort you in this sad time. :( :(

I know how hard is to let Specles go, but I hope it will be a comfort for you to know that you have done all you could for her, and also that she doesn't have to suffer unneccesary.

Speckles have had a good and long life with you, and if she's ready to cross to the RB, I promise that John will be there to welcome her and give her hugs and scritchies. :)

When Fister's mom got ill, I had to make that same decision, and it was hard - even though I didn't like her that much, I cried for days.

Slick, contact me whenever you need to talk - I'll be here for you!

(((((((hugs)))))))

slick
12-20-2005, 10:15 AM
I just spoke to the vet and he will be here at 5:30pm today. It's confirmed that her body is shutting down and will not work to absorb the fluids. Please pray for a peaceful passing for my Baby Girl. :( :( :( Her breathing is a bit "laboured" so I really know it's time. I don't want to wait too long and have her in pain.

catnapper
12-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Oh honey (((HUGS)))) I've been out of town and I am so sad to hear how quickly she declined :( Many hugs to you and prayers that she is as comfortable and peaceful as possible in the next few days. I don't know what to say to help your grief, but do knw we're all here for you.

gini
12-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Dear Slick,

My heart breaks for you this morning.

I know the pain, it is almost as though you cannot catch your breath, it hurts so much.

But if today you let her go, the consolation is that she is truly free of pain and illness and will instantly have beautiful wings so that she can fly around the Rainbow Bridge and visit every corner, every wonderful pet that we have all lost.

She will always be in your heart and is so grateful for the wonderful life she has had with you on earth. She will never be very far away from you.

Dear friend, how I wish I could ease this time for you.

Kirsten
12-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Oh Slick, I'm with you in my thoughts...

Like others have said here before, it's your last act of love for her, and she will be painfree and whole after her passing.

Animal communicator Amelia Kinkade wrote in her book that animals do not fear death, and sometimes their little souls even decide to "come back" to a beloved human. I still find comfort in the thought that one of my future kitties may be my beloved Katz. We're never really parted from them, you know?

Kirsten

Nomilynn
12-20-2005, 10:38 AM
You are in my prayers. I'm so sorry .. please dont hesitate to ask for anything and I will do wahtever I can.

*HUGS* my dear friend.

slick
12-20-2005, 10:42 AM
One last message before I sign off. When I adopted Specks 8 years ago I promised her biological Mom that I would always let her know about Specks and her health. Well we did keep in touch for a year or two, then Specks' Mom moved and I lost touch. Through this whole ordeal, that was the one thing that I felt really bad about. I wanted to give Patti an update on her girl but didn't know how to reach her.

Low and behold, she emailed my hotmail account 3 days ago. Did Speckles have a hand in this?? I expect so and I will be calling her today. After all, Patti loved her first.

Nomilynn
12-20-2005, 10:49 AM
That post gave me goosebumps. I would take it as a sign that Speckles is ready and at peace, and wants you and Patti to be so also.

HUGS to you my dear friend.

Cinder & Smoke
12-20-2005, 10:51 AM
If it be Thy Will ...

Please give Speckles a gentle ride up to the Raibow Bridge ~

And give Slick a big God'sHug.

Have a Safe Trip, Dear Speckles.

/s/ :( Phred

kuhio98
12-20-2005, 10:54 AM
One last message before I sign off. When I adopted Specks 8 years ago I promised her biological Mom that I would always let her know about Specks and her health. Well we did keep in touch for a year or two, then Specks' Mom moved and I lost touch. Through this whole ordeal, that was the one thing that I felt really bad about. I wanted to give Patti an update on her girl but didn't know how to reach her.

Low and behold, she emailed my hotmail account 3 days ago. Did Speckles have a hand in this?? I expect so and I will be calling her today. After all, Patti loved her first.
It sounds like sweet Speckles has given you the sign that you asked for. You asked her to let you know when she was ready to go. Patti getting touch with you out of the blue is definitely a sign. Speckles must want you two to have each other during this painful time. Sweet Speckles, you are such a good girl for thinking of your meowmies. What a wonderful, loving spirit you are.

catland
12-20-2005, 11:29 AM
My thoughts are with you.

