PDA

View Full Version : Chew Toys.

Caxis
12-12-2005, 09:53 PM
We have a young dog (Turned 3 in November) and he likes to chew. We have gotten him toys, but he destroys them in a few days. I was wondering if there are any REALLY long lasting chew toys. Thanks for the help ;O

CagneyDog
12-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Have you tried kong toys?

Caxis
12-13-2005, 12:33 AM
No, we haven't tried those.

.sarah
12-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Kong products are wonderful!

Also, Nylabones are really good for chewers. I have two Labs who can destroy anything with a few bites, and they *loooove* Nylabones! Just make sure that when you buy it you are buying the ones labeled "Durable", because they also make products for light chewers. They also have a line of edible bones but they are gone in 2 seconds flat with my girls. The Original "flavored" (it's not a flavor, really) Durable Nylabones are what we get. We have them all over the house so they can pick those up to chew on instead of the furniture or something. And they are completely safe if ingested. :)

finn's mom
12-13-2005, 01:49 AM
The only ones that my dog doesn't absolutely annihilate are Kongs. :) They're not cheap, but, get the right size (something the dog can't swallow) and it's so worth it!

tricollie4me
12-13-2005, 07:00 AM
We are huge fans of Kong toys and Nylabones (for strong chewers). Bijou is the kind of dog who will absolutely destroy stuffies and inexpensive rubber toys! We do get her rope toys made by Booda every so often because she loves to gnaw on them and throw them around and they do tend to last long enough to make them worth purchasing. I hate having to throw them away, though (once they've become frayed and she's started to chew off big bits of thread!) because I know she misses them when they're suddenly gone!

Here's her (current) favorite Nylabone (hers is the big one!):

http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/August05/10057_4ac87.jpg

We also have a little football Kong that we stuff with peanut butter and biscuits -- that's a fun little treat, and I never have to worry that she'll eventually munch the Kong itself, lol!

Have fun choosing something new!

Pembroke_Corgi
12-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Everyone has good suggestions! I get my dogs really tighly woven rope toys to chew, because if I leave any kind of plastic or rubber toy down Adele will chew it up and eat the pieces. They like the kind with big knots so they can chew on them!

Muddy4paws
12-13-2005, 06:56 PM
My lab will instantly destroy any toy you give her (apart from the Black kong we got her because she cant :p ) I would definatly reccomend the kong and nylabones - you can get them flavoured aswell

lv4dogs
12-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Here's a link to a thread that talks about durable toys : toys (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=89801&highlight=toys)

GoldenLuv
12-15-2005, 02:10 PM
kings are a god sake my two older dog's are power chewers and this is one toy that they still have after 5months

Suki Wingy
12-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Niņo's hard because he rejects toys that are too hard or too heavy.
Here is one I first saw a while back made by someone originally for their am staffs that distroyed everything

http://www.catsanddogspa.com/planetdogorbeetoys.html

Jadapit
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I have a pit bull. We got her one of the BIG Kongs. That thing is wonderful. She hasnt chewed it up at all. :)

Caxis
12-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, we got our dog a kong toy (Those are expensive!) and he's already broke it...

*LabLoverKEB*
12-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Youch, that's a bummer.... what color koong did you get him??? Try getting him the big black Kongs, because they are a lot more durable. Sorry to hear that he chewed the expensice Kong toy up.

.sarah
12-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Well, we got our dog a kong toy (Those are expensive!) and he's already broke it...
Try Nylabones. But, wow, your dog must be a really strong chewer to break the kong!