PDA

View Full Version : I'm Worried About Katie

RobiLee
12-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Katie has me really worried and a bit scared. She has been panting non stop for quite awhile now and about 20 or 30 minutes ago I noticed that she is also shaking or maybe I should say shivering like she is freezing or something. She will not leave my side at all. If I move she moves with me and I'm talking right against my leg with me. As I'm sitting here she is snuggled right against the chair. ohhhh, she is now standing up against me panting and shivering away. I don't think she can get comfortable. ohh, geesh, i just realized that Tori is curled up under the desk looking from me to Katie. I don't think she wants to leave Katie. Ok, I have to get dressed I'm still in my pajamas. I don't know if I'll have to take her to the vet or not. Is she sick? Did something scare her? I just don't know. I'll watch her for awhile and see how things go. Thanks for letting me voice my concerns.

Alysser
12-11-2005, 11:07 AM
I am no dog sickness expert but maybe you should call the vet first instead of going. She sounds cold. I am really sorry I couldn't help more! Best of luck!

.sarah
12-11-2005, 11:12 AM
^^ But if she was just cold she wouldn't be panting. I would take her to the vet, or at least call for some advice. They'll probably need to do a physical exam, though.

dukedogsmom
12-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Oh dear. I hope it's nothing serious. I would at least call the vet. Sometimes Duke's back legs shake when he needs a good potty(bm). Please give her a hug from me and let us know what the vet says.

finn's mom
12-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I would definitely call the vet, if not take her. :( Poor girl, I hope it's nothing too serious. :(

My Peanuts
12-11-2005, 11:24 AM
I would call the vet and tell them exactly what you told us. I don't mean to scare you, but sometimes panting means a dog is in pain. It wouldn’t hurt to give the vet a call.

I would also check her feet or her skin to see if she stepped on something or cut herself. Maybe she has something stuck in her foot or a cracked paw.

Prayers are on the way.

elizabethann
12-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Fenway shakes when he's cold and also when he hears thunder and fireworks. Perhaps something scared her. I would call the vet just in case.

cyber-sibes
12-11-2005, 11:59 AM
OH NO, poor Katie! Yes, I'd call the vets RIGHT NOW. This is very odd behavior for her, and if Tori seems worried too, there may be reason for concern. Prayers for dear sweet Katie & you on their way. pm me if you like. (((((((hugs))))))))

poofy
12-11-2005, 12:09 PM
I hope she will be ok.. :( Please let us know. :(

Kfamr
12-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Oh no! :( I hope your vets are open on Sundays... how scary. I'd certainly call them if you can and see what they suggest. I know a lot of dogs pant/shake when they're nervous or scared... could there have been something that spooked her or stressed her?

Give my Katie bear some big hugs from me (Make sure Tori gets some too!)... let us know how she's feeling.

slleipnir
12-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Oh Katie, I hope you are ok!

How scary! Please let us know how she is doing! I hope it's nothing serious and she recovers quickly :(

LoudLou
12-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Katie, I hope you are ok soon! LOUD LOuie sends you "Get Well" vibes ASAP!

lizbud
12-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Those symptoms sound strange.If she ate & has been drinking her
water, gone potty, etc., I guess I would just watch her for awhile for
other signs of illness. If I'm ever in doubt, I would try to talk to a Vet.
I hope this passes quickly & Katie acts like her normal self soon. Good
luck with this.

Cookiebaker
12-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh my, poor Katie! :( :eek: I do hope that she is OK, and I know how worried you must be. Please check in with us when you can. Meanwhile, I'll be thinking of both you and her. :(

CagneyDog
12-11-2005, 01:17 PM
I hope she is alright :(

RobiLee
12-11-2005, 01:18 PM
She is calming down. Still seems a bit tense though and she will absolutely not leave my side. I had the hardest time trying to get dressed because she is stuck to me like glue and because she is acting that way Tori won't leave me either. The panting has almost stopped and the shakes seem to come and go but they are nothing like when I first saw her shivering. She is at my feet and sleeping and seems to be comfortable.

Now I am wondering if she got scared. The neighbor's storm door was blowing in the wind, AGAIN. It makes an awful noise every time it hits. This happens quite alot and Katie doesn't like it. She doesn't freak out though, she just knows its something different and shouldn't be going on. I usually go right over and close the door. Today I was lazy and didn't go shut it. When I got dressed I finally went over to shut it and Katie and Tori watched me from the window. Was it the door? Did the banging get to her and cause her to stress out? I don't know. I'll keep watch and see if she has any more symptoms.

She looks to be completely relaxed and sleeping good now.

Thanks Everyone!

Dot
12-11-2005, 01:31 PM
If Katie continues with the strange behavior, I think you should have her seen by a vet or at least call one. Be prepared to tell them, though, what her temperature is; that will be important for them to know.

luvofallhorses
12-11-2005, 01:32 PM
I hope she feels better soon! (((hugs)))

Vela
12-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Ginger is afraid of thunder storms and acts exactly that way when she is scared. She pants like crazy, becomes glued to me, and shakes. I sounds as though something could have scared her, especially since she seems to be calming down now. It coudl be something physical so I would just watch and see if it gets worse or starts up again. Hopefully something just scared her and it's nothing serious!

Feel better Katie.

tz1
12-11-2005, 03:02 PM
poor Katie ((hugs))!

hope she feels better

Cincy'sMom
12-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Poor Katie!! Glad to hear you seem to be doing better!