Thank-you Speckles, for being such a good kitty to our friend Vickie - you will be very missed. Go on your journey now - knowing you were loved.

lbaker
12-20-2005, 11:36 AM
I truly believe what Kirsten said. My heart cat Sunny died at 20 yrs old too many years ago and to this day I occasionally feel his presence. He was a shoulder cat and I swear that sometimes when I wake in the morning I feel his warm, soft furry weight on my shoulder. It brings such comfort. I'm so overwhelmed with feelings right now and just wish I could be there with and for you my dear, dear friend :(

Logan
12-20-2005, 11:38 AM
We will be with you and Speckles, in spirit, this afternoon, Slick. :( I know one gray/yellow Labrador that just arrived at the bridge almost two weeks ago, who found that she didn't mind cats too much in the last 3 1/2 years of her life, although she did give Mimi and Butter a run for their money when she first met them. Murphy will welcome Speckles with open arms and they can learn their way around, together.

Love,
Logan

krazyaboutkatz
12-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Slick, I'm sorry to hear that Speckles health is declining so rapidly :( but you're doing the right thing by helping her on her way to Rainbow Bridge. You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers today. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Corinna
12-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Oh Slick I'm sitting here tears all over the place my heart heavy for you and Speckles. I know how it is Having to do the same in April with Merlin. Know that Logan will be holding your hand I will be having my arms around you.

shais_mom
12-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Hugs and continued prayers for stregnth for you my friend.
Godspeed for a peaceful Journey, sweet Speckles. I know all the PetTalk furries that have went before her will be there to welcome her. And several beloved relatives of several of us will welcome her with gentle arms.

zippy-kat
12-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news but it is the kindest, gentlest act.

A certain loppy-eared bunster has been notified to be on her best behavior (she's been known to *thumpz* others) and welcome sweet Speckles when the time comes. As official digger-upper of the garden grounds (and house plants), she's sure to know the best catnip patches.

{{Many hugs to you, Slick. Many hugs.}}

smokey the elder
12-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm so sorry that Speckles is getting ready to make the big trip. Maybe Smokey will share her shoestring.

wolflady
12-20-2005, 01:28 PM
{{{SLICK}}}
I know that this is a very difficult time for you, and Speckles was blessed to have you as her meowmie. It's wonderful that you want to update Patti, and I also think that this was her sign to you that she is ready to make the big trip. Please know that we are all here for you, hon.

Big hugs for you and godspeed sweet Speckles when the time comes. :(

**hugs**

momoffuzzyfaces
12-20-2005, 01:41 PM
:( Oh, my friend, I wish I could make the hurt go away for you. I had to send my Leroy to the RB a few years ago. I took some last pictures of him before I took him to the vet. I'm glad I did because now I can look at them and see how bad he felt compared to his other pictures. I know I did the right thing. It's so hard letting them go! I know Speckles knows how much you love her.

Speckles, sweetheart, have a safe peaceful trip to the RB. You'll be home in time for Christmas. Your mom will miss you something awful, so please stay near her, ok? Please say hi to my big boy, Leroy. He'll be glad to show you around. oxoxoxoxo

Prairie Purrs
12-20-2005, 01:47 PM
It's the most difficult thing they ever ask us to do, to let them go when we love them so much.

May Speckles have a gentle trip to the Bridge. Speckles, sweetie, be sure to look up a brown tabby named Keke when you get there--she left for the RB just after Christmas 12 years ago. She'll show you around.

Edwina's Secretary
12-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I'll light a candle at 5:30 today...to help guide Speckles on her trip to the bridge....

lbaker
12-20-2005, 02:33 PM
My candle will be lit at 8:30 pm Eastern time. How very nice Sara.

RICHARD
12-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Words are inadequate and awkward at times like this.

Slick,

Please know that the collective arms of PT are around you and you are in our heart.

And look forward, friend.

Somewhere there is a little kittypuss that won't take Speckles place in your heart, But may take a place in your home.

