PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Eastwood Great Danes

Vela
12-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. The picture in my post is of Heidi (aka) (Eastwoods Addelaide V Kohinoor). She is about 15 months old in that picture and is starting her show career. She was bred by me and is owned and loved by Melanie Chaput of Kohinoor Great Danes and Co-owned by Pat Gorney of Fireside Danes.
I have an arsenal of info and always 100% of the time share that info with my people and who ever else wants to listen to what I have learned on those subjects. One of the things I love most about being in Danes is talking about them and every other aspect of owning and caring for a Dane properly. :cool:

Kim E.

I just thought it would be nice to have a clean thread where we could all enjoy talking about and looking at the gorgeous danes without anything unpleasant.

So welcome Kim, can't wait to see more pictures and hear some great stories of how well your babies are doing.

CagneyDog
12-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Kim!

I look forward to seeing some more pictures of your danes :)

Kfamr
12-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Welcome Kim - I hope you stick around. Danes are one of my favorites. Many people have said that my Nala looks part Dane. Who knows though!

Here are my 3 - The Muttlies - Simba, Kiara, & Nala. :) My name is Kay and we reside in Florida.
http://petevents.com/~simba/Post8-29-2005/13.jpg

animal_rescue
12-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Welcome Eastwood Danes, your babies are beautiful!

AllAmericanPUP
12-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Welcome!!
It's nice to see a responsible dane breeder :D
I'd love to own a dane in a couple years..mine will be a rescue though....sure do love the breed!

chocolatepuppy
12-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! :D

xParisx
12-11-2005, 04:58 PM
welcome to PT kim! x even though you joined PT under nasty circumstances from lute, i hope you stick around- we would love to hear more about your dogs. :D x

finn's mom
12-11-2005, 05:17 PM
The picture you posted of your blue dane is beautiful. That's a breed I've always loved, and, have always wanted to get to know better. Who knows, maybe Finn will have a little BIG brother or sister one day. ;) Welcome to Pet Talk, I hope you'll be able to find the time to post in here often. I'm Kari, by the way, and, my lab will be two on Christmas Eve. His name's Finn.

Vela
12-11-2005, 05:52 PM
For anyone posting here please lets not post about the other circumstances of why Kim found her way here and just be glad she's here with so much information for us to enjoy. I would just really like to keep this a nice thread with nothing bad said about anyone=) Thanks!

.sarah
12-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Welcome Kim! I'm really glad you joined us here and I hope you stick around :)

I'll be getting a Dane within the next two years, a fawn most likely, so it's really exciting for me especially to have you here! Your dogs are so beautiful :D

luvofallhorses
12-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Welcome! :) I must have missed pictures of your danes.. :o May I request some pictures, please? :)

.sarah
12-11-2005, 07:09 PM
I was just looking in the members, and her username is not on there :confused:

CagneyDog
12-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I was just looking in the members, and her username is not on there

I noticed that too....hmmm.

.sarah
12-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Lute's "I'm leaving" thread is also gone, and that was I believe the only thread she posted in. With the thread being deleted would it delete her membership too?

tz1
12-11-2005, 07:25 PM
I dont think it would delete her membership, though I'm not sure....

confusing huh :confused:

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Maybe your username won't show up in the member list until you've made atleast one post....

Anyway, Welcome to Pet Talk! I hope you'll decide to stick around and post some pictures of your beautiful Danes :)

CagneyDog
12-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I think that might be it, there is no one on the membership list with 0 posts.

sammy101
12-11-2005, 07:34 PM
she did post :confused: She hasnt made threads though.
Welcome to PT anyways! :)

.sarah
12-11-2005, 07:35 PM
she did post :confused: She hasnt made threads though.
Welcome to PT anyways! :)
But when Lute's thread was deleted all of her posts were deleted because that's the only thread she posted in.

