PDA

View Full Version : someone accidentally left the freezer door open....

carole
12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Yep we had just bought all the groceries and filled up the freezer, actually it was too full and overloaded, it is the kind with baskets,and it is easy for it to be left slightly ajar and not be noticed, (which i hate,) when i got up this morning, everything was de-frosted and ruined, luckily the meat we had bought steak and prime mince was not frozen when we got it , so they will be ok and my father had given us some lamb chops and roasts which were ok, but everything else i had to throw away, just what one does not need extra food money to go out near xmas time.

Can anyone tell me if you can re-freeze oven chips, they were completely de-frosted, can you re-freeze them and use them or are they throw away as well.

Of course no-one here is to blame, it is that dam gremlin that lives in my house and does all these type of things. LOL oh well i guess one just has to look on the bright side, at least some of it was salvaged. :)

I must also mention that my kitties and the neighbours kitties will do well out of this, i had some lovely little chicken loins in there which i cannot use tonight as i have the other chicken to use up in a stirfry, so guess who is eating luxury tonight, all of them, they will love that for a treat, Ash is used to it, but the others are not, bet they will enjoy it, an early xmas present for them eh? :D see something good came out of something not so good. ;)

moosmom
12-11-2005, 04:10 PM
I must also mention that my kitties and the neighbours kitties will do well out of this, i had some lovely little chicken loins in there which i cannot use tonight as i have the other chicken to use up in a stirfry, so guess who is eating luxury tonight, all of them, they will love that for a treat, Ash is used to it, but the others are not, bet they will enjoy it, an early xmas present for them eh? see something good came out of something not so good.

That's my girl!! Now THOSE are words spoken by a TRUE animal lover! That's gonna be a great treat for them!! They are so lucky to have you!

G535
12-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Yes it was the cat god who left it open, he thought it was time for some treats for the cats! :)

Cinder & Smoke
12-11-2005, 04:19 PM
... everything was de-frosted and ruined ...

Can anyone tell me if you can re-freeze oven chips,
they were completely de-frosted,
can you re-freeze them and use them or are they throw away as well.

I can remember bck in the "Old Daze" when we used to loose power at the house
for long enought to allow the fridge's freezer to warm up and thaw everything.

As soon as the power came back on, Mom would start a frantic round of
COOK everything that thawed!

Pot roast in the pressre cooker on a burner;
Chops under the broiler;
Hamburgs on another burner;
And something going in the crock pot!

Once everything was cooked;
she'd refrigerate some things to use in a day or two - and
FREEZE some things AFTER they were cooked.

I always thought the rule was:

* Freeze raw meat ONE time
* Cook it immediately if it thawed
* "OK" to RE-Freeze a COOKED meat ONE more time AFTER it was cooked

Any "good cooks" out there know for sure??

:confused:

Corinna
12-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I thought I was the only one with that "Dam Gremblin" He is always accompamed by "not Me" Sorry to hear of your delemma happy cats though.

poofy
12-11-2005, 04:55 PM
sounds like some full kitties..lol..lol.

Craftlady
12-11-2005, 04:57 PM
I always thought the rule was:

* "OK" to RE-Freeze a COOKED meat ONE more time AFTER it was cooked

Any "good cooks" out there know for sure??

:confused:

Yes, to the above.
For example, you make spaggetti sauce there is extra/leftovers. It can be freezed. Same thing for chili. Also, turkey leftovers can be frozen. Just few examples off top of my head.

I would NOT refreeze a cooked meat that was thawed out after being frozen.

carole
12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey there is always a silver lining in every black cloud so the saying goes, well something along those lines, if you get my drift, yep some happy full bellies for the neighbourhood kitties, Ash has already had two small portions and seems very satisfied now sunbathing himself in all his glory on the verandah.

It is not as bad as I first thought, maybe around 25-30 dollars of food wasted, not much we can do about it now, but it could have been worse, the expensive cuts of meat had not been frozen so will be ok, i decided to throw the oven chips out and get new ones, to be on the safe side.

I reckon that gremlin is around in every household :D they breed like flies. :)