Godspeed, Speckles.

jenluckenbach
12-20-2005, 03:43 PM
{{{{{{{SLICK}}}}}}}

I am so sorry that you and Speckles could not have more time together. :( But one day, you will be reunited and have eternity together.

slick
12-20-2005, 04:35 PM
My baby girl is soooo ready to go and I'm very ready to let her go. I had some friends over to say their last good-byes and to take some pictures. My baby girl....who hated to be held...who hated to be messed with....who would bite anyone who touched her paws....just layed on my chest for a long time. I took some of her fur and even put a bandana on her while she had her picture taken on Santa's lap. She never flinched. Right now she is sleeping on the couch on her favourite blankie. I'm wondering if she will chose to leave before the vet arrives.

I can't help but think that she has done a very unselfish thing. This whole ordeal would have been so much more stressful on me if I hadn't been on holidays. Did she plan this departure when she knew that I would be around most of the day??

Right now I'm very much in control and have not shed any tears yet. I have no idea what I will be like tonight.

Sara and Laurie...what a lovely thought. I've had candles burning all day here and I can imagine how pretty the Bridge must look with all the Christmas lights lining the railing.

wolflady
12-20-2005, 04:56 PM
...Sara and Laurie...what a lovely thought. I've had candles burning all day here and I can imagine how pretty the Bridge must look with all the Christmas lights lining the railing.

Oh, Slick, this brought tears to my eyes. Indeed what a beautiful image this is, and you can bet that Speckles will have a grand entrance!
A candle will be lit in my home tonight as well...

Much love,
Karen

Russian Blue
12-20-2005, 04:59 PM

I do believe that everything happens for a reason in life. This is a perfect example.

Speckles had a wonderful life in your care Slick. Do not dwell on the sorrow but on the larger happiness you both shared. Everyone must go down the same road of life but we choose what memories will remain with us forever.

Many hugs to you Slick. I'll send a prayer for a peaceful crossing.

orangemm
12-20-2005, 05:04 PM
I can add nothing to what has already been said; we all know that feeling in our hearts and how much it hurts.

She knows you love her by your tender touch and soft words.

All I can hope for is that both of you will be at peace.

(((((hugs)))))

zippy-kat
12-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Candles will be lit here as well.

Heaven will have a new beautiful, beautiful angel this Christmas.

We love you, Slick.

jenluckenbach
12-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Soon, you will RIP, Speckles. And then you can be slick's guardian angel from above. Good bye. :(

lbaker
12-20-2005, 05:59 PM
I just got off the phone with Slick. We laughed, we cried.. Slick is ready and so is dear Speckles. I simply can't write any more. I love my best friend and I ache, as we all are. RIP

Uabassoon
12-20-2005, 06:24 PM
((((hugs)))) I'm lighting my candles for Speckles right now. Have a safe trip to the bridge, we will all miss you.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-20-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm so glad you got the pictures. It's like her final gift to you before she goes.
Be at peace sweetie - both of you!!!

Don't worry, angels will guide her safely to the bridge!

zippy-kat
12-20-2005, 07:00 PM
I, too, am in the process of lighting my candles.

{{Slick, Speckles, Max}}

LoudLou
12-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Slick, :(
((((((((((((((((((((( HUGS ))))))))))))))))))))))

Godspeed to the bridge, Speckles.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh my goodness. We were busy running around all day and I had no idea, but I'm so glad I checked in in time. Candles will be lit here also. :(

Be strong, Slick.

Speckles, have a safe trip to the bridge. Tubby is waiting to show you all the highlights. Know that your meowmy loves you dearly.

:( :(

{{{hugs}}}

lbaker
12-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Speckles is happy, at peace, and filled with lights showing the way. Oh my, there is BINX, ANGUS, MS SOPHIE, MURPHY, TUBBY and my MOONIE GIRL! And many of our katkins, and hoomans. Grandmas and Grandpaws. What a reception you are getting! oh my.. many candles lighting the way. The WAY is filled with last thoughts of her Meowmies, Aunties, Cousins (Dog, Cat, Bunnies et at) I love you my dear friend.

slick
12-20-2005, 08:19 PM
She's gone....and I'm no longer in control. I had no idea that it would hurt this much. :( :( :( I will post a Memorial in a few days when I settle down.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-20-2005, 08:25 PM
I just lit a virutal candle. Search for the initials dh

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm

RIP sweet Speckles.

