PDA

View Full Version : is your dog...

tz1
12-11-2005, 07:22 PM
well RobiLee's thread got me thinking, about how unusually clingy her dog was when it was sick. I was just wondering, what kind of dog do you have...the type of dog that will stay near you like glue, or the type that wanders more, and is more independent?

for example: zero , he is very independent. he really doesn't like to be held or snuggled or anything. he hates being on the bed or on furniture. he actually likes to sleep downstairs...he started doing this around 5-6 months old...he will sleep in front of the front door. we have two entrances in our house and the front door really is the center of the house....so i'm guessing it's because he knows that's the only way someone can enter the house , to go through him.

also, there is a couch in front of the window so you can look out in the front yard. you can see who is at the door..whenever a car pulls up, he jumps out on the couch and looks who is there, sticking his head through the blinds...I'll get a picture of that for you pt'ers...cracks me up honesty :D :D

.sarah
12-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Mandy used to be very clingy but within the past few years she has turned more into the b*tch title we all know so well ;) hehe. She's very independant now and wants barely anything to do with us. It kind of breaks my heart, because she was always my best friend, but if she's happy, I'm happy :)

Nova is slightly clingy. She gets so excited when anyone comes home and has a sad look on her face when we leave. She generally follows me around the house but she is also a little independant and will do what she wants. I don't allow it a lot, though, because she still chews everything in sight.

Luka is extremely clingy. I love it yet hate it. Sometimes I just want my own space :o But mostly I love it because I always have a doggie with me. And she is just so sweet.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-11-2005, 07:33 PM
The Dobermans and Tia are both very clingy. The Tollers like to be near you but they don't enjoy cuddling at all or anything, they prefer to lay on the floor by themselves. I think it's because they get hot easily though because of their thick coats.

tz1
12-11-2005, 07:35 PM
well , after reading yours, i suppose I should clarify. Zero is independent in the aspect that he doesn't like to be held or put on the bed , etc. Whereas my friend's pitbull Rex (who is so adorable it's not even funny) will jump on my friend's lap while he's on the keyboard and fall asleep.

But zero does like belly rubs :D And loves to be exercised, he really does love human companionship. he will follow me around if he knows 1 of 2 things: i'm getting something to eat, or i'm going to walk him or play with him in the backyard. :) BUT, he will literally run away if he knows I want to pick him up to snuggle him...(this is actually hilarious, i'm the only one in my family who can still pick him up and he hates it...he looks so helpless and puts his pathetic face on lol) gotta get a picture of that too...

finn's mom
12-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Finn hasn't been sick, yet, thank goodness. So, I'm not sure. But, I've noticed he is very watchful of me when I am. ;) It was so cute...I have been off and on with this congestion and cough and sinus crap...he's usually right next to me...but, when he is downstairs, if I have a sneezing or coughing episode, he races up the stairs to see if I'm all right. :)

CagneyDog
12-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Cagney is pretty independent but when I'm sick he is always right by my side. :)

KYS
12-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Sheba in her younger days, was very independent.
She always liked to be in the same room as people,
but she liked her space.
She would actually get up and
move away if we or any of the dogs laid down
right next to her. She was always very sweet tempered, loved to play
and be petted but not cuddled.
After we got rocky she actually got more affectionate.
Rocky is the only dog she allowed to sleep next to her.

Rocky is the opposite and is a BIG BABY and low energy.
He is not independent.
He loves touchy attention and does not like to be alone.
He is very social with people and animals he knows.
If I am on the floor he will practically sit in my lap.
He is also a in your face kind of dog.
He loves to snuggle and I sometimes use
him as my pillow when I am watching T.V.

(neither dog stays with me like glue)

Giselle
12-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Giselle had mild Separation Anxiety, so I suppose you could label her "clingy". She's very touch-orientated and demands to be touching you someway somehow. Like .Sarah, I love and hate it. I hate that she must stick her nose through the bathroom door and stare at me. I hate that she'll whine if I lock myself in a room. I hate how she used to terrorize the house when I left. However, I know that she does it all because she loves me, and I love the feeling of being wanted and needed. :)

OTOH, dogs naturally do not want to be disturbed when they're sick. Lucky is naturally VERY independant (he's a Peke!) and does not like to be held or fussed over. When he is sick, and he's sick very often, he chooses to be even further away from the pack. One time when he had chronic diarrhea, I literally could not find him anywhere. I checked his crate, the bedrooms, under the tables, I searched every inch of the yard, and I still could not find him. At one point, I almost considered calling the SPCA to see if they had found a Pekingese. Then, in pure despair, I searched the garage, and there was Lucky, tucked neatly behind dirty cans and garbage. But don't worry, folks, he's doing fabulously now :)

Toby's my baby
12-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Autumn and Maggie are both sort of "clingy". Autumn will follow me all over the house, and lays at my feet when I stop walking, but if I go into my room, and she falls asleep on my bed and i leave, she just stays there, she doesnt get up and follow me if I leave the room. Thats the way Maggie is too. But Boo, boo is completely independent, and only likes to be pet once in awhile :)

wolfie
12-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Daphne is independent. She doesn't like to cuddle or anything. And if we have a party at night, she actually goes and "puts herself to bed" in another room.

poofy
12-11-2005, 11:24 PM
sammyj and yollie both go where I go, and sit where I sit..lol..and yollie trys to use the keyboard..I took a video outside usually when i call they come right then this time they kept running the video ran out and i did one of them coming back..it was funny here i am calling and they are just running around the drive..lol..Im glad they love to be by me even in the bed they are both there..yollie up on the pillow and sammyj next to me..they are so sweet..Im so glad i have them.. :) http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/Animation2.gif

IRescue452
12-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Autumn usually follows me or at least makes sure she knows where I am before going into another room. She's always with me, my mom, or my sisters, never off on her own. Pepper was always on the same floor of the house, but as soon as she found a place to lay down she didn't care if you went into another room.

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Tikeya is stuck to me like glue.
she is always 10ft or closer.
she sleeps in my room, lays on the bathroom floor while i shower.
she doesnt even wander very far before coming back to me when outdoors.