sammy101
12-11-2005, 07:36 PM
oh ok :o lol sorry

Again Welcome to pt!Great Danes are one of my favourite breeds so i hope to learn more about your danes. :)

poofy
12-11-2005, 07:36 PM
BIG WELCOME..KIM.. danes are a beautiful breed and so loving..my sister in law rescued a 15 year old last mo..they wanted to put her down because she didnt get around as much as they thought she should so Robin, who works for aniaml hospital, said ill take her along with all the others she has rescued there..and the dane sleeps with her girls and just loves to be loved she wants it all the time..and they love her very much.. :)

Vela
12-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Sorry if anyone is confused, she has never started a thread and many were welcoming her in that other negative thread, so I quoted her from there and made a new one so that thread could die off. I'm hoping she sticks around as having a Dane breeder would be great, they are such cool dogs.

.sarah
12-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Sorry if anyone is confused, she has never started a thread and many were welcoming her in that other negative thread, so I quoted her from there and made a new one so that thread could die off. I'm hoping she sticks around as having a Dane breeder would be great, they are such cool dogs.
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Suki Wingy
12-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Welcome! Danes are one of my favorite breeds. I have one Mixed breed best guess ACD/ pit mix (tickmarked) named Niño who is in my sig. I also have a lizard and a rabbit who looks just like my avatar but he is pure white, not cream. (He's a himi, all himalayans are white due to the albinism.

shais_mom
12-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Welcome!
Unfortunately I missed the pics of your Danes but I hope you will post them again!

Oggyflute
12-12-2005, 04:08 AM
G'day Kim, & welcome. :)

MyLittleMutt
12-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Welcome! :)

lv4dogs
12-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Welcome.

I must of missed the drama (from what I have read I gather something happened). I'm sorry you had to experience that. Usually we are just one big happy family... or at least we try hard to be.

Hope you give us another shot. :)

cyber-sibes
12-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I do hope she'll re-post a picture of her dane - she was gorgeous!!!
*edit - I looked up the Eastwood website & sent her a link to this post, just so she knows about it. Hope we hear from her! *fingers crossed*

Flatcoatluver
12-12-2005, 10:44 AM
welcome!!!!!! :D

Eastwood Great Danes
12-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Thank You all so much for the warm welcome! I did not realize a new thread had been started. I have been very busy here with the dogs and with my dog bed business. Christmas orders are piling up! I belong to several groups and try to spend some time on all of them. Mostly reading.
Here is the picture of Heidi as requested.
Thanks again!

Flatcoatluver
12-12-2005, 11:21 AM
omg your dog is so gorgeus!!! the most gorgeus great dane i have ever seen!

Eastwood Great Danes
12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Yah, she is not put together to bad is she ;) I am extremely proud to be her breeder. :D

xParisx
12-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Shes beautiful! I love that colour danes. ;) :D x

Jadapit
12-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Welcome to PT! What a beautiful great dane!! :)

Suki Wingy
12-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I have a little question, I think the mantle color is heterozygous, so how common do you get someting like a fawn or blue mantle If you are breeding mantles to fawn and blue? I was just wondering because my favorite colors tend to be fawn, mantle, blue, and brindle.

Eastwood Great Danes
12-12-2005, 01:06 PM
You don't breed mantles to fawns or blues. So the answer is never if you don't cross color breed. I am not real savvy on Harl color genetics but only back yard breeders would do such a breeding in the first place. You can not get a fawn out of a Harl. You can get what is referred to as fawniquins (fawn patches instead of black) but a Harl or mantle can not produce a true fawn. A Harl that carries the blue gene then bred to a blue or a black carrying for blue could produce a blue. But again, those types of breedings are not done often or as the norm. The color code for breeding Danes can be found at www.gdca.org

finn's mom
12-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Wow, there's the picture I remember seeing. She's stellar.

k9krazee
12-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Welcome Kim!! Your Danes are gorgeous!!!! :D

buttercup132
12-12-2005, 02:57 PM
oo im so excited a real dane breeder to talk to!!! dose this mean we get to see little dane puppies growing up!!!??

tz1
12-12-2005, 03:19 PM
amazing looking dog :eek:

Suki Wingy
12-12-2005, 05:54 PM
thanks so much! I know only dal genetics as that is "my" breed.

