PDA

View Full Version : Pet Store Speech

animal_rescue
12-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Anyone want to give me a hand with my pet store puppy speech. If you have any articles or visuals I could use, please let me know...
also here's the beginning of my speech. Let me know what you think! I'll post the rest when I'm done.

Persuasive Speech

How much is that doggie in the window? You all know that song, the one about the adorable doggie in the pet store. You buy that sweet doggie with the adorable eyes, hey he was half off. But really that doggie in the window is much more than you think. What’s the price for many sleepless nights, for a puppy with an incurable disease, for watching that puppy die in pain?
What’s the price for heartbreak?

.sarah
12-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Is the speech strictly on pet store puppies or also on BYBs and puppy mills? (I know they kind of go hand-in-hand but I wasn't sure if you were going to go into detail about them, or just focus more on the pet store.)

BTW I love the beginning!

animal_rescue
12-11-2005, 07:34 PM
I'll also be mentioning puppy mills and BYBs.

CagneyDog
12-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Wow the begining is awesome. I dont have anything to add but can you post it when it's all done? I'd love to read it!

.sarah
Well, I could tell you my personal experience with a BYB (Nova is from one). Although, it's not very exciting lol. She just has really bad allergies -- recurring rashes and ear infections. They are uncomfortable for her and cost us lots of money. We've already spent way more on her in vet bills than we ever would have if we just spent the $800 up front to get a well-bred dog, and we've only had her for 7 months. We didn't know any better, though, and either way she is still the light of my life :)

I know of some real horror stories with Puppy mills. I'll try to find them and post them for you. I may not have saved them, though.

Flatcoatluver
That speech is great, i don't have suggestion but i have to say its great!!!

tz1
12-11-2005, 07:44 PM
check this article out...a specific case, but like many others. extremely heartwrenching..

http://www.meanstreak.biz/meanstreak/spartan.html

animal_rescue
12-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Oh that's so sad! I'm e-mailing them and asking if I could use Spartan's story. Can anyone tell me what I should say(well not exactly to say) about why "your topic apply's to your audience"?

tz1
12-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Just tell them the truth I'm sure they'd be happy to help in any way possible :)

Vette
12-12-2005, 05:47 AM
This is a case ill never forget.. and brough major tears to my eyes.

http://www.dachshund.org/puppymill_aussistory.html

Vela
12-12-2005, 06:25 AM
I have no word for what I just read...I'm physically ill. To that dog, who endurd so much, I am so truly sorry. I can hardly see through the tears, and I couldn't bring myself to look at the pictures. I really really wish I could go back and not have read that above link. For anyone without a very strong stomach, be forewarned.

buttercup132
12-12-2005, 06:48 AM
you should some how explain that people may think that buying a puppy from a pet store is saving it but your still contributing to puppy mills.
good luck

animal_rescue
12-12-2005, 02:53 PM
you should some how explain that people may think that buying a puppy from a pet store is saving it but your still contributing to puppy mills.
good luck

I'm going to try!

The lady said I could use Spartan's story!

tz1
12-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Really, no words to describe the tragedy ... ...damn... :mad: :(

lv4dogs
12-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Good luck on your speech.
I love the begining! I too would love to read it when you've got it completed.

cyber-sibes
12-12-2005, 06:56 PM
A great begining, keep working on it.
Vette, the story you linked to is SO unbelievably horrible. Horrible isn't even a good enough word, I just don't know what else to say -- Criminal, cruel, insane, callous, heartwrentching, damnable.....etc. & so on and so on. That poor dog. NO DOG deserves to be ignored like that- I don't know how anyone COULD ignore a dog to that extent. I hope there is karmic justice and someday that breeder get theirs. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I'm gonna go hug my furkids.

animal_rescue
12-13-2005, 09:10 PM
How much is that doggie in the window? You all know that song, the one about the adorable doggie in the pet store. You buy that sweet doggie with the adorable eyes, hey he was half off. But really that doggie in the window is much more than you think. What’s the price for many sleepless nights, for a puppy with an incurable disease, for watching that puppy die in pain?
What’s the price for heartbreak?

Pet stores should not sell pets, because the store owners are not responsible, they don’t care about them going to good homes just getting the money and if they puppies are to old to sell, then they either kill them, dump them, send them back, or on occasion send them to a rescue.

My personal experience with a pet store is that of the time I visited a Pet Store in Terra Houte.
The first time you walk in the door the smell or urine and feces hits you as you're lured to the back of the store by the plaintive cries of the puppies crowded together in pens, away from the flow of traffic. The two employees are frazzled by their responsibilities and have no time to do more than provide the most minimal care for the dogs, as evidenced by the fact that most are sick and all smell horrid.
My aunt said it was the most heartbreaking thing and she wished she could have saved the puppies from a crummy life.

what I have so far.... I feel like in more of a convo than a speech though anyone have advice? My next body areas will be on Spartan and Puppy Mills/BYB's.

animal_rescue
12-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Also I would like to add somewhere in there that the lady who owned the store was later arrested as they found an IG puppy dead behind their dumpster and all the puppies dissapeared! The lady refused to say who she sold them too.. so I'm off to ponder how to word this and see what I did wrong.

animal_rescue
12-14-2005, 07:08 PM
aww look at this video I found
http://www.hua.org/PrisonersofGreedweb.mov
it's about Puppy Mills