Slick, I'm crying with you, and have been since I first saw this about an hour ago. Cry, sweetie, cry. I know it hurts so bad.... :( :( :(

NoahsMommy
12-20-2005, 09:15 PM
My sweet friend, my whole body hurts for you - and I know its not the crohn's talking. I'm so very sorry for you. If I could, I'd have been up there holding you...I think we all would.

You have always been amazingly wonderful and fair and kind and perfect regarding your babies. Know that your - our - darling Speckles knows and loves you for that. Thank you so much for being so kind to her...for loving her that much.

If I can do anything, let me know. I'm going to call you in a few minutes. God knows I've cried numerous times to you on the phone, I'm here for you if you need to do the same.

Love you, sweet friend.

Hugs,
Kelly and the mourning furkitties

RIP Gorgeous, Sweet Angel Speckles...you'll be missed greatly...

AlleyCat
12-20-2005, 09:18 PM
I am so sorry, Slick. I am crying as I post, as I'm sure many of you are. When I first read about Speckles not being well due to kidney failure, I could relate all too well because of my RB Rascal with the same situation. It was too hard for me to read the subsequent posts so I purposely unsubscribed from this thread. But I had been thinking of Speckles and you a lot, knowing just how you must be feeling. And it's now 9:15 p.m. and I had this feeling that I needed to check this thread. And I'm finding out she just began her journey to the Rainbow Bridge. I am so sorry for your loss and know the days ahead will be sad and painful. RIP Speckles, may you know eternal peace.

zippy-kat
12-20-2005, 09:19 PM
:( No words will comfort you now but know that we're thinking of you and holding you tightly in our thoughts and prayers and well-wishes.

{{Slick}}

Craftlady
12-20-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. May it be a comfort that Speckles is pain free and playing at the bridge.

AbbyMom
12-20-2005, 09:51 PM
I too lit a virtual candle for Speckles and Buttons. Thank you for the link T&P's mom.

Hugs for Slick.

catnapper
12-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Slick, I am so so sorry. I am crying right along with you. I too will light a virtual candle for her.

BastetsMum
12-20-2005, 09:55 PM
HUGS I am posting at work trying hard not to cry. I will light a candle when I get home. My condolences.

luvofallhorses
12-20-2005, 10:22 PM
I am so terribly sorry for your loss.
(((((((slick)))))))) R.I.P. Speckles.

petslover
12-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Yes, Good thoughts and wishes for you both.

Shady
12-20-2005, 10:31 PM
LES.

There is an ache in my heart for you and the pain you are in.

Cherish Speckles memories in your heart, they can never be taken from you, they are yours forever.

Godspeed Speckles. The Rainbow Bridge awaits.

rg_girlca
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Slick, my heart goes out to you as I know what you are going through.

I know it will take time for the pain to go away on your loss, but she was so well loved and will never be forgotten. There will be a day, when you are thinking about your Speckles, that your tears will be replaced by a smile.
She was lucky to have you and you were so blessed to have her for 18 1/2 years. Thank you for loving her enough to end her suffering.

((((((HUGS)))))) to you dear Slick.

Rest in Peace sweet Speckles.

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Slick - both you and Speckles are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that you have the strength to do what you have to when the time comes - as others have said, you will know when it is time.

Speckles has had such a wonderful life with you, and you have given each other so much.

(((HUGS)))

poofy
12-20-2005, 11:00 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/candl.gifRIP :(

anna_66
12-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Oh Slick:( I just got done reading this thread and was hoping so much that it wouldn't end so soon.
I can't seem to stop the tears from flowing because I know that hurt your feeling.
BIG {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you.

RIP Speckles

Nomilynn
12-20-2005, 11:33 PM
You have been in my thoughts all day and I am keeping you there.

RIP sweet Speckles and ***HUGS*** to you, dear friend.

gini
12-20-2005, 11:45 PM
I got off the phone with you Slick and burst into tears. So much for being strong for your friend.