K9karen
12-13-2005, 12:48 AM
I had never had the opportunity to met a Dane, until one day, while in a local optical store, sitting on a stool, waiting my turn, a couple walked in with their handsome Dane. Being a dog magnet, and proud of it, while other customers looked shocked and intimidated, the beauty pranced over to me and slobbered me with kisses! Of course, I recipricated and cooed and awwww'ed and made a great new friend. His owners were fabulous but had a hard time getting him away from me! I could have loved him all day!. Turns out, shortly afterwards, someone moved into the neighborhood with a black Dane and once again, I had the pleasure of kisses and friendliness! What a wonderful breed!

.sarah
12-13-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm so glad you decided to stick around! :D

Your girl is absolutely beautiful. I usually am not too fond of the blue Danes because I always see the ones who are built very broad -- almost shapeless. She is a wonderful looking girl, makes me fall in love with the breed all over again!

I was checking out your website yesterday and noticed the new pictures of fawn Danes (or at least I didn't see them a few weeks ago). Are you still breeding fawns or is blue your main focus now?

Eastwood Great Danes
12-13-2005, 11:22 AM
I am focusing on Blacks and Blues now. The pictures of the fawns have been up on my site for a long time. :)

IRescue452
12-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Beautiful dogs. I like that I see some natural eared dogs on the website. You obviously aren't too afraid to keep a few natural dogs dispite cropping being preferred in the show dog world. Do you show any natural danes? I have to say that the page on feeding turned me further off BARF diets. I'll cook my dog's meat thank you. What would be your take on feeding cooked meat as compared to raw?

ramanth
12-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Welcome Kim from another Kim. :D
Great Danes are so adorable. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your crew. :D

Lobodeb
12-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Welcome to PT!

My Dane experience is very limited, but as long as its a dog, I'm in love.

Here is a pic of my co-workers Dane, Gannon
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/Lobodeb/SickBabyGannon.jpg

Eastwood Great Danes
12-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks for sharing the picture of Gannon. That is really cute!

My take on feeding cooked meat over raw food is that you cook many of the nutrients out. The nutrients are cooked completely out of the meat when it goes into kibble. Cooked and cooked, then the moisture squeezed out and turned into powder so that it will go through the extruder machines that make the little crunchy balls. But that is a whole nuther subject...
Anyway, dogs are meant to eat raw meaty bones from a variety of animals. You can not feed a dog cooked bones because they change density and can splinter. Raw bones do not. Feeding a cooked meat diet would be very lacking in essential vitamins and minerals. Where would the calcium, phosphorus, manganese and other stuff come from? Those things are in the bone and in the best form available.
What exactly on my site turned you off raw food? Was it the picture of Stoli eating the piglet? Many people are offended by that photo. That is not a normal part of our dogs diet. It was a bonus we got from the butcher and the dogs loved it! lol
The diet I feed my dogs is not BARF. We prefer to just call it raw feeding. We don't do veggies and fruits and all that stuff that is in the so called barf diet as written by Ian Billinghurst. He is a whack job if you ask me! :eek:
Anyway, the raw diet is easy to feed. The poop turns to powder and blows away in a few days :D Fleas and ticks are no longer interested in our dogs so I don't have to put chemicals on them every month. We just love it and I could never go back to kibble.
We have been discussing this 'bird flu' that has been on the news a lot lately and I am not sure how I will feed if I have to take chicken out of the diet. I use that at least 3 times a week because it is easy to get and its cheap! But going back to kibble still wouldn't be an option for me if I could no longer feed 'bird'. And I am pretty sure all the killed sick chickens would end up in pet food anyway. :mad:

.sarah
12-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Fleas and ticks are no longer interested in our dogs so I don't have to put chemicals on them every month. We just love it and I could never go back to kibble.
Wow, I've never heard that! Is there something in kibble that attracts fleas?

