PDA

View Full Version : whos dogs are from petstores?

buttercup132
12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
just wondering thiunder is but that was WAY before i #1 could know about puppy mills and #2 i didnt have say...i would NEVER buy a dog from a pet store .

tz1
12-12-2005, 09:10 PM
not me...I got zero from a breeder...my next dog will probably be adopted or rescued.

animal_rescue
12-12-2005, 09:10 PM
My aunt got her IG from a Pet Store and Alex, my mini poodle, came directly from a puppy mill. Needless to say Alex has many issues.

edit: My aunt now fosters for an IG rescue and Alex was given to us because the puppy mill was closing down, we got him with 6 other poodles and found them all homes with the help of the humane society...

Vette
12-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Kirby didnt come from one either.. as the lady we got him off of knew what his parents looked like.

and bridge girl Muffin was also a resuce.

but my first Poodle. Tasha.. came from a pet store.
but i was only 5 or something at the time..

Jessika
12-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Charlie came from a breeder, and Jamie I'd adopted from an old co-worker of mine. But I believe Jamie's original owner purchased her from a breeder, since I have papers, but I didn't buy her.

Allecto
12-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Nope... all of mine have come from very good breeders, or straight from the street as strays/abandoned animals. Right now, it is split exactly 50-50.

slleipnir
12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Josie was. I now HATE that store and would love to see it burn to the ground if it didn't have poor animals in it :( I don't regret buying Josie...but the place is a puppy mill. I didn't know it at the time though

I adopted Zeke from the HS. I don't think I will ever buy another dog/cat from a pet store unless I feel really badly for it. I wish they would stop selling them in stores. It's not right.

CathyBogart
12-12-2005, 11:35 PM
All but one of the dogs I have had in my life are/were rescues. The first dog I had (I got him when I was 2) was from a friend whose "spayed" bitch had a litter. (It's rare, but it happens, though less often now than 20 years ago)

Jessika
12-12-2005, 11:39 PM
All but one of the dogs I have had in my life are/were rescues. The first dog I had (I got him when I was 2) was from a friend whose "spayed" bitch had a litter. (It's rare, but it happens, though less often now than 20 years ago)

I thought that was impossible, because when they perform a spay they remove the ENTIRE uteris??

.sarah
12-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Mandy is from the shelter and Luka is from the humane society. Nova is from a BYB because I didn't know better at the time. The next dog I'm getting is a Great Dane and I already have a breeder picked out. I would get a rescue, but puppies are much easier for Mandy to adjust to. Of course, this is probably over a year away (maybe even two years) and if Mandy has settled down by then I will *definetly* adopt. I'd always rescue before buying from a breeder so long as the situation permits.

elizabethann
12-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Fenway is a rescue from PA. He was found in a box on the side of a road with his brothers when they were puppies. He & his brothers were brought to a rescue organization in NH and I was lucky enough to be picked as his "Mum".

:)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/CosmoMaxie/beth029.jpg

anna_66
12-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Most of you around here know that Roxey is from a pet store, Bon is from a breeder and Huney was dumped in the country and we brought her home.

cloverfdx
12-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Our Theodore (Chihuahua) is a pet shop dog, never again though ;).

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/flyball/aaRosebud5.jpg
Little boy getting a feel for Agility, he is a smart little dog ;).

luvofallhorses
12-13-2005, 09:16 AM
None of my dogs were bought from a pet store. :)

LKPike
12-13-2005, 09:16 AM
we've never gotten doggies from pet stores, we DID get lots of smaller animals from pet stores up till 3-4 years ago. I got 2 bunnys from 2 different stores. very unfriendly, very unhealthy and kinda destructive. MUCH different from my bunny Butters now, whos from a good breeder. :)

IRescue452
12-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Both of mine from mills. We got Pepper before we knew much about mills.

JenBKR
12-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Roscoe's from a shelter. The only pets I have ever gotten from a petstore are fish :)

gemini9961
12-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Sadie and Maggie are from the petstore. I did not know at the time that petstores were bad. Grant is from the shelter. Sadie and Maggie have not had any problems thus far, hopefully they never will. I have papers on Sadie which has the sire and dam listed on there.

tricollie4me
12-13-2005, 10:50 AM
We adopted Bijou from a rural rescue after seeing her on Petfinder, and Bonnie, our first cat, was adopted from a shelter that has adoption days at Petsmart. Levi and Charity were fostered through a shelter and then we adopted them through the kitty adoption center that is housed at Petsmart.

