PDA

View Full Version : A thought about purring

Logan
04-03-2002, 10:43 AM
I saw this quote in a message at another cat site. I thought it was lovely, so I'm sharing it here.
" They purr to signal a relaxed mood, and their purring may also help relax them and those around them who feel and hear their purring -like getting a nice massage in sound."

By: Michael W. Fox, DVM

I especially like the last part where it says

"like getting a nice massage in sound"

Isn't that a lovely thought? And so true!! :)

Former User
04-03-2002, 10:53 AM
Logan, that's a quote, and so true!

LoudLou
04-03-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Logan
"like getting a nice massage in sound"

My Husband, loves it when The Beans come to bed with us because it's as if they sprinkle "Sleepy Dust" on you and ya fall asleep faster. My husband likes to be PuRRRed to sleep. His Mocha Bean will make him fall asleep anytime, anywhere.

sirocco
04-03-2002, 11:37 AM
I can't agree more! I love the thought and the words ... a nice massage in sound

I've recently adopted another cat (full story here (not complete yet!) (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9179) ;) ) and it was very stressing and heartbreaking to witness a scared cat who couldn't recognize home anymore! :( But the first night he slept in bed and purred for the first time the very next morning! It made me SO HAPPY!!! :D I reckon there are lots of distressing things out there - enjoying the few that make us happy and better is something we shouldn't miss!!

Nita

P.S.: I just love that photo, LoudLou!

wolflady
04-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Yes! I like that phrase...a nice massage in sound. It is soooo true, and I just love it when I have a purring cat on my lap or in bed next to me. It really is relaxing!!:D

LoudLou...Love the pic!:D

Randi
04-03-2002, 11:53 AM
LoudLou! A great picture. They're definately enjoying it! :D

Nita! I'm glad it's over with the moving, hope Neelix and Sirocco will enjoy the new place! Looking forward to hear more! ;)

Yes, isn't it relaxing when a cat purrs! :) I have always thought that they did it only when they're feeling good, but I read that, that's not the case. I posted a thread some time ago on the same subject.

Here's my post:

I'm sure we all enjoy our cats purring - but do we know why they do it?

According to Mr. Desmond Morris (a writer) they are telling us that they are
NOT DANGEROUS AT THE MOMENT!

We probably all like to think that they do it, because they're having such a great time laying on us tame can openers - but NO! That's not the whole explanation. I'm sure it's part of it, but have you noticed that cats also purr when they're very sick?? Fister's mum purred loadly the day she died, but she could not even eat a delicious scrimp from Greenland!

jennifert
04-03-2002, 11:57 AM
I have to stop reading on the cat board!! I want to be be purred to sleep {pout, pout}....

Stenograsaurus
04-03-2002, 01:20 PM
My cat, Misty, loves to lay by my head when I'm sleeping at night. I always sleep so much better with her there. And she never moves all night. No matter how many times I wake up during the night, she's always in the same place. And she loves to walk on my chest and plop right down on it. No matter how hectic the day is, her purring can always relax me.

purrley
04-03-2002, 01:30 PM
What a wonderful way to put the sound of a purring kitty. My babies purrs are just like a sleeping pill to me. Don't know what I'd do without that sweet sound. I think when God wanted to create the sweetest sound in the world - that's how the kitty purr happened:) :)

yorkster
04-03-2002, 05:20 PM
That's a great quote Logan! Thanks for sharing.:D

I know I sleep better with my kitties there purring.

Harley
04-03-2002, 06:47 PM
I've often wondered why the music of purrs are never included in any type of relaxation sound gadget. Ocean sounds, babbling brooks, soft rains are all wonderful - but where is the relaxing, therapeutic sound purring?!

I think it's interesting how each of my 3 kitties' purrs are unique. Bo has that deep, loud, rumbling purr that only a big, easy-going male could have. I think just being awake causes Bo to purr. Trixie seldom purrs and when she does, it's a delicate, silent, happy purr. You only know if she's purring by feeling her throat. Jazz has an easy purr that starts and stops quickly. She's my lullaby at night and my alarm clock in the morning. BeeBee(Rainbow Bridge) was a purrbaby but NEVER when anyone was around - she had social problems with other people - so her purr was very personal between the two of us. What about others of you who have been blessed with multiple cats in your lives? Do you find that individual cats have their own purr personalities?

Logan
04-04-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Harley
I've often wondered why the music of purrs are never included in any type of relaxation sound gadget. Ocean sounds, babbling brooks, soft rains are all wonderful - but where is the relaxing, therapeutic sound purring?! ?

Harley, maybe you're on to something! Perhaps you could patent the first "purr" machine....although I have to say that the vibration and furry kitty together with the sound would still be the most soothing way to enjoy purring.

I wish my Butter would purr more. On the rare occasion that he gets in my lap, I can feel his purr more than hear it. Mimi, on the other hand LOVES to purr. And she is loud and clear about it when she does. There is never a doubt! :D

Lachesis
04-04-2002, 10:25 AM
My 2 girls sound alike but my male... holey cow!! I think he'd have a "bass voice" if he spoke... like Barry White listening to his purr :D Serious!!! He purr is amazing...

David_M
04-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Yes, that is definitely true for me. When Meow-Meow purrs, I feel relaxed and laugh because I can make her purr so easily. Her purrs also put me from a bad mood to a good mood-it's magic!