I've been wanting to switch to raw, although I have a few worries. I read on a few different websites that if there are problems that arise from it it is usually something underlying that was there before you started feeding raw. Mandy is nearly 8 years old, and although she's very healthy (except for 4 extra lbs) I'm extremely worried about switching her in case there is an underlying problem. I know it's probably rare, but she is just getting old and I don't want to risk anything.

Also, Nova and Mandy have allergies. When we took them off of kibble with red meat & birds they got better. They are now on fish. I don't know if it's actually the meat or if it was the food we were feeding before. They still get ear infections every now and then, though, and so I'm starting to wonder if they're allergic to a grain in their food (although they're on a premium food so it doesn't have much grain. Luka's has no grain and I've thought about trying them on that to see if it is in fact a grain allergy). Annnyways, have you ever heard of anyone feeding only fish? Do you ever feed fish?

IRescue452
12-13-2005, 07:18 PM
I think its the messiness and blood that gets to me. Having to feed the dogs outside so they don't make a mess. I'm sure with enough variety that a diet with cooked meat could still have plenty of nutrients. Steaming the meat keeps the nutrients in too. Plain yogurt provides enzymes and phosphorus. Egg yolks and kelp, rice and cranberries, provide manganese. I'm going to be getting Autumn into more of a working dog's meal. She loves carrots, too. I don't think its crazy to add those into the meals if the dogs like the stuff. Carrots provide plenty in nutrients. They help keep the teeth clean too. I wouldn't worry much about this bird flu. The regular flu kills 36,000 people a year in America alone and since 2001 the bird flu has only killed 56 altogether. Not much of a threat if you ask me.
-Sarah-Only fish, what the working dogs of the northern coast were fed on most of the year before kibble came along-fish pieces.

.sarah
12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
-Sarah-Only fish, what the working dogs of the northern coast were fed on most of the year before kibble came along-fish pieces.
Thanks :) I know they'd enjoy it -- fish is their favorite!

AllAmericanPUP
12-13-2005, 08:47 PM
I dont see any health testing on your website..or maybe i missed it
Do you health test your dogs for hips, elbows, patellas, thyroid, etc. ?

anna_66
12-13-2005, 08:53 PM
My name is Anna and I'm owned by these three sweeties
(L-R:Huney-Chow, Bon-Mastiff and Roxey-Siberian Husky).
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid194/pbaea643fb705d2de907557a34aeaca09/f1741a4e.jpg
I've been looking over your site tonight and what beauties you have.
I've always loved Danes, they are such regal creatures.
I hope more to see more pictures from you sometime:)

AllAmericanPUP
12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
maybe you can help me with my black lab/great pyrenees mix.
her coat is dry yet greasy and her skin is dry and itchy.....i dont know if she has allergies(dont have the money to test right now but when i give her benadryl it doesnt really help her so i dont think its allergies), she's been on a raw diet for like 2 weeks and her coat hasnt gotten any better like I hoped it would..but maybe she is going through detox?? how long does that usually take?
the last thing i can think of is maybe she has a thryoid problem..if her coat doesnt improve within a couple more weeks then i'm going to have to have her tested...

Eastwood Great Danes
12-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Are you interested in one of my pups or just looking for a debate? I am not much into playing games online. I don't know any Dane breeders who test patellas and very few do elbows. I do what I feel is necessary. :)

As for an all fish diet. Bad idea. A dog can not get everything they need from fish alone.
Carrots do not provide any nutrition what so ever to a dog unless they are ground to a pulp to break open the cells that hold the nutrients. Canine teeth are not designed to nor can they break open the cells to release the nutrients. That goes for all vegatables. Totally useless unless pulped or juiced.
My dogs like them to, but I am aware they get nothing from them. Dogs are carnivores and their teeth are designed to eat raw meaty bones. This is why you never see a dog raiding a garden or grazing a corn field.
It can take awhile with detox, but you might look into other reasons for the oily skin. Thyroid testing is a good place to start.