Cincy pants a lot and shakes when she is scared. I hope that is all it was!!

Allecto
12-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Most likely, she was just scared by the storm door. However, I would still talk to the vet. I had a golden who had a seizure disorder, and some of her minor seizures caused her to display similar symptoms, always followed by a long, deep sleep. Don't panic, I don't want to stress you out too much, since it is totally likely that it was justher being very afraid, but please consider giving the vet a call anyway. Especially if it happens again.

ParNone
12-11-2005, 03:40 PM
hi Robin!

Glad to hear Katie's doing better. Sending some positive thoughts her way that it was just that she was scared.

Les...

tatsxxx11
12-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Oh dear, Robin:( I know, we all know, that sinking, scary feeling you were experiencing!:( A bit relieved to hear that Katie seems to be relaxing a bit more now. Every time one of my girls has experienced the symptoms that you described, they've either had fevers or were frightened over something! I do hope it was the latter! Please, give her a hug for us and one is on the way for you, too! Feel better, dear Katie! Your PT aunties and uncles love you!:)

wolf_Q
12-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Oh no, I hope Katie is ok, please give her a hug for me. Reggie acts like that when he's scared too, like with fireworks...pants, shakes, wants to be next to somebody all the time. I hope it was just because she was frightened.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Poor Katie :( She's probably jsut afraid and stressed out about the door. Tango is an extremely nervous dog and she pants, shakes and sticks really close to me like you described Katie when she's afraid of something. I'm glad to hear she's calming down a bit.

RobiLee
12-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Thank you everyone.

Katie seems fine but she has been asleep since I last posted so of course I'm worried that she is so tired. I have never seen Katie scared before so I'm not for sure if that was the case. When something gets Katie's attention and is different she is usually more alert, cautious and curious at the same time and she will stay close to whoever she is with but not close like today. Today she was leaning on me and sitting on my feet. I have just never seen her like this before. I think I will call the vet in the morning just to let him know what happened and hear what he might think.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Poor girl! I'd call your vet as soon as you can. I'm guessing that she just scared? :confused: Only Katie knows why she is acting this way!

Give the sweet lil' girl my love.

Lobodeb
12-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't check in much on the weekends, so I'm sorry I almost missed this. I hope she continues to get back to "normal."

Katie, don't scare us like that!

Vette
12-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Accck!!

i hope shes alright.
all paws and fingers crossed for her

Ginger's Mom
12-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Oh wow, sorry I am just seeing this now. Poor Katie. Yeah, Robin I would still call the vet in the morning it can't hurt. I hope everything continues to improve, and it was just a reaction to the neighbor's noisy door. Please give her a gentle hug for me.

wolfie
12-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Poor girl! Daphne acts the same exact way when there is thunder or fireworks, even far in the distance.

ontariogreys
12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
It does sound like it was fear related and tiredness after all that anxiety would be normal.

In case this ever happens again one thing that will be helpful is if you learn to take a temp, have your vet show you how. There is a condition called hyperthermia which can be caused by anesthesia or extreme stress, which can cause the dog to overheat to the point where they start seizing or go into a coma and die.

My greyhound Maya is extremely fearful, after a vet visit and once home instead of calming down like she usually does , her panting continue to become faster and shallower and she started to look very very ill, having been in the past involved with a greyhound haul where one grey did overheat from stress and start seizing, and buckets of cold water had to be poured over him immediately, I realized then what was wrong with her and ran and grabbed a bunch of towels soaking them in cold water and threw them over her, it took about 20 minutes for her breathing to start normalizing and she was looking a lot better within half an hour and then she had a good long sleep.

In your case she was not that over stress and was able to cool herself down on her own, but having a thermometer on hand will let you know for sure if there is a potential for hyperthermia to occur and to know if you are going to have to help her cool down

KYS
12-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Your post scared me, I was worried until you
stated she was now able to relax and stop panting.

I am glad she is doing better.
The only times that Sheba (who is very independent)
was clingy, is when she is scared or feeling
real sick.
If she acts that way again today, I think the vet is
a good idea if you can not pin down that the cause
is from fear.

Rocky sends likes of hugs to his girl.

Daisy and Delilah
12-11-2005, 06:40 PM
I sure hope Katie is okay Robin. Like many others have said, Delilah acts exactly like that when she's scared of thunder or anything else. Feel better Katie :)

cloverfdx
12-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh Robin i only just saw this now. How is Katie girl doing today? I hope all is well.

{{Hugs}}

shais_mom
12-11-2005, 11:19 PM
I hope she is feeling better!
{{hugs}}

captain
12-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Sorry I only got to this post now Robin.

How is Katie-darlin today? {{{hugs}}} to her, and to you :)

lv4dogs
12-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Hope she's feeling better today.

cyber-sibes
12-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Monday - how's Katie today, Robin?

RobiLee
12-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

Katie seems just fine this morning. She is still sleeping but that is normal she has always been a late sleeper. She finally woke up yesterday evening about 6. She ate all of her food and finally went out to potty. She hadn't been out since it all started. Alden came home at 7 and Katie was happy to see her daddy. Her and Tori played for just a bit and then she went right back to sleep. I will be keeping a close eye on her and making sure there aren't any more symptoms.

Thanks for all the support and for just being there. I really appreciate it. Our furkids sure can scare us!

Jadapit
12-12-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm just now seeing this. I bet that did give you quite a scare. I'm so gald Katie is ok.