We did purchase a pair of parakeets at a pet store - one lived for about five years, the other about seven years. They were healthy while we had them but they didn't quite live their full expected lifespan.

cyber-sibes
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Star and Sherman are both from breeders, my RB Rosie was from a humane society, but my kitty ChowChow was from a pet store. It was a really nice privately owned store that took really good care of their animals and didn't sell dogs & cats regularly - they were just helping out the kitty-owner. Although he did have some health problems, he did live to be almost 17!

ramanth
12-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Kia came from the Humane Society.
My grandma's dog, Bambi, came from a Pet Store. (much to my parents dis-approval)
My sister, Linn's dog, Seamus, came from a Walmart parking lot.
My sister, Jenn's dog, Sasha, came from the pound.

My Peanuts
12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Sylvia is from a pet store. W got her before we knew about puppy mills. I learned quickly after that and we adopted Harley a month and a half later because Sylvia was lonely and I felt guilty about getting her from a pet store. It makes me sick to think where her parents probably are right now. :(

Harley was adopted from a shelter, Morty was adopted from a foster home, and Jimmy was an abused stray I rescued on a trip to Tennessee to visit my ex's Grandpa. (Pa had been feeding him for 2 years and the neighbors were abusing Jimmy horribly but that’s a story for another thread)

buttercup132
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
aww i remember the story of jimmy

{{{{{My sister, Linn's dog, Seamus, came from a Walmart parking lot.}}}}}
aww can you tell me the story of that?

finn's mom
12-13-2005, 02:20 PM
I've never gotten a dog from a pet store, but, my ex and I did get our Bengal cat, Lock, from a pet store. Finn came from a breeder, not a mill. I'd say they were probably just a step up from backyard breeders, though.

k9krazee
12-13-2005, 02:28 PM
None of my dogs were pet store puppies...

Shadow I got from my Aunt...not sure where she got her from, most likely BYB though

Micki and Mini - BYB...I really didn't know much about backyard breeders at the time, and we suffer from it. Micki has problems up the wazoo :(

Kyra - Mini's puppy :( Couldn't convice the rents not to do it...my dad grew up thinking it was beneficial for female dogs to have one litter...they are "better dogs" :rolleyes: :(

Jack - Rescue, he was on his way to the shelter but an old man took him in and handed him over to a rescue instead and then we picked him up a month later.

pnance
12-13-2005, 02:35 PM
- Hunter came from a rescue group
- Savannah was a friend of friend who found her as a stray but couldn't keep her.
Bear and Nikka came from our ex next door neighbor, Nikka first followed by Bear.
My RB terrier X Sandy my mom got at the swap meet when I was in high school, I'm guessing he came from a backyard breeder.

ramanth
12-13-2005, 02:36 PM
{{{{{My sister, Linn's dog, Seamus, came from a Walmart parking lot.}}}}}
aww can you tell me the story of that?
She went to do some shopping and a woman was in the parking lot with a box full of puppies just giving them away for free. She wasn't too happy... from what Linn said, it was a litter from her sister's dog and after this little incident, she planned on having the dog fixed herself.

So Linn called her then fiance and asked about the puppy. Fiance drove out and they picked one out. He's a beagle, ACD, collie mix.

He's Kia's buddy:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_7452.jpg

finn's mom
12-13-2005, 02:38 PM
My sister, Linn's dog, Seamus, came from a Walmart parking lot.

I think I remember you mentioning that, lucky Seamus. ;) My niece got her kitten, Trout, the same way. From a box in front of Walmart. Her friend went in to shop and there were five or six...came out about an hour later, and Trout was the only one. So he called Robyn and then brought Trout to her. He's a great kitten, too! :)

ramanth
12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
:D Our family cat Chance came from a box in front of the small town grocery store I worked at. We had just lost Nike that same day and well...the news spread like wildfire. I saw the box of kittens on my way into work but the grief was too recent to really appreciate them. Just before my lunch break, a co-worker dropped a kitten in my hands (the last one in the box she said). He was obviously the runt of the litter. I loved Chance so much.

Onneka came from the same store parking lot too. I had just gotten off my shift and a kid rides up to me on his bike with this gray and white kitten saying his parents won't let him keep it and he didn't want it to die. Boy did he ever see a sucker. :rolleyes: :D I took it home and lied to my parents about where he came from. :o He's been a member of the family ever since.

lizbud
12-13-2005, 03:48 PM
All my dogs are either from a Shelter or Humane Society. I don't even
buy pet food from a pet store that sells dogs & cats.