.sarah
12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
As for an all fish diet. Bad idea. A dog can not get everything they need from fish alone.
Okay, I guess kibble will be the way to go for them, then. Unless if I find out it's a grain allergy. Thanks :)

CagneyDog
12-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Gorgeous dogs :eek:

I don't know any Dane breeders who test patellas and very few do elbows. I do what I feel is necessary.

Just curious, what health tests are neccesary for Danes?

Is there waiting lists for your puppies ?

Eastwood Great Danes
12-13-2005, 11:20 PM
The main 4 are hips, eyes, heart and thyroid.
I always have a waiting list when I do a breeding.

Uabassoon
12-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi and welcome to PT! I'm mostly owned by two cats, Corkscrew and Tibby you can see them in my signature. I'm also a stepmom to my girlfriends JRT mix Payson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/IMG_2945.jpg

Eastwood Great Danes
12-14-2005, 06:16 AM
"Wow, I've never heard that! Is there something in kibble that attracts fleas?"

There are many things in kibble that are nothing more then fillers and of no nutritional use. Grains being the main thing. All of the nutrients in kibble are in synthetic form. That is why there is a list of vitamins and minerals listed in the ingredients. Those are not added for any other reason then if they weren't put there in synthetic form, they would simply not exist. so just imagine if all you ever ate was potato chips and got all the rest of your essentials in a bottle of vitamins. Sure you could live this way and your hair might even be shiny but would you truly be as healthy as you would be if you were getting all of your nutrients from fresh whole foods?
Total cereal is a 'complete' meal. How healthy do you think you would be/feel if you ate that and that alone 3 times a day for the next 10 to 12 years?
So add to that all the chemicals that are put in and on our dogs in the name of prevention. Essentially treating them for things they do not have. Add to that Multiple vaccinations that assault the immune system and are given annually in most cases when it has been proven that the core vaccines last for 7 years. Ask yourself..... Why are you not getting your baby shots every year for the rest of your life? A persons system and a dogs system were designed much better then anyone gives them credit for otherwise extinction would have occurred long ago.
The bottom line is that the better the food you put in your dog, the healthier he will be. The least amount of chemicals that are put on or in a dog, the healthier he will be. Critters like Fleas and ticks are not interested in dogs that are truly healthy.
We have a VERY limited vaccine protocol for our dogs. One parvo shot at 12 weeks and one distemper at 14 weeks and nothing else the rest of their lives aside from rabies because it is the law. We use the best sources of food, all raw and filled with nutrients in natural form. We use an all natural heart worm prevention so we are not putting drugs or chemicals in or on our dogs. The results have been amazing!

AllAmericanPUP
12-14-2005, 07:45 AM

Are you interested in one of my pups or just looking for a debate? I am not much into playing games online. I don't know any Dane breeders who test patellas and very few do elbows. I do what I feel is necessary. :)

no i was just curious

pitc9
12-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Welcome! Nice looking dogs!
I am owned by two German Shepherd rescues Sierra & Buddy.
I have to say... In My Opinion the picture of your dog eating the pig was disturbing.
I feed kibble. (Obviously... :p :D )

CagneyDog
12-14-2005, 04:05 PM
This isn’t meant to start anything but is there an particular reason why you don’t health test your danes?

dab_20
12-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Welcome!! :D Sorry... I can't see the pics of your great danes, but the one in your siggy is gorgous!!

I am owned by a 1 year old toy poodle mix named Molli and a 4 month old cocker spaniel named Sammy. You can see their pics in my siggy.

BC_MoM
12-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Heh, I'm late on this but... WELCOME! :D

Danes make the top 10 list of my favourite breeds. I'd love to own one some day. :)

CathyBogart
12-14-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm coming late to this thread- but welcome! The dane in your signature is just stunning!

ETA: I'm a bit disappointed to read that I'm not really doing anything for my two by giving them carrots as treats....but they enjoy crunching on them and they're both in good health, so oh well. :)