Speckles, when you have time, I would be so happy for you to meet
Sugar, Magic and Patches - they will show you around I know.

But rest now sweet kitty - you deserve it. But I know that you will be worried about your Mom - we will do all in our power to support her and show her the love that you have for so many years.

Slick, there just never seems to be the exact right words - but I know you know what is in my heart - and it hurts for you.

krazyaboutkatz
12-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Slick, I also lit a virtual candle for you and it's under TD. I'm so sorry that Speckles had to go to Rainbow Bridge so soon but you did the right thing so she wouldn't suffer any more. She knew she that she was very much loved and now she's playing up at the Bridge with my Pepper and is free of pain. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. RIP sweet Speckles. :( (((HUGS)))

shais_mom
12-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Hugs and prayers sent to you Slick.
Please accept my sympathy.

trayi52
12-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Slick, so sorry to hear this. At least she is going gently to the bridge, where she will know no more pain. You are in my prayers, my dear and sweet friend, I pray that you will be comforted from all the love and hugs coming from all your friends here at Pet Talk, because we all love and care for you so very much.

Love and Hugs,
Willie

popcornbird
12-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Oh Slick. :( I haven't been able to spend much time on PT lately, and only just saw this thread now. My heart is breaking into a million pieces, and I am at such a loss for words. May your precious baby girl RIP, and may God bring comfort to your heart, and help ease your pain. You are in my prayers.

{{{hugs}}}

Barbara
12-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Slick I am so very very sorry. I am sure Speckles sweet soul is close to you.
{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}

AmberLee
12-21-2005, 03:38 AM
:eek: :( :eek:

{{{Slick}}}

Frolic well at the R.B., dear Speckles! Your brand of love will be sorely missed, sweet princess!

Laura's Babies
12-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Slick, may God be with you in your time of sorrow and bring you comfort. I know how bad this hurts as I think all PT'er do and our hearts are with you during this time.

orangemm
12-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Rest peacefully, Speckles. You were greatly loved.

Killearn Kitties
12-21-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm so very sorry about sweet Speckles, Slick. She will be much missed.

Rest in peace beautiful girl.

jenluckenbach
12-21-2005, 05:11 AM
Slick, the greater the love = the greater the hurt. :( Cry like a baby and don't feel ashamed. Then hang on tighly to all those wonderful memories.
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Kirsten
12-21-2005, 05:24 AM
{{{Slick}}}, I'm sitting here and I'm crying with you. You are not alone these days.

Rest in peace, sweet Speckles, and have fun with all the cat angels at the bridge...

Kirsten

Poo
12-21-2005, 05:51 AM
You did your best for Speckles Slick, it was her time. RIP sweet girl. ((((hugs)))) to you Slick.

Nicki x

RobiLee
12-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Slick, I am so very sorry to hear about Speckles. I will keep you in my thoughts today. {{HUGS}}

Rest In Peace, Speckles. You wlll be missed.

cloverfdx
12-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Oh Slick i am shocked and so sorry :( {{Hugs}}. Rest easy Speckles, play nicely at the bridge.

furrykidsmother
12-21-2005, 07:50 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, I had so hoped you would have more time with her.

Cherish the memories you have, she knew how much you loved and still love her.

RIP Speckles.

Logan
12-21-2005, 09:30 AM
My dear friend, I guess that the reality of what has happened has hit you now. I'm so grateful to your vet that it was able to happen in your home, where Speckles was most comfortable. When we let Murphy go on Dec. 7, the hardest part was walking out of that room where she was lying. Too much finality for us. :(

Please know that our love and friendship are leaping across the miles towards you and Max.

Much love.
Logan

Lobodeb
12-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Aww, Slick. :(

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't add to what everyone else has said, and I know nothing will ease your pain, but hopefully, knowing one more person in praying for you will be some sort of comfort.

RIP, Speckles. Play hard at the bridge and tell my Velvet that I love and miss him.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))) )))))))

kimlovescats
12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
I know so well the horrible pain you are feeling, that goes to the very core of your being. Words cannot begin to help, but please know that I am thinking of you, and praying that soon the pain will ease. ((((HUGS)))

Kim :(