Muddy4paws
12-13-2005, 06:52 PM
I got both of my dogs from BYB, thank god we havent had any bad experiences but we tried a well known rescue home near me and they didn't seem bothered to help so we opted for a puppy both times, The rescue home didnt seem too bothered in helping us find a dog each time we went there so we gave up in the end.

I think if I ever got another dog it would either be from a well known breeder or a adopted dog from a rescue but its pettalk that has made me think of adopting the next dog I will get!

Alysser
12-13-2005, 07:36 PM
AW! WHO WOULD EVER ABANDON HUNEY! That is so sad. .sarah I can't wait to see you great dane!

cali
12-13-2005, 07:54 PM
nope, my fammily has been into dogs a long time, and my moms side is full of breeders, so I have always known better, as have my parents etc..

Happy is from a sport breeder, terrable lyer that breeder is but there are no red flags at all untill you get to know her, she keeps in touch with all her puppy buyers etc.. contract, spay/neuter, etc.. it was not until Happy was around 2 years old that any bad breeder signs started to show up at all.

Ripley and perky are from the humane society

Blair is from the same breeder as Happy, we did not buy him though he was given to us for free.

Misty is from a cattle ranch in weyburn, they were planning to just spay Tia(Mistys mom) but the ladys cousin who works his border collie on a commercial cattle ranch, saw Tia work and wanted 2 Tia x Sweep pups, so they bred Tia for him, he picked his 2 puppys and the rest went to working farms, exept Misty, who was perfect for what we wanted. Tia is now spayed.

Kfamr
12-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Not mine. All three came from the shelter.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-14-2005, 08:07 AM
None of my dogs came from pet stores. My first rabbit came from a pet store. My mom and I went in to get some supplies for my cockatiel and we found a rabbit with a bum leg being sold. We knew he needed vet care and a special home so we took him. The owner of the pet store was trying to tell us there was nothing wrong with him, but it was obvious there was.

Someday (years down the road, I want to have kids first) I hope to open a pet store of my own. I want the pet store to also be a small animal rescue & adoption center, for birds, rabbits, rodents, and small reptiles. I also want to get cats from high-kill shelters and adopt them out. I wouldn't have them in cages, I'll have a large room with cat trees and beds for the cats to stay in until the become adopted. I'd also invite dog rescue organizations to come and adopt dogs out. I would never sell pets, just adopt rescued pets to good homes. I'll probably lose more money than I'll make, but it's my dream.

pitc9
12-14-2005, 08:45 AM
I adopted Sierra from a GSD rescue after finding her on PetFinder.
Buddy I saved from a Kill shelter after he was dumped in the woods.
Who in their right mind could dump this face off in the woods!??!?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid158/pfb6d439fc0d65e9642f626b1b4be351a/f51a29e2.jpg

Ginger's Mom
12-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Both of my girls were rescues. My first girl was an owner surrender (I knew someone who knew someone who was moving and couldn't take the dog-how lucky for me!), and Ginger was from Animal Relief Fund Rescue in Maryland.

Suki Wingy
12-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Nope! My parents were both well educated on that stuff, they had gone through it growing up themselves. My mom's beloved golden was from a BYBer and had to be jacked up on a drug to keep her from having sesures and had to have reocurring tumors on her head removed all the time. Other than that they had gotten farm dogs mostly good and my grandma and grandpa;s first dog was a 1/2 Akita names Lucy they rescued when they lived in Japan all the way back in the 60s. Her picture belongs in a book, she was the typical japenese mix, beautiful and smart as a whip.
My stepdad went through multiple horrible neurotic pet store/farm dogs growing up and just wanted a mutt, preferably one that natural selection would have made smart and healthy.
Clark was from a rescue, Layla and Niño from the same shelter, a VERY good one www.anticruelty.org over 100 years old.
Oslo was from a very reputable breeder in Minnesota.
Tigger was from a nasty litte pet store but it is REALLY hard to find healthy Schneider's skinks around here, there wasn't ONE at the giant herp converntion/show this year. There have been like 2 in petsmart ever and I only know of one breeder in this country, they are very agressive and hard to breed, most of the rest (probably including Tigger) are wildcaught.

MyLittleMutt
12-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Samantha- I found a ad in the paper for Aussie mix puppies. The puppies mother had been ran over. I felt really badly about her mom,so I decided I wanted give her a home.

The Shih Tzu puppy I am getting. I found an ad online. A lady got two Shih Tzu from a person was not taking care of them. After she brought them home, she found out the female was pregnant. She was trying find a home for the puppies.